GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Besides APR and CTS (in NA), who's offering non-hybrid turbo upgrades?

cinosa

Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I'm wondering who's offering non-hybrid turbo upgrade options besides the 2 above companies. CTS' kit is out of stock anyway, and everything APR sells is simply more expensive than it needs to be, so they aren't a viable option. To put things in perspective, I'm stage 2 with EQT's OTS 91 octane tune and I'm itching for more. I've got my eye on their Vortex XL, but wanted to consider non-hybrid turbo's as well. I like the Borg-Warner EFR turbo that APR's kit offers, and I know Garrett is coming out (or has already) with a new line of turbo's and that's likely why CTS' kit is out of stock, so I'm just weighing my options before spending $5k or so for more power.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
PAG Parts has a Garret GTX based turbo coming out, that should be excellent quality and set the bar for the industry....

BUT, they’re literally thee slowest company when it comes to development and horrible about being transparent on timelines and updates on that so don’t hold your breath. I’m honestly embarrassed for them on that front and feel like they’ve lots tons on potential sales due to that poor communication.

CTS is the wish.com of VAG parts so no way I’d recommend them for anything.

APR is expensive, but I personally know of a guy who’s put like 40k HARD miles on their EFR kit issue free so it’s well earned and worth it if you want a full frame turbski. Only drawback is prehistoric boost control (they don’t use the OEM WG) which might have been acceptable back in 2015, but comes off as lazy now that it’s 2021 and the OEM WG has proven to be superior for tuning this platform.

Last edited:

cinosa

Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
CTS really has that rep in the community? I run their DP, IC, turbo inlet, turbo muffler delete, and when the last performance part is bought and purchased, was going to add their catback to my list of CTS parts. I've had zero issues or complaints about their stuff. I'm Canadian, which is why I shopped with them.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
CTS really has that rep in the community? I run their DP, IC, turbo inlet, turbo muffler delete, and when the last performance part is bought and purchased, was going to add their catback to my list of CTS parts. I've had zero issues or complaints about their stuff. I'm Canadian, which is why I shopped with them.

Its all e-commerce straight from China, so Canadian or not I wouldn’t feel patriotic about it.

CTS has a horrible reputation in the industry, but it’s cheap which = popular these days.

If you wanna support a Canadian company that actually makes things there try DBV2

cinosa

Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Its all e-commerce straight from China, so Canadian or not I wouldn’t feel patriotic about it.

CTS has a horrible reputation in the industry, but it’s cheap which = popular these days.

If you wanna support a Canadian company that actually makes things there try DBV2

Huh, interesting. I mean, they're in Vancouver, so "overnight parts from China" is probably what's happening, and that sort of makes sense. Thanks for the info at least, especially with DBV2, I had seen the name tossed around, just didn't know they were a shop and located in Canada.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Huh, interesting. I mean, they're in Vancouver, so "overnight parts from China" is probably what's happening, and that sort of makes sense. Thanks for the info at least, especially with DBV2, I had seen the name tossed around, just didn't know they were a shop and located in Canada.

Thats why CTS has these big 25% off sales, because there’s about 2000% mark up on stuff purchased in bulk from China. Still plenty of money to be made.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Not sure if Iroz still makes kits for the MQB platform but if you want the best that's where you will find it

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if Iroz still makes kits for the MQB platform but if you want the best that's where you will find it
Unfortunately they don't anymore