GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

efaily

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
After a little searching, I still couldn't find a lot of detail, but did find some information to support some of what you're saying about DCC. Definitely more than just a simple valve adjustment in the dampers. I've left mine in Sport the whole 3.5K miles so far, guess I need to experiment a bit more. Sounds pretty impressive for the cost. I wish I could find more details though. I guess drive by wire, electric power steering, etc. make it easier to adapt things electronically.

Mr. Conundrum

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
How about from the source? Racingline says 20 to 25mm. https://www.racingline.com/mqbg-chassis
I saw that on their site too. Most actual owners seem to say they lower more than that though; in the 1.25"/30mm region. If you search around on google, you'll see several owners on this forum state that. They also are softer than stock spring rates according to the chart in the OP of this thread, which isn't something I'm looking for. Glad you're happy with yours, but I think what I'm looking for is something that lowers less and has a stiffer rate.
After a little searching, I still couldn't find a lot of detail, but did find some information to support some of what you're saying about DCC. Definitely more than just a simple valve adjustment in the dampers. I've left mine in Sport the whole 3.5K miles so far, guess I need to experiment a bit more. Sounds pretty impressive for the cost. I wish I could find more details though. I guess drive by wire, electric power steering, etc. make it easier to adapt things electronically.
DCC is quite sophisticated. I did a little looking as well, and found this video with a general overview of how it works (this is a cupra, but same system). And if you really want to get into it, I found this which is very detailed manual. Looks like I was off and there's only one accelerometer and height position sensor for the rear, which could mean the two rear dampers are controlled together and not independently.

At any rate, I think recalibrating DCC, along with an alignment are things that should probably be done after installing lowering springs. I'll be able to testify once I've done it myself.

Last edited:

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Has anybody noticed a change in braking performance, such as brake dive, after going with an aftermarket spring and damper combo? Strictly speaking, in daily driving conditions.

Type2Bill

Car(s)
2016 Golf SE
Thank you Hammersticks for this incredibly well done thread. I have a 2016 Golf SE, that the suspension is a bit mushy, and squeaky. I like the ground clearance I have as I take it off pavement on occasion. I am seeking advice on updating the shocks, and struts. Bilsteins? if so, which? B8s seem to be GTI specific. Konis? From everything I have read, if I wanted to go lower I would go with the H&R OE springs, and the Bilstein B8s. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Yes, this is my daily driver, and our roads around here are not very great these days, lots of potholes, I am currently running the stock 17" wheels, and tires. oh , and it is the A/T version.

AlMondi22

Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf SE TSI
Hey guys, before I start a redundant thread and after reading this whole thread let me ask here first.
I was looking forward to get DG springs for my 2018 Golf SE TSI but they show to be compatible for MK7 golfs up to 2017. Why is that? Even MK7 GTIS use them when they show not to be compatible, is it the same case for me? Can I use them?

Thanks for your help

tarheelbob

Car(s)
2021 VW GTI S
@Hammersticks , please forgive typos, as my eyes are blurry after reading all this great info. And your build thread. And your installation thread. Well, you get the point.

Through all the great information, I still could not quite find the insight I'm looking for in my first street suspension build up for my 2021 GTI S 6-MT. I am looking to sharpen the existing suspension/handling, improve the performance manners of the shocks (better damping, rebound, compression), and create a "fast road" combination. I live in the land of the Tail of the Dragon, and want a better backroad weapon, while still using this car as my daily. There are no plans to track the car (for now). This first round will include:

wheels: Apex 17"x8.5" ET43
tires: 235/45 R17 Continental ExtremeContact Sport
034 Motorsport solid RSB

Here are the shock/spring combinations I am pondering. I want to avoid the harsh spring/harsh shock, or soft spring/soft shock mismatch. I wouldn't mind a small lowering (ex. 0.5" - 0.75" range), but this confuses my shock choices for me:
  • Bilstein B6 with OEM springs - I'd probably be happy with this combination, based on all I've read and learned
  • KONI Special Active - good match with OEM springs? Others? I have seen very little on spring pairings with the SA. I am very interested in this shock.
  • What about either of these shock choices paired with the H&R OE Sport or the APR Roll Control? Would this neccessitate going to the B8?
At this time, the KONI Yellow Sport are not what I'm after. So, as one can see, I am looking to preserve some decent road manners and ride, but will put up with a stiffer (but not harsh), better controlled suspension package to sharpen the handling and make the car more tossable through fast road / mountain driving. I do not want any of the aforementioned "front end violence".

Interested in any feedback.

- Bob