GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Great write up and info, thanks. I have a quick question, I have a 2 door '16 GTI, manual, are the springs different between the 2 door GTI's and the 4 door GTI's? Just curious. I remember reading something on the MK6 forum, when I had my MK6 that there was a difference. The MK6 also was a different platform than the MQB.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Great write up and info, thanks. I have a quick question, I have a 2 door '16 GTI, manual, are the springs different between the 2 door GTI's and the 4 door GTI's? Just curious. I remember reading something on the MK6 forum, when I had my MK6 that there was a difference. The MK6 also was a different platform than the MQB.

No they are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INeedANewCar

That's a very thoughtful guide, Hammersticks :). I won't repeat your many valuable points, but having done numerous suspension mods myself and watched my friends do them, I think the thing that many people don't realize before learning the hard way is: the engineers working for the automaker aren't dumb, and when you make mods, usually, you'll get some new advantages that you were aiming for, and also get some new unintended disadvantages - it's rare that despite spending a good deal of extra money, your changes will be all upside. By reading your guide, people can go into these things with eyes wide open.

CattleDog

Very informative post! Quick question, is there any difference between mk7 and mk7.5 in terms of shocks? If I go to some websites (ECS for example) it doesn’t list Koni sports or Bilstein for the mk7.5, while other sites (tire rack) shows them as fitting but with the note “for models with 55mm OD front strut”. I don’t suspect they would be different but would love to know for sure before ordering.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Very informative post! Quick question, is there any difference between mk7 and mk7.5 in terms of shocks? If I go to some websites (ECS for example) it doesn’t list Koni sports or Bilstein for the mk7.5, while other sites (tire rack) shows them as fitting but with the note “for models with 55mm OD front strut”. I don’t suspect they would be different but would love to know for sure before ordering.

They're the same

55mm is for GTI's...lower models (Golf, I think) have 50mm's....that's the only difference

DrTWAxeman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
nicksoco831 - ...

My vote would would be the H&R 26/24 combo with stock endlinks but that's only my opinion**. ...

For reference that's the guy with H&R OE Sport / B8s.

Can you elaborate on why you'd use stock end links? Doesn't the spring drop require shorter end links? I'm planning out my Neuspeed Sport / B8 set-up and trying to pick between superpro / neuspeed / whatever adjustable rear end links.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
For reference that's the guy with H&R OE Sport / B8s.

Can you elaborate on why you'd use stock end links? Doesn't the spring drop require shorter end links? I'm planning out my Neuspeed Sport / B8 set-up and trying to pick between superpro / neuspeed / whatever adjustable rear end links.

The sway bar turns within the bushings. The stock size end links work fine even when lowered. IMO, adjustable end links are more trouble that they are worth. And if you want a shorter endlink then absolutely don’t get the SP versions. They are longer than stock.

I just picked up a set of moog end links. $42 shipped.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
The sway bar turns within the bushings. The stock size end links work fine even when lowered. IMO, adjustable end links are more trouble that they are worth. And if you want a shorter endlink then absolutely don’t get the SP versions. They are longer than stock.

I just picked up a set of moog end links. $42 shipped.

HS, quick question for you, I used the same Moog Endlinks for my rear bar. I noticed that the rear end links are angled towards the inside of the chassis which causes the spherical joint to be angled upwards.

Is there any need to "space" the endlink closer to vertical. I could use some basic washers to get them in the ballpark.

I have gotten some minor clunking in the past with the upgraded RSB, but only in cold weather.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
^ This is my first time with these endlinks and I have had them for less than a week so I don’t know TBH. I just looked at mine. One is straight up and down. The other one is slightly angled. I haven’t heard anything thus far.

As long as the bar is secured tightly it seems they should be fine but we’ll see.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
^ This is my first time with these endlinks and I have had them for less than a week so I don’t know TBH. I just looked at mine. One is straight up and down. The other one is slightly angled. I haven’t heard anything thus far.

As long as the bar is secured tightly it seems they should be fine but we’ll see.

Moog endlinks on my gti as well. Seem to work fine for me. Cant say how vertical they are as I had someone put them on after I did my RSB (hell) job.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Can anyone speak to the benefits of swapping out OE endlinks with aftermarket versions? There are about a thousand out there and from what I understand, unless you have a significant geometry change from stock there is no need to swap them out.