GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Overall “Value” Tune for MK7/7.5 GTI 6MT

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Went with EQT for ease of use, resale value and the fact I can get a pro tune down the line if I upgrade.

Hopefully the stock clutch can last a little longer than APR but I’m prepared to upgrade.

Thanks Everyone!

Im still waiting for mine to go. Bought mine new, has 13k on it now, pretty much all of that at stage 2. I never launch it, rev match every time and stay out of more than 50% throttle unless im over 2800RPM's or so.

Looking forward to putting a DKM Twin disc in it and going E85 when the time comes.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
One of the JB units does seem like the best value. Purchase a used one and sell it when you're through with it. Probably walk away at just about no cost.

yeah but the power isn’t the biggest issue from the factory, it’s throttle response/ramping, which a JB4 can’t help. Unless you also add a pedaltuner.

a stock power engine with better throttle response is more fun to drive than a stock throttle response with increased power. My last, DSG GTI drove better on stock power with a pedaltuner than it did with the Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU tunes. The Uni tunes didn’t alter throttle, just power (like a JB4). And the TCU... don’t even get me started.

Just get a good ECU/TCU tune. APR is hard to knock, but if you want to keep growing then Cobb is best, using EQT/Stratified/Sneekytuned/whoever else is tuning on Cobb.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
yeah but the power isn’t the biggest issue from the factory, it’s throttle response/ramping, which a JB4 can’t help. Unless you also add a pedaltuner.

a stock power engine with better throttle response is more fun to drive than a stock throttle response with increased power. My last, DSG GTI drove better on stock power with a pedaltuner than it did with the Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU tunes. The Uni tunes didn’t alter throttle, just power (like a JB4). And the TCU... don’t even get me started.

Just get a good ECU/TCU tune. APR is hard to knock, but if you want to keep growing then Cobb is best, using EQT/Stratified/Sneekytuned/whoever else is tuning on Cobb.
I don't agree that the stock pedal to throttle plate mapping is an issue.

dmsyr

Ready to race!
Went with EQT for ease of use, resale value and the fact I can get a pro tune down the line if I upgrade.

Hopefully the stock clutch can last a little longer than APR but I’m prepared to upgrade.

Thanks Everyone!
Nice! Enjoy!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I don't agree that the stock pedal to throttle plate mapping is an issue.
Well, there you have it. A difference in opinion.

My experience with 7 VWs (2 Jettas, 1 CC, 3 GTIs, and an Alltrack) leads me to believe otherwise. My primary concern is, and has always been, factory throttle response/ramping. MTs don’t suffer from the same woes as DSGs, but besides My Mk6, 6MTs always lack gearing. DSGs do too, but a tune alleviates the issue.

this is my personal experience across 2 MK5/B6 platforms, 1 MK6, and 3 MK7s.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

My experience with 7 VWs (2 Jettas, 1 CC, 3 GTIs, and an Alltrack) leads me to believe otherwise. My primary concern is, and has always been, factory throttle response/ramping. MTs don’t suffer from the same woes as DSGs, but besides My Mk6, 6MTs always lack gearing. DSGs do too, but a tune alleviates the issue.

If the issue has persisted across 7 different vehicles the odds are small that the issue is with each vehicle.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT

The gearing in my mk7.5 6MT gearing is in my opinion hysterically long compared to the Japanese tuners I’m used too.

The throttle sucks though. Even tuned, it may be more responsive or smoother, but it still feels like shit compared to something like my FRS.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The gearing in my mk7.5 6MT gearing is in my opinion hysterically long compared to the Japanese tuners I’m used too.

The throttle sucks though. Even tuned, it may be more responsive or smoother, but it still feels like shit compared to something like my FRS.

it IS hilariously long. Annoyingly so.

Honestly I do believe there is still room for a low-sensitivity pedal tuner stacked with an ECU tune. The throttle was excellent on my DSG GTI on stock power with a pedal tuner.

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
I don’t mind all that so much, but I’m 6MT. However, the Rev Hang to me in first to second was brutal on stock tune…

I literally had to wait like 1.5 seconds for the RPMs to drop for a smooth shift.

So far after a couple days Stage 1 93 octane the car is pulling very nice mid to upper RPM Range. I can actually truly feel the boost engage now. It’s a nice surge at 28.4 PSI!

I think an exhuast and some lowering springs and I will be good for awhile. At least until next summer and I want Moar Power!!!!!

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
EQT hands-down! I've got their stage 1 + DSG tune. :cool:

outatime55

Car(s)
mk7 gti
Hi all. I just got a EQT stage 1 91 oct tune on my mk7.5 gti. In general car feels much more powerful and smoother than the COBB stage 1 OTS. The only downside I can see with the tune is "too much power". Anything on WOT in 2nd results in traction control jumps. I have tried both standard TC and COBBC TC e and its still not great. I have michellin PS4 tyres on the car so i think the tyres are pretty good. This is another reason I went with a 91 oct tune to keep the power down a bit.

I'm guessing its somewhere around 310hp atm. Stock is 240hp. EQT target PSI seems to be about 26psi.

What I would love to know, can anyone recommend an OTS tune available for my car that somewhere around 280HP (maybe 21-22psi)? I believe this would make the car more enjoyable for myself as I could let it rev out in 2nd gear without TC kicking in?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi all. I just got a EQT stage 1 91 oct tune on my mk7.5 gti. In general car feels much more powerful and smoother than the COBB stage 1 OTS. The only downside I can see with the tune is "too much power". Anything on WOT in 2nd results in traction control jumps. I have tried both standard TC and COBBC TC e and its still not great. I have michellin PS4 tyres on the car so i think the tyres are pretty good. This is another reason I went with a 91 oct tune to keep the power down a bit.

I'm guessing its somewhere around 310hp atm. Stock is 240hp. EQT target PSI seems to be about 26psi.

What I would love to know, can anyone recommend an OTS tune available for my car that somewhere around 280HP (maybe 21-22psi)? I believe this would make the car more enjoyable for myself as I could let it rev out in 2nd gear without TC kicking in?
You could get the custom tune from EQT and they'll set it the way you want. You must not have a limited slip diff.

outatime55

Car(s)
mk7 gti
Correct I do not have a LSD.

I could but that's another $500. I was hoping to find an OTS with less boost/power. Maybe EQT could do a stage 0.5 :)

Am I the only one wanting less power. Im getting old I know :)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Correct I do not have a LSD.

I could but that's another $500. I was hoping to find an OTS with less boost/power. Maybe EQT could do a stage 0.5 :)

Am I the only one wanting less power. Im getting old I know :)
It's expensive but you could get a Wavetrac LSD. Are you only seeing the traction light flicker? Do you have screeching tires because it's slipping so much?

outatime55

Car(s)
mk7 gti
yes i;m seeing the TC light flicker. Tires not really screeching before TC preventing this.

I just had a thought, I can adjust the ignition TC setting from the AP. Might play with that :)