GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bent Wheel - How bad is this?

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Hey guys,
Just got new tires yesterday - apparently 3 of my 4 Prets are bent, with the one below being the worst (you can barely feel it at 70 kph).
How bad is this and can I keep driving on it? If I want to get new wheels, will any 19 inch wheel end up bending at the end of the day?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
If your roads are poor, find forged 19's or smaller wheels.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Prets are kind of a soft wheel, this happens to a lot of people.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
FUBAR.....

Drop down to 18 or even 17 inch....those higher rubber sidewalls are the primary "shock absorber"...& sooo many people forget this..

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
FUBAR.....

Drop down to 18 or even 17 inch....those higher rubber sidewalls are the primary "shock absorber"...& sooo many people forget this..
I was sick of bending and cracking wheels, so I tracked down a set of forged 19's. Then I had a blowout at 75mph...which was less dramatic than I imagined, but still a huge inconvenience. Since then, I've stepped down to forged 17's.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I was sick of bending and cracking wheels, so I tracked down a set of forged 19's. Then I had a blowout at 75mph...which was less dramatic than I imagined, but still a huge inconvenience. Since then, I've stepped down to forged 17's.

I just look at my roads & went...nope!!......Went 17inch as its the same 225 factory tyre width as the 18inch rims....& mine are low pressure cast & my multi spokes (summers) are as per the BTCC race spec alloy with the five spokes (winter) are even stronger!.....so better than plain alloys, & not as expensive as forged..

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I just look at my roads & went...nope!!......Went 17inch as its the same 225 factory tyre width as the 18inch rims....& mine are low pressure cast & my multi spokes (summers) are as per the BTCC race spec alloy with the five spokes (winter) are even stronger!.....so better than plain alloys, & not as expensive as forged..
Not the prettiest wheel, but lightweight, durable and can be found for cheap on your side of the pond: https://www.fuchsfelge.com/de/raederuebersicht/detail/audi-q5-leichtbau-schmiederad-58.html

Golf R GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
I'll sell you a set of OZ magnesium R5 Rally wheels 18x8..
EFB4294B-266F-4632-9001-D82EE5283650.jpeg

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
So what happens if I keep driving on the wheel, even if its balanced? I'm going to submit a claim to the City/Province in the meantime to see how much of the cost of a new wheel I can get covered.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'll sell you a set of OZ magnesium R5 Rally wheels 18x8..View attachment 222198...

I'm scared to ask but... how much?

And yeah OP definitely go down to 18s at a minimum. I am on 17s and the ride is far better than my brother's R on 19" Prets. In fact I want to trade him wheels for a bit so he can try out meatier 17" wheels since he doesn't like the ride on his Prets.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
I'm scared to ask but... how much?

And yeah OP definitely go down to 18s at a minimum. I am on 17s and the ride is far better than my brother's R on 19" Prets. In fact I want to trade him wheels for a bit so he can try out meatier 17" wheels since he doesn't like the ride on his Prets.
I would, but I just got new 19" tires a week ago. Any ideas on how to recoup as much money as I can?

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I sold my GTI's stock Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS with a few thousand miles on them on Facebook Marketplace. You might be able to do the same there or on Kijiji. Locally, some of the independent tire shops will give trade-in credit on good condition tires.