GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best "affordable" tire for Street Prepared

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
This is actually for our DSP R56 Mini Cooper S, but I figure it's a relevant question to ask here... And I don't really participate much in the Mini forums :cool:

I've been running RE71s, and they are due for replacement. The car recently moved from STX to DSP due to a clutch upgrade, so I'm not limited to 200 TW tires.

Hoosier A7s are way too expensive (double the cost), and likely would have a short life, since this is a 2-driver car.

From doing a little bit of internet research, it appears the RE71s perform about as good as some of the other affordable DOT R offerings, but I'd appreciate any direct experience or recommendations.

Another consideration is heat. I'm in 'Vegas, and summer is approaching. Daytime racing will see air temperatures into the 100s (and super hot asphalt.) We do night racing in the dead of summer, but temps still hover around 100 at night.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
RE71R isn't really going to be a competitive SP tires though. The only real option is going to be A7 if you are looking to be competitive.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
That make sense. I'm not looking for a competitive tire on a National level (at least not at Hoosier prices.) This is just local fun stuff. The only person who bettered me in DSP at our last race was my wife..in the same car (by 0.04 seconds.) :eek:

I'll likely just throw another set of RE71s on and call it good.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If thats the case maybe something like track day tires like NT01 or R888 or something. But I feel like in autoX setting they are probably going to be slower cold than the newest 200TWs.

BFG R1S is another option that some autoX people uses, but they are not that much cheaper than A7s

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
If thats the case maybe something like track day tires like NT01 or R888 or something. But I feel like in autoX setting they are probably going to be slower cold than the newest 200TWs.

BFG R1S is another option that some autoX people uses, but they are not that much cheaper than A7s

That's kind of what I'm trying to figure out. The NT01 or R888 may not work well until warmed up...but then again... It's a 2-driver car, without a lot of time between runs, so they "maybe" would work good after the first lap (factor in that summer heat too.)

FWIW, we also bring our truck to the races to haul the club trailer and the kid's Kart..so it's do-able to change tires at the race (not drive with them on the street.)