GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BEC headlights beam height adjustment broken?

jalgs

I have the mk7 - 2018 Golf R style headlights and something happened to the bulb height adjustment. I was turning the knob and the pattern was moving down. Maybe 1 full turn in and suddenly it dropped. There was no resistance or any indication of it being over torqued. The passenger side turned and adjusted just fine.

The bulb now points about 15 feet in front of the car and the adjustment screw/knob does nothing.
I checked the bulb and it is still in the housing.

Is there something I can do to fix this? This happen to anyone else?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I have the mk7 - 2018 Golf R style headlights and something happened to the bulb height adjustment. I was turning the knob and the pattern was moving down. Maybe 1 full turn in and suddenly it dropped. There was no resistance or any indication of it being over torqued. The passenger side turned and adjusted just fine.

The bulb now points about 15 feet in front of the car and the adjustment screw/knob does nothing.

I checked the bulb and it is still in the housing.

Is there something I can do to fix this? This happen to anyone else?
That sucks... Been there. You have to literally break open the headlight housing to get to the gears and re-hook the rod that connects to the gear you turned. You may be able to use needlenose pliers through the back, but doubt it.

Either way, it sucks

jalgs

That sucks... Been there. You have to literally break open the headlight housing to get to the gears and re-hook the rod that connects to the gear you turned. You may be able to use needlenose pliers through the back, but doubt it.

Either way, it sucks

Damn, I was afraid of that. These headlights just keep giving me problems...

First the H7 bulb didn't fit properly. Finally got correct HIDs and now this happens. Should have just went for the LP :(

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Try getting at it from the back.....if there is a "door" you can open (I haven't honestly explored that on my headlights yet). It's worth a shot even to get it back on track and at some normal semblance of height.

jalgs

I was able to fix the problem. Emailed BEC and they got back to me super fast with a solution.

I'll post the pictures here if anyone else runs into this problem.

Basically, the vertical adjuster has a metal ball seat that fits into a plastic channel in the headlight housing. I was able to pop mine back in after putting a little grease on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 354

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Soooo lucky! Good to hear

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Thank you for posting in case this ever happens to mine down the road[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Moonwalker

Car(s)
2016 Golf Sportwagen
I believe the exact same thing happened to me. I’m a bit confused with the 3rd image. Do I push the metal ball back into the grooved channel shown in the middle of the 3rd pic?