GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Great write up and info, thanks. I have a quick question, I have a 2 door '16 GTI, manual, are the springs different between the 2 door GTI's and the 4 door GTI's? Just curious. I remember reading something on the MK6 forum, when I had my MK6 that there was a difference. The MK6 also was a different platform than the MQB.

blaqsheep

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
IS38 GTI PP 6MT
Great write up and info, thanks. I have a quick question, I have a 2 door '16 GTI, manual, are the springs different between the 2 door GTI's and the 4 door GTI's? Just curious. I remember reading something on the MK6 forum, when I had my MK6 that there was a difference. The MK6 also was a different platform than the MQB.

No they are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INeedANewCar

That's a very thoughtful guide, Hammersticks :). I won't repeat your many valuable points, but having done numerous suspension mods myself and watched my friends do them, I think the thing that many people don't realize before learning the hard way is: the engineers working for the automaker aren't dumb, and when you make mods, usually, you'll get some new advantages that you were aiming for, and also get some new unintended disadvantages - it's rare that despite spending a good deal of extra money, your changes will be all upside. By reading your guide, people can go into these things with eyes wide open.

CattleDog

Very informative post! Quick question, is there any difference between mk7 and mk7.5 in terms of shocks? If I go to some websites (ECS for example) it doesn’t list Koni sports or Bilstein for the mk7.5, while other sites (tire rack) shows them as fitting but with the note “for models with 55mm OD front strut”. I don’t suspect they would be different but would love to know for sure before ordering.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Very informative post! Quick question, is there any difference between mk7 and mk7.5 in terms of shocks? If I go to some websites (ECS for example) it doesn’t list Koni sports or Bilstein for the mk7.5, while other sites (tire rack) shows them as fitting but with the note “for models with 55mm OD front strut”. I don’t suspect they would be different but would love to know for sure before ordering.
They're the same

55mm is for GTI's...lower models (Golf, I think) have 50mm's....that's the only difference

DrTWAxeman

Passed Driver's Ed
nicksoco831 - ...

My vote would would be the H&R 26/24 combo with stock endlinks but that's only my opinion**. ...
For reference that's the guy with H&R OE Sport / B8s.

Can you elaborate on why you'd use stock end links? Doesn't the spring drop require shorter end links? I'm planning out my Neuspeed Sport / B8 set-up and trying to pick between superpro / neuspeed / whatever adjustable rear end links.

Hammersticks

Go Kart Champion
Ride
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
For reference that's the guy with H&R OE Sport / B8s.

Can you elaborate on why you'd use stock end links? Doesn't the spring drop require shorter end links? I'm planning out my Neuspeed Sport / B8 set-up and trying to pick between superpro / neuspeed / whatever adjustable rear end links.

The sway bar turns within the bushings. The stock size end links work fine even when lowered. IMO, adjustable end links are more trouble that they are worth. And if you want a shorter endlink then absolutely don’t get the SP versions. They are longer than stock.

I just picked up a set of moog end links. $42 shipped.

arob157

Ready to race!
The sway bar turns within the bushings. The stock size end links work fine even when lowered. IMO, adjustable end links are more trouble that they are worth. And if you want a shorter endlink then absolutely don’t get the SP versions. They are longer than stock.

I just picked up a set of moog end links. $42 shipped.

HS, quick question for you, I used the same Moog Endlinks for my rear bar. I noticed that the rear end links are angled towards the inside of the chassis which causes the spherical joint to be angled upwards.

Is there any need to "space" the endlink closer to vertical. I could use some basic washers to get them in the ballpark.

I have gotten some minor clunking in the past with the upgraded RSB, but only in cold weather.

Hammersticks

Go Kart Champion
Ride
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
^ This is my first time with these endlinks and I have had them for less than a week so I don’t know TBH. I just looked at mine. One is straight up and down. The other one is slightly angled. I haven’t heard anything thus far.

As long as the bar is secured tightly it seems they should be fine but we’ll see.

mk7_bk

Drag Race Newbie
^ This is my first time with these endlinks and I have had them for less than a week so I don’t know TBH. I just looked at mine. One is straight up and down. The other one is slightly angled. I haven’t heard anything thus far.

As long as the bar is secured tightly it seems they should be fine but we’ll see.

Moog endlinks on my gti as well. Seem to work fine for me. Cant say how vertical they are as I had someone put them on after I did my RSB (hell) job.

Visceral

Ready to race!
Can anyone speak to the benefits of swapping out OE endlinks with aftermarket versions? There are about a thousand out there and from what I understand, unless you have a significant geometry change from stock there is no need to swap them out.

arob157

Ready to race!
Can anyone speak to the benefits of swapping out OE endlinks with aftermarket versions? There are about a thousand out there and from what I understand, unless you have a significant geometry change from stock there is no need to swap them out.
The stock endlinks are pretty good. That being said, certain sway bars increase the amount of force transmitted through the endlinks. Take a look at the Eurocode RSB. They allow you to run their first two settings, but not their stiffest setting.

I went with Moog rear Endlinks because they are drop forged with a grease zirk. And the fact that I can replace them for about $20 each if they ever get "clunky".

Elwood

3-7-77
I finally replaced my VWR springs today. I've decided that they are not any stiffer than stock, just lower. This resulted in me having to really slow down for speed bumps and other stuff to keep from scraping my splash guards or even bottoming out (happened a few times). I even installed a spacer in the back to get a little more height (didn't help much).

I installed Vogtland springs. They are quite a bit stiffer. They're matched up with Bilstein B8s. The difference is quite noticeable. I don't have to slow down as much for bumps. I removed the spring spacer from the rears. I don't scrape my splash guards anymore. This is the exact same setup as I had on my 2007 GTI. The stance is perfect and the handling is great. I'll try to get a pic.

Hammersticks

Go Kart Champion
Ride
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I finally replaced my VWR springs today. I've decided that they are not any stiffer than stock, just lower. This resulted in me having to really slow down for speed bumps and other stuff to keep from scraping my splash guards or even bottoming out (happened a few times). I even installed a spacer in the back to get a little more height (didn't help much).

I installed Vogtland springs. They are quite a bit stiffer. They're matched up with Bilstein B8s. The difference is quite noticeable. I don't have to slow down as much for bumps. I removed the spring spacer from the rears. I don't scrape my splash guards anymore. This is the exact same setup as I had on my 2007 GTI. The stance is perfect and the handling is great. I'll try to get a pic.

Nice! Rarely hear people talking about Vogtlands so will be good to hear your take and see the pics.

And yeah, VWRs and EMD springs don’t seem to pair well with the B8’s. Too much compliance/softness and can’t compensate for the drop.

daujin229

Ready to race!
Nice! Rarely hear people talking about Vogtlands so will be good to hear your take and see the pics.

And yeah, VWRs and EMD springs don’t seem to pair well with the B8’s. Too much compliance/softness and can’t compensate for the drop.

Thanks for your thread Hammersticks. Helping me out a lot when I refresh my suspension. Prob going to swap out EMD springs when I swap to b8s or konis

j_rad911

Passed Driver's Ed
If this has been answered before I apologize. After installed coilovers does the camber need to be adjusted? Also is there a way to adjust it without camber plates? I’ve only seen a fixed camber rate plate. I’m looking at purchasing KW variant 2’s or KW street comfort kit.