GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beat my first V8 today.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Also, a Camaro SS 1LE is not a Chevy SS.
Aside from tires and the eLSD, what would the advantages be?
  • Satin Black hood wrap
  • Black front splitter
  • Black outside rearview mirrors
  • Black rear blade spoiler
  • Satin Graphite 20" forged-aluminum wheels with Goodyear® Eagle® F1 SuperCar 3 285/30R20 front and 305/30R20 rear, summer-only tires1
  • Brembo® 6-piston monobloc front 2-piece rotors and 4-piston rear calipers, 4-wheel antilock disc brakes
  • Red calipers with 1LE logo
  • Performance-tuned suspension with unique bushings, springs and stabilizer bars
  • Dual-mode exhaust
  • Magnetic Ride Control
  • Electronic Limited-Slip Differential (eLSD)
  • RECARO® performance front bucket seats
  • Suede-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel and shift knob
  • Head-Up Display on 1SS (standard on 2SS)
  • Also includes 2.85 rear axle ratio when ordered with the available automatic transmission
  • Requires Jet Black interior

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I can definitely pick some things in that list that when done right would quickly drop tenths and gain mph :).
I don't disagree, but worst case, an SS without 1LE would still be trapping over 110 mph, which is far from the land of a Stage 1 GTI.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I don't disagree, but worst case, an SS without 1LE would still be trapping over 110 mph, which is far from the land of a Stage 1 GTI.
Depends on some factors, but stage 1 gti with good tires can touch 110. Stage 2 gti can get into the teens, that I've seen.

Power to weight really has to be taken into account. A 3200lb wet gti with a 160lb driver and making 320 crank HP and Tq would mean the 4200lb wet camaro with a 160lb driver would have to make 415HP and TQ to be just as fast. If the camaro driver was a bit chubby (most guys I know that drive camaros are pushing 250) then it would be 424HP.

Throw in changes with gearing, how turbos make torque, tires, and plenty of driver skill (or luck) and you'd end up with a fairly close race.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Aside from tires and the eLSD, what would the advantages be?
  • Satin Black hood wrap
  • Black front splitter
  • Black outside rearview mirrors
  • Black rear blade spoiler
  • Satin Graphite 20" forged-aluminum wheels with Goodyear® Eagle® F1 SuperCar 3 285/30R20 front and 305/30R20 rear, summer-only tires1
  • Brembo® 6-piston monobloc front 2-piece rotors and 4-piston rear calipers, 4-wheel antilock disc brakes
  • Red calipers with 1LE logo
  • Performance-tuned suspension with unique bushings, springs and stabilizer bars
  • Dual-mode exhaust
  • Magnetic Ride Control
  • Electronic Limited-Slip Differential (eLSD)
  • RECARO® performance front bucket seats
  • Suede-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel and shift knob
  • Head-Up Display on 1SS (standard on 2SS)
  • Also includes 2.85 rear axle ratio when ordered with the available automatic transmission
  • Requires Jet Black interior

I think the point Diggs was making is that a Chevy SS is a 4 door sedan. A Camaro SS is a 2 door coupe.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
If we look at typical quarter mile trap speeds reported for a 2016 SS, they are around 115 mph. So in order to beat one from a roll, a GTI would typically need to be trapping at a higher mph than 115 mph. Would the OPs GTI be trapping around there with his mods? I don't know. Otherwise, as the OP indicated, the SS started in 4th gear, while the GTI was in 3rd. Being in the wrong gear has made many a "faster" car lose to a "slower" car on the street.

I agree. I'm not sure which gear he started off in. I also 100% know for a fact he would have had me in the top end with his gearing.