GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best intercooler for a gti

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
What reason do you have for taking this leap? It's easier to assume the guy is just not as perfect and consistent as he should be. I would assume there's more data for the IEv1 because maybe that's what he ran on his own time, and had more data for.
Read the last sentence of the post. ;)

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
The three highest rated on that one chart that floats around are ie v2, do88, and Apr. it is a combination of flow and how much it lowers IAT.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Dealer tried to deny my aux water pump, claiming I voided my warranty because of the tune. I told them my warranty isn't with them, it's with VWoA and to submit the claim. VW approved it.

Why dealers want to make themselves the bad guy, I'll never know. Let VW deny it and customer is mad at VW, not you.

Makes no sense.
I had a dealer fight me on recalibrating the front acc after less than 1k miles. Took car on first drive on way home, nothing hit the front, no pothole, nothing, I get the acc warning. I created a scene and told them to submit it to VWoA. On another car had a clutch go after 950 miles. Mind you I was 30 and every car I had owned before was manual. Fought tooth and nail on it with VWoA for two weeks. They finally sent a rep out to inspect it as it was opened up and they found a catastrophic failure from a manufacturing defect. Needless to say I don’t respect vw. Never had to fight for coverage on a stock car with any other manufacturer.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Dealer tried to deny my aux water pump, claiming I voided my warranty because of the tune. I told them my warranty isn't with them, it's with VWoA and to submit the claim. VW approved it.

Why dealers want to make themselves the bad guy, I'll never know. Let VW deny it and customer is mad at VW, not you.

Makes no sense.
They fight it, because they can't charge you whatever they want to fix it. Dealerships make less money on warranty repairs than when it's on your dime.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
They fight it, because they can't charge you whatever they want to fix it. Dealerships make less money on warranty repairs than when it's on your dime.

I guess, but it limits longterm relationships, reduces chances that people will go there for service, and buying additional cars from them. With almost all large cities having VW Facebook groups, I guarentee these types of dealers are losing sales due to word of mouth.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
In the links you've pointed out, there's a discrepancy in data which lead me to believe there's third party data included. His data for IE v1 and IE v2 claims to have 4 and 9 observations, respectively, but his IAT table have 19 and 12 data points, respectively. Did he decide to reinstall the intercoolers and do more pulls? Where did these extra 15 pulls on v1 and 3 on v2 come from? If Jeff was doing all the pulls, why did he use such a haphazard amount of pulls for each intercooler? Even in his IE v1 vs v2 test, Jeff said he did more pulls on the v2 which affected IAT data. I'm not saying the data is irrelevant or useless, I'm saying it should not be used as "proof" one intercooler is better than another.

At this point, I'm sure I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to mine. I'll just leave it what it is.
The IE comparison was made in October 2020, the URL indicates when that table was uploaded. The boxplot was from December 2021, also shown by the URL. The increased number of data points in the 14 months later chart is from additional use of the products. There are posts showing the IE still being used.

Agreed, the data shouldn't be used as "proof" that one IC is better than another. That boxplot you linked to, also shown below, supports that. The interquartile range for almost every aftermarket intercooler overlaps. That's evidence pointing to "no significant difference" in the means. Also, the means are almost all within a 5-degree range, which is likely a negligible difference in temperature as far as the effect on power output is concerned.

This chart provides evidence of every aftermarket IC tested being an improvement versus the stock IC. This is indicated by the large gap between the stock IC and the aftermarket IC data points.

stock_location_IC_temp_delta.png

A

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Jim would constantly hit me with the “when u coming back to the forums”

figure now is a pretty good time. How are you and yours daks?
Doin' the dirty like we do. Got a woman pregnant, baby came as a result - got a hybrid, car hauls ass. Livin' life a quarter mile at a time. No complaints whatsoever.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
May we plz consider placement of the intercooler?

not saying stock location upgrades are bad. On the contrary but like, 800 cubic inches for an is20 or is38 seems crazy.

Like, offsetting the negatives that comes with stock location by just making a big ass expensive slightly more involving to install intercooler seems crazy to me.

for those of you with that sensor in the bottom of the front bumper. Y’all really have no choice and that bites. But for the rest of us, fmic is an outstanding option that gets away with a ton of success thanks to its location vs the stock location.