GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best option for more camber

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Golf R, stock DCC suspension + CSS Knuckles = -2.1 camber. I will probably get either H&R OE Sport springs or Eibach Pro-kit springs with either Bilstein B6 or B4 DCC dampers.
If I were to do it today at today's prices, I would go with the Eurosport puck inserts...
Stock springs? How did you get that much camber with just knuckles?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The other thing I didn’t consider until today is that I should get some negative camber just lowering the car, correct? Anyone have an idea how much negative camber I would get with JUST v3 coilovers lowered one inch? Based on the driving I do (daily/canyons on the weekend) my sense is that might do the trick
Lowering does increase static negative camber, but your camber will be exactly the same through the full range of the suspension.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Lowering helps the geometry and adds negative camber, until it does't anymore (like @odessa.filez mentions). When lowering, if the springs are too soft you'll find yourself compressing the suspension and ending up on the wrong side of the camber curve.

Adding static camber helps mitigate the camber loss under compression. To be clear, on any McStrut car once the LCA inverts (goes "above" parallel") you are now losing camber. Having a bunch of static camber means even though you are losing camber in compression, you should still have net negative camber. Stiffer springs also aid in this as well, since they prevent the car from rolling, thus compressing the suspension and costing camber. A combination of stiffer springs + static camber is the ideal answer.

Based on your analysis of reaching the "limit" abruptly, it sounds like the car is rolling, camber is going positive and immediately falling off. Do you know your current alignment specifications?
Larger front sway bar can also help keep from going into the wrong end of the camber curve.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Stock springs? How did you get that much camber with just knuckles?
The factory CSS has - 2 and uses just CSS knuckles and R front springs, so -2.1 is a rounding error.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
This was my alignment after I swapped out the CSS knuckles

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7971.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My GTI is lowered about an inch and I'm sitting at -1.9 front camber with Eurosport camber kit. I tried slotting the mounting holes for the strut bushing, but with stock diameter springs, they just hit the strut tower. Offset LCA bushing is the next step for me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ok guys, want to finally install these things.

I don't have a press. What are my options. Local shop says they'll press out old front LCA bushings front and rear locations, and press in the new ones for $100. Seems like the best option, unless I can get them out and in myself.

Then I need to get subframe centered, it's our of wack.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

I don't have a press. What are my options. Local shop says they'll press out old front LCA bushings front and rear locations, and press in the new ones for $100. Seems like the best option, unless I can get them out and in myself.

sounds high to me unless it's a minimum hour charge. paid $30-50 each time I've had a set of arms done.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

Front bushings are super easy to press out, since mostly rubber and have shoulders on them to keep them in place. rear is a PITA since it's a metal cup you have to push out, and have to press it in at the correct depth (or it falls out the other side).

I managed to do mine with a vise and a ball joint press kit (rental from O'Reilly's). $100 is a little steep, but IMO may be worth it for the lack of hassle.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Has anyone checked to see if the TT / RS3 strut mount bushings may give a little more negative camber? They have a different bearing than the rest of the MQB / MK7. But, they use the same strut mounts as the MK7.

8S0 412 249

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Has anyone checked to see if the TT / RS3 strut mount bushings may give a little more negative camber? They have a different bearing than the rest of the MQB / MK7. But, they use the same strut mounts as the MK7.

8S0 412 249
The bearing part-number cross-references to the mk7, and the mount appears to be the same between 8v, 8y, and mk7 as well. I really doubt they're any different.

The only confirmed new part number I'm aware of is the knuckle, which is shared between the Mk8R and the 8Y RS3. They look like they're cheaper than the CSS knuckles now, but not by a ton. You'd want to find someone who's fitted Mk8R calipers first, though.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Any website I use for cross reference the bearing only comes back to the TT, TTS, TTRS, and RS3. The MK7 uses bearing part number 5QM 412 249 and they are different in terms of looks right off the bat.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Any website I use for cross reference the bearing only comes back to the TT, TTS, TTRS, and RS3. The MK7 uses bearing part number 5QM 412 249 and they are different in terms of looks right off the bat.
The TT didn't get extra camber from its strut bearing.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Front Offset LCA bushing and RS3 bushing in and on the car.

The shop that did it, didn't adjust to max negative camber.

How hard is it to adjust them? Do I have to loosen the bolt holding the front LCA bushing?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Front Offset LCA bushing and RS3 bushing in and on the car.

The shop that did it, didn't adjust to max negative camber.

How hard is it to adjust them? Do I have to loosen the bolt holding the front LCA bushing?

Pain in the ass. Not enough room on my subframe to get the tool fully around the keyed insert.

Also technically need to replace the bolts again when removed/loosened.

If DSG you can unbolt the torque mount and tilt everything far enough away to sneak the bolt out without touching the subframe.

Attachments

• IMG_4705.jpeg
    IMG_4705.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40