GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
What is the risk of using DG springs on a regular Golf? I'm trying to find a way to eliminate the huge wheel gap on the stock setup.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
There is no risk at all....technically the DG springs are designed by VW specifically FOR the Golf
They just happen to fit/work/lower the GTI a little too ;)

Okay I don't mind the stock ride height to be honest but I hate the gap. I just hope they don't make the car feel too low. I test drove a GTI a couple months ago and it was a pretty noticeable difference but I didn't have long enough to tell if it would be in a good or bad way for daily driving.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Okay I don't mind the stock ride height to be honest but I hate the gap. I just hope they don't make the car feel too low. I test drove a GTI a couple months ago and it was a pretty noticeable difference but I didn't have long enough to tell if it would be in a good or bad way for daily driving.

I think you'll be fine.
It's a very conservative drop

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
hello all, I am new, don't know much about cars, just love driving and road trips! I hope to get some guidance on lowering my 2017 S 6MT. I don't want to hear/feel "bang" at every pot holes or steel plates, and have no space in my garage to store stock wheels & tires.
Should I get springs instead of coilovers like the OP suggested? Any recommendation based on your past experiences? Or should I just get new larger wheels and fatter tires? How do I proceed? The amount of information out there is so vast I wouldn't know where to start?
Thanks for reading.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
hello all, I am new, don't know much about cars, just love driving and road trips! I hope to get some guidance on lowering my 2017 S 6MT. I don't want to hear/feel "bang" at every pot holes or steel plates, and have no space in my garage to store stock wheels & tires.
Should I get springs instead of coilovers like the OP suggested? Any recommendation based on your past experiences? Or should I just get new larger wheels and fatter tires? How do I proceed? The amount of information out there is so vast I wouldn't know where to start?
Thanks for reading.

You'll need to start with some soul-searching to figure out what you're after. You can slice this pie about any way you want, the options are vast. That said, I do not think a coil-over is your best choice if I read your description above correctly and assume this is your daily-driver. Cost will be a factor, of course. Springs and dampers was the route I took, basically mimicked hammersticks set-up (koni sports, HR OE sport). With coilovers you are partially paying for the adjustable setup but what I wanted was a set it and forget it suspension. I personally think this thread has about everything you need to get you started and answer most of your questions. Invest some time in here and then ask your pointed questions for the forum to respond to. There is a vast amount of knowledge from forum members and you will get overloaded. Remember you will be getting opinions on everything so take it with some salt. When/if you lower your car, even an 1", you'll want to push the wheels out (for aesthetics mostly but imagine added track width doesn't hurt). You can do this two ways, spacers (flush kit) or wider rims (8.5" is popular). Good luck and enjoy the journey!

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
You'll need to start with some soul-searching to figure out what you're after. You can slice this pie about any way you want, the options are vast. That said, I do not think a coil-over is your best choice if I read your description above correctly and assume this is your daily-driver. Cost will be a factor, of course. Springs and dampers was the route I took, basically mimicked hammersticks set-up (koni sports, HR OE sport). With coilovers you are partially paying for the adjustable setup but what I wanted was a set it and forget it suspension. I personally think this thread has about everything you need to get you started and answer most of your questions. Invest some time in here and then ask your pointed questions for the forum to respond to. There is a vast amount of knowledge from forum members and you will get overloaded. Remember you will be getting opinions on everything so take it with some salt. When/if you lower your car, even an 1", you'll want to push the wheels out (for aesthetics mostly but imagine added track width doesn't hurt). You can do this two ways, spacers (flush kit) or wider rims (8.5" is popular). Good luck and enjoy the journey!

thank you so much, Visceral. this is my daily, fortunately, cost will not be a factor, however, my wife can't know :D
I'd look into springs and dampers in Hammersticks' setup minus the pushed wheels ;)
your advice is greatly appreciated!

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
thank you so much, Visceral. this is my daily, fortunately, cost will not be a factor, however, my wife can't know :D
I'd look into springs and dampers in Hammersticks' setup minus the pushed wheels ;)
your advice is greatly appreciated!

Funny. One of my priorities was to not have the wife know what I'm doing... I've been successful thus far with her only keen observation being the flush kit. Thought the tune would have done it but nope, she just feathers the throttle and so, none the wiser.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
Funny. One of my priorities was to not have the wife know what I'm doing... I've been successful thus far with her only keen observation being the flush kit. Thought the tune would have done it but nope, she just feathers the throttle and so, none the wiser.

you don't say :)
same here, and I have no space in my garage for stock parts.

I hope stock wheels and new tires later are fine with new setup!

hooville

Go Kart Newbie

Haha, my wife noticed the tune immediately and wants to know when I'm planning on tuning the TDI! :D

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
Haha, my wife noticed the tune immediately and wants to know when I'm planning on tuning the TDI! :D

lucky you :D, my wife doesn't want to learn 6MT so it's all me lol
Gosh, I missed the mileage on my 2015 Golf TDI!
Did you get yours straightened out? How do you like it now?

shiit we are getting off track!

Maybe we should start a thread called "invisible mods" :D

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
lucky you :D, my wife doesn't want to learn 6MT so it's all me lol
Gosh, I missed the mileage on my 2015 Golf TDI!
Did you get yours straightened out? How do you like it now?

shiit we are getting off track!

Maybe we should start a thread called "invisible mods" :D

OH, I could write a book...

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'm considering getting the Eibach Pro-Kit off Tire Rack for my '19 GSW 4Motion. I like the subtle drop it provides, but want to make sure that if I load up the car with passengers and cargo that I won't be bottoming out or rubbing?

Also, does everyone replace their suspension bolts when swapping suspension as well? This is the first time I've had a car with torque to yield bolts.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Can't comment on the Eibach Pro-Kit and if it would handle a fully loaded wagon but I know the torque to yield bolts are a one-time use and so, will need to replace as needed...