GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best First Mods (2021 GTI S)

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I didn’t plan on changing the dp yet which is why I planned to go with the awe track edition catback for now as I can add the resonator (touring edition) to it if/when I upgrade the stock dp. I’ve been told the track edition without the resonator combined with the stock dp is the best way to get a nice sound at first. The touring edition with the stock dp is barely a change. Is that correct?

The two big restrictions on the stock exhaust (for sound) are the big fluffy cat in the stock downpipe and the resonator in the stock catback. I'm not going to tell you exactly what combination of the touring/track/stock sounds better purely because I haven't heard the touring in person so I wouldn't want to give you inaccurate advice.

At the same time, I ran aftermarket downpipe/stock catback on my last GTI and it sounded alright. On my current car I have the same downpipe but with the AWE track. It sounds awesome, but it can get pretty loud at some points. Downpipe is a good way to feel out sound changes if that's high on your list.

tl;dr If you think you'll get the itch for a downpipe down the road, I would tell you to spend the $700 on that instead of a catback.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I would do CDV and clutch pedal spring deletes first, as well as a clutch stop. Those are inexpensive or free and make a big difference in shift and pedal feel.

After that I'd do the DieselGeek Sigma 6 shifter and SuperPin.

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
The two big restrictions on the stock exhaust (for sound) are the big fluffy cat in the stock downpipe and the resonator in the stock catback. I'm not going to tell you exactly what combination of the touring/track/stock sounds better purely because I haven't heard the touring in person so I wouldn't want to give you inaccurate advice.

At the same time, I ran aftermarket downpipe/stock catback on my last GTI and it sounded alright. On my current car I have the same downpipe but with the AWE track. It sounds awesome, but it can get pretty loud at some points. Downpipe is a good way to feel out sound changes if that's high on your list.

tl;dr If you think you'll get the itch for a downpipe down the road, I would tell you to spend the $700 on that instead of a catback
My plan was to do the awe track exhaust now, feel out the sound, and then possibly add a downpipe down the line. I was going to do this before I tuned it as from my understanding adding a downpipe you need to tune it as well. I’m fine with the car being loud af eventually which is why I’m thinking of doing the catback first before adding the downpipe because if I like the sound then I’ll end up saving a couple hundred without needing the resonator and if I don’t, I can just add the resonator to tame it a bit. I guess from what you’re saying you could do it the opposite way and get the downpipe first then add the catback and resonator, if needed.

My only logic with putting the catback on first was not needing a tune like I would with the dp

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I didn’t plan on changing the dp yet which is why I planned to go with the awe track edition catback for now as I can add the resonator (touring edition) to it if/when I upgrade the stock dp. I’ve been told the track edition without the resonator combined with the stock dp is the best way to get a nice sound at first. The touring edition with the stock dp is barely a change. Is that correct?

Any reason in particular you go with the Raceseng over BFI?

All their products are hand made in the USA, attention to detail is top notch, and they really just make some superb looking/feeling products. Short of that it’s just personal preference. Buy what you like.

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
I would do CDV and clutch pedal spring deletes first, as well as a clutch stop. Those are inexpensive or free and make a big difference in shift and pedal feel.

The CDV is that little yellow restrictor in the clutch line right? I planned to do that when I can take it to my dads machine shop and spill brake fluid everywhere plus have a helper. Until then my landlord and HOA would be pissed and I’m not a huge fan of bleeding lines alone

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
All their products are hand made in the USA, attention to detail is top notch, and they really just make some superb looking/feeling products. Short of that it’s just personal preference. Buy what you like.
All great points. I didn’t know they were made in the USA. That’s a big plus. Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You guys are the shit! Thank you! I’m looking into EQT as we speak. About to purchase the powerflex dogbone tonight!

Any other suggestions on first few mods? Got one vote for the intercooler! Which brand would you suggest Jim?
I have the AMS IC in the stock location and I like it a lot. I'll put the link below.
But first you need to decide if you want an IC that sits in the OEM location or a true front mount IC. There's lots of good ones available.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products...-intercooler-for-vw-gti-golf-r-gli-audi-s3-a3

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI

Going to look into the DieselGeek stuff as well! Is that the consensus best short shifter kit?

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
I have the AMS IC in the stock location and I like it a lot. I'll put the link below.
But first you need to decide if you want an IC that sits in the OEM location or a true front mount IC. There's lots of good ones available.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products...-intercooler-for-vw-gti-golf-r-gli-audi-s3-a3
I would assume the difference would depend a lot on the amount of work I’d want to put in to it? Sounds like a front mount would involve a lot more work but I’m assuming have more benefits?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would assume the difference would depend a lot on the amount of work I’d want to put in to it? Sounds like a front mount would involve a lot more work but I’m assuming have more benefits?
If you mean the true front mount IC is more work it's actually the opposite.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
The CDV is that little yellow restrictor in the clutch line right? I planned to do that when I can take it to my dads machine shop and spill brake fluid everywhere plus have a helper. Until then my landlord and HOA would be pissed and I’m not a huge fan of bleeding lines alone

Yep, it's the little yellow thing. It's not too hard to do, but can be messy.

Going to look into the DieselGeek stuff as well! Is that the consensus best short shifter kit?

DieselGeek is one of the most popular and he's been selling stuff for VWs for a long time now. Plus I think it's all made in the US, and he recently updated the design as well a few months ago.

ShopDAP also recently released their own similar shifter (some would even call it a copy) but I would prefer to support the original. I've got a DieselGeek shifter in my car and love it.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Treat me like the person that knows nothing about modding that you finally get to tell them exactly how you’d do it!

Sell GTI, buy RS3.

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
If you mean the true front mount IC is more work it's actually the opposite.
Really? I would think it takes more work to relocate a part than just swap it in it’s original position. Why is it easier to do a true front mount rather than keep it in the og position and if that’s the case why’d you go the og route? Like a challenge? Lol
Yep, it's the little yellow thing. It's not too hard to do, but can be messy.

DieselGeek is one of the most popular and he's been selling stuff for VWs for a long time now. Plus I think it's all made in the US, and he recently updated the design as well a few months ago.

ShopDAP also recently released their own similar shifter (some would even call it a copy) but I would prefer to support the original. I've got a DieselGeek shifter in my car and love it.
Yeah I live in a condo with a small garage so it’d be tight and I GUARANTEE one of my nosy neighbors would report me to HOA for spilling fluid. Waiting til my dad reorganizes his shop and makes room. Shouldn’t be too long
Sell GTI, buy RS3.
Lmfao this one is by far the best suggestion and if it was feasible I’d definitely follow your advice! That’s why I’m trying not to put too much crazy money into this, enjoy it for a few years, and then trade up to the RS

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Really? I would think it takes more work to relocate a part than just swap it in it’s original position. Why is it easier to do a true front mount rather than keep it in the og position and if that’s the case why’d you go the og route? Like a challenge? Lol

Yeah I live in a condo with a small garage so it’d be tight and I GUARANTEE one of my nosy neighbors would report me to HOA for spilling fluid. Waiting til my dad reorganizes his shop and makes room. Shouldn’t be too long

Lmfao this one is by far the best suggestion and if it was feasible I’d definitely follow your advice! That’s why I’m trying not to put too much crazy money into this, enjoy it for a few years, and then trade up to the RS
I didn't install mine I had it installed. I hadn't ever had a VW before so I had the place that tuned my previous car install it and took their recommendation on the IC. I'm very happy with where I've ended up with my GTI but I should have done what you are doing and read the forum for advice.

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
I’m in the same boat with the intercooler, gonna go with the intercooler @GTI Jake makes when the wife approves the spending lol but yes I’m going true FMIC for ease of install. Throw her on jack stands, pop the bumper, couple of hose clamps pop off and cap the stock intercooler, install FMIC with a couple brackets and bolts and pop bumper back on.