GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Catted Downpipe ?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Love my AMS catted DP. Ended up getting it ceramic coated. The upper portion inside and out, lower portion outside only (to not kill the cat).

Been trouble and error code free for a few thousand miles now.

E67D6806-4DFF-452A-9A87-1254DB2CACF8.jpeg

DDF9610A-3BCC-4C63-AD3E-D592CE5DB4B5.jpeg

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The AMS is such a nice piece if it weren't for that tiny braided flex section. Unless you are running upgraded engine mounts I would be concerned for the amount of abuse it's going to take.

Nowadays there are so many nice DP's out there. IE, BCS, Bull-X are my top picks. I went with IE but it's not installed yet.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Love my Bull-X downpipe. Came with HJS cat. Great thing is it's stock quiet. Would have liked more growl, but happy with no drone.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Unitronic dp, 50k+miles no issues.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
if i were doing it again i'd pay up to get a 4" or 3.5" setup like trackslag, but i am very happy with my MAperformance setup with gesi cat. i even had them build me one with no logo on it so looks stock to average person

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The AMS is such a nice piece if it weren't for that tiny braided flex section. Unless you are running upgraded engine mounts I would be concerned for the amount of abuse it's going to take.

Nowadays there are so many nice DP's out there. IE, BCS, Bull-X are my top picks. I went with IE but it's not installed yet.

That and the 2 bolt flange set up... I wonder how the gasket will hold up... Im looking at that one myself...

I am looking for a DP with a cast elbow (or at least decent vband collar, bends, welds) and the cat placed rear-ward... feels like it will last longer there and be easier to replace.

AMS makes the only one with a nice cat (GESI) that has that configuration.... other than APR... Then there is 42DD and Billy boat... which dont look too bad either... but they have magnaflow cats...

The HPA has the hangers welded to the cat, nice packaging but the cat wont be replaceable and seems like a weakpoint.

So im about to pull the trigger on the AMS it seems....

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
That and the 2 bolt flange set up... I wonder how the gasket will hold up... Im looking at that one myself...

I am looking for a DP with a cast elbow (or at least decent vband collar, bends, welds) and the cat placed rear-ward... feels like it will last longer there and be easier to replace.

AMS makes the only one with a nice cat (GESI) that has that configuration.... other than APR... Then there is 42DD and Billy boat... which dont look too bad either... but they have magnaflow cats...

The HPA has the hangers welded to the cat, nice packaging but the cat wont be replaceable and seems like a weakpoint.

So im about to pull the trigger on the AMS it seems....

I used to own a Golf R ('15)

I've had the billy boat R downpipe - its utter shit, the most trash downpipe out there. They refunded me but it still cost me a bunch in labor to get it sorted out.

Then I had the unitronic, that was a good downpipe but at the time didnt have a good catalyst - I dont know if it's change since then.

Lastly I settled on the APR downpipe - which was a great unit and i was able to set readiness with APR stage 2 HT tune installed.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition

Just to throw another one out there....You may want to take a closer look at BCS Powervalve DP listed above. Nige at BCS does really high quality stuff. More known in Europe since they are in the UK, but again super high quality. Cat is more downstream like you are looking for. Great customer service as well.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Thought I wanted to go the catless route but after a couple of conversations with some buddies, Im going to go the high flow cat direction. Preferably NON-resonated, what are y’alls opinions on best downpipe?
I'll trade you my apr dp thats catted like I mention to you before in a pm when I tried buying your trackslag dp.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Just to throw another one out there....You may want to take a closer look at BCS Powervalve DP listed above. Nige at BCS does really high quality stuff. More known in Europe since they are in the UK, but again super high quality. Cat is more downstream like you are looking for. Great customer service as well.

It would make sense to go full TBE with that which i dont think i want to do, also i would have to get overseas shipping too right? They dont have US dealers?

Anyone has the 42DD DP in their Golf R? I cant find anything on it here other than a thread from 2015 from a GTI... I wonder how high quality their vbands are, they say they manufacture them in-house.... their fitment, etc... they look really nice....

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-mk7-golf-r-3-downpipe/
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/exhaust-system-construction/
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/exhaust-options-explained/

What do you guys think? They seemed to be more popular on Mk5s and MK6s...

edit: Would the magnaflow "59959" on the 42DD (sold for $140 online) with a 200cell metallic core rob me power? ....Over the Vibrant 7830 GESI on the AMS? (which is actually 300cell and ~$400)? ... Im maybe more worried it will last.... I dont see how it would do any worse than the GESI over catless... probably wont work as well without the spicy metals, but wont rob more power (Mangaflow on the left, GESI right)

1598317023252.png
1598317048285.png

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
42 DD is budget crap.

Don't buy anything with a magnaflow cat. You will have cel and rust trouble.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
It would make sense to go full TBE with that which i dont think i want to do, also i would have to get overseas shipping too right? They dont have US dealers?

You can get the DP only from BCS that mates right up to the OEM catback. Yes, overseas shipping, but Nige offers discounts to golfmk7 and vwroc forum members and your price shipped would be right in line with what the AMS one is. I definitely understand the hassle factor would be less going the AMS route. Just wanted to throw out a real solid option. More info over on this thread on vwroc if you want to take a look....
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/24209-bcs-powervalve-launches-new-downpipe-variant/