GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best boost tap?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah this is similar issue with having IAT sensors in hot metal pipes or cast metal intakes etc. At low airflow the radiant heat from the surrounding metal overpowers the convective heat transfer from the air over the actual sensor element. Makes it really bad in this case when the spacer also pulls the element out of the air stream. Never a good idea to mess with a sensor that is critical to fueling in a speed density/MAP based fueling setup.

Last edited:

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
How do you get the piece that shoots into the intake when you smash it with a hot hammer? 🤔😂

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I know it is a little bit off subject, but does anybody know of a good gauge pod that will fit an APR boost gauge? Specifically a pod that sits on the upper defrost vent. I saw CJM industries has one and I have emailed them about fitment. Any other ideas for one?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I know it is a little bit off subject, but does anybody know of a good gauge pod that will fit an APR boost gauge? Specifically a pod that sits on the upper defrost vent. I saw CJM industries has one and I have emailed them about fitment. Any other ideas for one?
For that location CJM is the only one... all others seem to be Facebook copies of his. I have the dual pod from him, I cannot speak to how it fits with APR’s gauge as I’m using aem and innovate but the pod itself has exceptional fitment

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
For that location CJM is the only one... all others seem to be Facebook copies of his. I have the dual pod from him, I cannot speak to how it fits with APR’s gauge as I’m using aem and innovate but the pod itself has exceptional fitment
Yea, I am hoping to hear back from CJM this week so I can order one. I’m pretty sure it will fit, just want to make sure. I saw one from aeroforcetech but it was $99. Even the CJM dual is like $75 I think.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Sorry to bother, but which aem gauge Did you use? I have the x series and was wondering how /where I was going to ground it. I have a couple fuse taps and an add-a-circuiut. So I’m not really worried about the power wire.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Sorry to bother, but which aem gauge Did you use? I have the x series and was wondering how /where I was going to ground it. I have a couple fuse taps and an add-a-circuiut. So I’m not really worried about the power wire.
The boost tap I needed was for my meth controller, but the aem gauge I’m using is the methanol failsafe. The ground I used for the gauges was on a bolt that’s mounting the dash brace to the car. It’s been a solid earth connection so far.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
The boost tap I needed was for my meth controller, but the aem gauge I’m using is the methanol failsafe. The ground I used for the gauges was on a bolt that’s mounting the dash brace to the car. It’s been a solid earth connection so far.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. I’ve done some research and havent seen many install vids with our cars really. Although, I have seen many vids about the P3 gauge and just running straight off obd2.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I just installed the ECS Tuning boost tap manifold. It goes into the unused side port of the intake manifold, yes, you do have to pierce it. They include all the necessary tools, it's not very hard to do at all.

One thing I did notice is that my APR gauge is reading less vacuum with the ECS boost tap vs my old MAP spacer one, which I removed for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Took it off, lubed the O ring with a little dielectric grease, reseated it and the retention clip and it reads the same as the old boost tap.

Last edited: