GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Overall “Value” Tune for MK7/7.5 GTI 6MT

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I’m considering tuning my MK7 GTI with at least stage 1, but would also consider the options of possibly going to a stage 2 down the line. Once warranty expires and I feel like I need MOAR power!

So I’ve had a MK7 GTI with Map Performance before and a MK7 Golf R with Stage 1 APR

The reason I’m saying value, is I like the fact that APR produces such huge power gains but you are kind of stuck after you chip it.

With Map performance it’s Cobb Accessport which I’ve had in Multiple vehicles. I like Cobb as a company and especially Map Performance. Nothing but good things from them in my book. (I’m leaning this route to keep the options open of a pro tune stage 1 or 2 down the line)

I know there are a lot of other tuning options as well but I’m not familiar with those at all.

Feel free to make your case or tell the reason you went with the tune you did. Even if it’s not the two I listed.

I realize you can’t really go wrong with any of them.

Thanks in Advance,
A2

sponger85

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 Alltrack & 20 GTI
Best value without voiding warranty, flashing ecu, and easily removed at home is a piggyback tune like the Burger Motorsports JB1. You can go JB4 model for a little more power, but there are more steps to install it as you need to install a wire tap etc.

I had a JB1 then went to APR1 (87) on my Golf Alltrack, and I might say the butt dyno rated them similar power or maybe slight advantage to JB1 (APR is smoother at delivery though).

For my 2020 GTI, I went back to JB1 for ease of use and ability to remove it back to stock at home without flashing the ECU. I will keep this setup until the power train warranty expires.

Cheers!

Reactions: A2R

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
One of the JB units does seem like the best value. Purchase a used one and sell it when you're through with it. Probably walk away at just about no cost.

dmsyr

Ready to race!
I just went stage 2 EQT via Cobb AP a few days ago and holy hell. It's awesome. I'm still learning things about the tune and specifics and all that. Absolutely love it.

Came from a custom jb4 map6 tuned on e30. And holy hell, that was awesome too. Ran that setup with full bolt ons until my warranty period ran out and went EQT. I definitely enjoyed it while it was installed. If you are concerned about warranty, get a jb4.

Here in my area, 3 different mqb engines failed that had APR tunes.. so there's that. I would avoid APR.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Open source and tune it yourself. Hard to beat for less than $50 ;-)

Most people I will recommend Cobb AP, EQT tunes are good. Get one used with compatible tunes already on it for best value.

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
I’m leaning toward either Map Performace stage 1 93 octane if they still support 2020 platform. The website says 2015-2018…

Also researching the JB1 while I’m still under warranty.

Thanks for all the opinions, it’s scary hearing about 3 APRs going boom, I know they add a ton of boost and high power so it isn’t out of the question. I would be Interested to see what other mods those cars had etc.

Im still waiting on this car lol, I did get my boomba weighted shifter the other day so I’m excited!

I will check our sneeky tunes, I had never heard of them. That’s why I posted this thread!

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
If you're going the Cobb route, I'd recommend EQT or SneekyTuned.

If you want to go with a "Boutique" set it and forget it type option, I can't speak to APR, but I did have Integrated Engineering for some time and it really is a pretty solid tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m leaning toward either Map Performace stage 1 93 octane if they still support 2020 platform. The website says 2015-2018…

Thanks for all the opinions, it’s scary hearing about 3 APRs going boom, I know they add a ton of boost and high power so it isn’t out of the question. I would be Interested to see what other mods those cars had etc.

Im still waiting on this car lol, I did get my boomba weighted shifter the other day so I’m excited!

I will check our sneeky tunes, I had never heard of them. That’s why I posted this thread!
There's no way to say that any one tuning company is causing blown engines more then any other tuning company. We don't know how hard someone drove their car or maintained it.

dmsyr

Ready to race!

Yeah I'm not sure on 2 of them but from what I understand one was full bolt on. The common denominator is the tune company, but as mentioned I also can't say it was the tune that caused the failures. Still... Unsettling.

I mean I had catastrophic engine failure and I wasn't even tuned (just a DP and modified stock intake) casually driving home from work one day. But mine is an early build 2015 and was a rare failure from what I was told. Got a new engine and turbo courtesy of VWoA on that.

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah I'm not sure on 2 of them but from what I understand one was full bolt on. The common denominator is the tune company, but as mentioned I also can't say it was the tune that caused the failures. Still... Unsettling.

I mean I had catastrophic engine failure and I wasn't even tuned (just a DP and modified stock intake) casually driving home from work one day. But mine is an early build 2015 and was a rare failure from what I was told. Got a new engine and turbo courtesy of VWoA on that.

I would assume that modifying the Down pipe and intake without changing the tune, would in turn make it much more likely for an engine failure. I always thought you needed at least a good Stage 2 map. Otherwise it’s kind of like getting an liver and lung (down pipe/ intake) transplant and just expecting your body to be fine. Without taking medication(tune) to ensure they work effectively…

However I’m not a Doctor or even a Mechanic for that matter. I’m a simple Layman.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I would assume that modifying the Down pipe and intake without changing the tune, would in turn make it much more likely for an engine failure. I always thought you needed at least a good Stage 2 map. Otherwise it’s kind of like getting an liver and lung (down pipe/ intake) transplant and just expecting your body to be fine. Without taking medication(tune) to ensure they work effectively…

However I’m not a Doctor or even a Mechanic for that matter. I’m a simple Layman.

The car will be fine running an aftermarket DP with a stage 1 or stock tune. You're now at least a nurse.

dmsyr

Ready to race!

That's the thing.. Most people (even on here) attributed the fiasco to the mods with no tune. BUT my engine and turbo were covered under warranty, modified and all. They even put the aftermarket parts back on when they replaced everything. There MUST be a direct connection between the modifications and IF they contributed to the failures. In my case, there was no direct connection they could find, so my warranty claim was approved.

First thing the tech asks after he initially looks at it is "you don't have a tune on it, do you?" And I said no obviously because I wasn't.. obviously. Cost VWoA a nut hair short of $15k for parts and labor. Thank fuck it was covered. Lol.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'd just pick up a JB4 while trying to decide. You can get a used one with Bluetooth for around $300.

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
Went with EQT for ease of use, resale value and the fact I can get a pro tune down the line if I upgrade.

Hopefully the stock clutch can last a little longer than APR but I’m prepared to upgrade.

Thanks Everyone!