GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Can anyone speak to the benefits of swapping out OE endlinks with aftermarket versions? There are about a thousand out there and from what I understand, unless you have a significant geometry change from stock there is no need to swap them out.
The stock endlinks are pretty good. That being said, certain sway bars increase the amount of force transmitted through the endlinks. Take a look at the Eurocode RSB. They allow you to run their first two settings, but not their stiffest setting.

I went with Moog rear Endlinks because they are drop forged with a grease zirk. And the fact that I can replace them for about $20 each if they ever get "clunky".

Elwood

3-7-77
I finally replaced my VWR springs today. I've decided that they are not any stiffer than stock, just lower. This resulted in me having to really slow down for speed bumps and other stuff to keep from scraping my splash guards or even bottoming out (happened a few times). I even installed a spacer in the back to get a little more height (didn't help much).

I installed Vogtland springs. They are quite a bit stiffer. They're matched up with Bilstein B8s. The difference is quite noticeable. I don't have to slow down as much for bumps. I removed the spring spacer from the rears. I don't scrape my splash guards anymore. This is the exact same setup as I had on my 2007 GTI. The stance is perfect and the handling is great. I'll try to get a pic.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I finally replaced my VWR springs today. I've decided that they are not any stiffer than stock, just lower. This resulted in me having to really slow down for speed bumps and other stuff to keep from scraping my splash guards or even bottoming out (happened a few times). I even installed a spacer in the back to get a little more height (didn't help much).

I installed Vogtland springs. They are quite a bit stiffer. They're matched up with Bilstein B8s. The difference is quite noticeable. I don't have to slow down as much for bumps. I removed the spring spacer from the rears. I don't scrape my splash guards anymore. This is the exact same setup as I had on my 2007 GTI. The stance is perfect and the handling is great. I'll try to get a pic.

Nice! Rarely hear people talking about Vogtlands so will be good to hear your take and see the pics.

And yeah, VWRs and EMD springs don’t seem to pair well with the B8’s. Too much compliance/softness and can’t compensate for the drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Nice! Rarely hear people talking about Vogtlands so will be good to hear your take and see the pics.

And yeah, VWRs and EMD springs don’t seem to pair well with the B8’s. Too much compliance/softness and can’t compensate for the drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your thread Hammersticks. Helping me out a lot when I refresh my suspension. Prob going to swap out EMD springs when I swap to b8s or konis

j_rad91!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
If this has been answered before I apologize. After installed coilovers does the camber need to be adjusted? Also is there a way to adjust it without camber plates? I’ve only seen a fixed camber rate plate. I’m looking at purchasing KW variant 2’s or KW street comfort kit.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If this has been answered before I apologize. After installed coilovers does the camber need to be adjusted? Also is there a way to adjust it without camber plates? I’ve only seen a fixed camber rate plate. I’m looking at purchasing KW variant 2’s or KW street comfort kit.
if you are lowering the car, you will increase negative camber.

The front cannot be adjusted without additional parts. The rear can be adjusted.

Your toe will change with a change in ride height, so a toe alignment will be advisable.

In addition to camber plates, front camber can be adjusted by a small amount with an offset bushing (powerflex), or a different front control arm (superpro, whiteline, audi tts). The audi TTS arm gives the biggest change, in excess of -1.5 at minimum settings

come to think of it...

The Clubsport S spindle also adds negative camber.

New whiteline ball joints may add a small amount.

Some claim that small amounts of neg camber can be added with by taking advantage of tolerances when bolting everything back up. I haven't been able to make it happen.

j_rad91!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
if you are lowering the car, you will increase negative camber.

The front cannot be adjusted without additional parts. The rear can be adjusted.

Your toe will change with a change in ride height, so a toe alignment will be advisable.

In addition to camber plates, front camber can be adjusted by a small amount with an offset bushing (powerflex), or a different front control arm (superpro, whiteline, audi tts). The audi TTS arm gives the biggest change, in excess of -1.5 at minimum settings

come to think of it...

The Clubsport S spindle also adds negative camber.

New whiteline ball joints may add a small amount.

Some claim that small amounts of neg camber can be added with by taking advantage of tolerances when bolting everything back up. I haven't been able to make it happen.

Yes I have looked into camber plates but haven’t found adjustable ones. Just ones that have a fixed camber of 1.4 or something. But I don’t know if that will be enough. So would I need to buy those, bushings, and arms? Maybe I’ll just leave the height alone even though I want to lower it. My MK6 GTI was lowered on just H&R super sports and stock struts/shocks and was bouncy. So I figured do coilovers and have a smoother ride and enjoy sprited driving more.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

There's a little bit of play/tolerance at the strut mount bolt holes. But you can only shift it without the suspension loaded (i.e. no tension on the strut)

athos56

Ready to race!
Thanks for the guide!

Just pulled the trigger and got a Bilstein B12 kit, some SP fixed Camber mounts and rear end links and 034 rear shock mounts. I also got a bunch of tools, I still need to get a grinder to fit the Camber plates, and of course I need a 2x4... It's going to be a busy day.

looking at installing new springs on my 2015 TDI (50'000kms). I just upgraded to 18" rims so the wheel gap is a little more noticeable. Someone locally is selling a brand new set they never used for 200CAD. Im very interested, but not sure what peoples thoughts are on the product (E10-15-021-02-22).

Also do i need to upgrade struts? Some people have told me I need to, some people said i dont need to, i am clueless. I'm trying to keep the total cost below 500Cad (including install from someone).

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Does Eibach still use some sort of logic when applying part numbers to their kits?

P/N E10-79-101-02-22 is recommended for my '17 GSW 4Motion, meanwhile the R Wagon and Alltrack share the same part number, which is E10-85-041-08-22. After looking at stock images, which I realize isn't the most reliable method, it appears the springs recommended for my vehicle are progressive, and for the R and AT are linear. If this assumption is true, then I have to decide which would be best for the Koni sports I have already purchased.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does Eibach still use some sort of logic when applying part numbers to their kits?

P/N E10-79-101-02-22 is recommended for my '17 GSW 4Motion, meanwhile the R Wagon and Alltrack share the same part number, which is E10-85-041-08-22. After looking at stock images, which I realize isn't the most reliable method, it appears the springs recommended for my vehicle are progressive, and for the R and AT are linear. If this assumption is true, then I have to decide which would be best for the Koni sports I have already purchased.
Did you ever rectify this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Did you ever rectify this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have not. The only other difference is strut diameter, but for springs, that shouldn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk