GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beat my first V8 today.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I don’t know the history of the GTI or turbo models. How does a K04 compare to an IS20 or IS38?
I ran a gpopshop K04 on my B5.5 Passat.....it was okayish

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I was tuned with APR's horrible K04 file. Per their website using 93 octane (that's what I was flashed for),
93 AKI / 98 RON360 HP382 FT-LBS

Probably 330 whp...
Those aren't whp numbers. Either way, the K04 is larger than an is20 on paper, but lots of is20 mk7 cars are faster than K04 MK6 cars.
I'm surprised he beat an SS on a 91 tune. Doesn't add up. I wonder if the Camaro is a car that hat needs a tune if you do bolt ons. Maybe they hurt it a little bit. Runs too rich

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Those aren't whp numbers. Either way, the K04 is larger than an is20 on paper, but lots of is20 mk7 cars are faster than K04 MK6 cars.
I'm surprised he beat an SS on a 91 tune. Doesn't add up. I wonder if the Camaro is a car that hat needs a tune if you do bolt ons. Maybe they hurt it a little bit. Runs too rich
It had to be a 6 cylinder Camaro. No way he could beat a 8 cylinder Camaro with his current setup.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Apples to oranges but other than my dumbass missing shifts, an SS 1LE did not pull on me. Of course when I missed both the 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shifts. Yes...It is possible to be that bad. He got ahead. Would love to have another go at 1.

And I imagine a state 2 gti is not far power wise from an is38 1.8

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The camaro ss weighs around 3900lbs curb, and American manufacturers often underrate curb weight because they don't measure with a full fuel tank... Add 350 lbs to that for fuel and a larger driver and then he's around 4200-4300. My autobahn gti with a full tank and no spare weighs 3166. Throw in the hatch stuff and it's probably 3250. That tune put you around 310hp and 350 tq. The numbers come out fairly close and with how punchy the is 20 can be with torque, I can see you pulling barely ahead in a straight line if you're on a better tire and he was really a 280lb driver while you're not...

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
The camaro ss weighs around 3900lbs curb, and American manufacturers often underrate curb weight because they don't measure with a full fuel tank... Add 350 lbs to that for fuel and a larger driver and then he's around 4200-4300. My autobahn gti with a full tank and no spare weighs 3166. Throw in the hatch stuff and it's probably 3250. That tune put you around 310hp and 350 tq. The numbers come out fairly close and with how punchy the is 20 can be with torque, I can see you pulling barely ahead in a straight line if you're on a better tire and he was really a 280lb driver while you're not...
Last time I went to the strip a tire/catback one was trapping 92mph in the 1/8. Forever ago with a JB4 and DP I ran a 12.8@109 and my 1/8 was only like 87mph.

Last edited:

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
Or a 2.0 turbo. Both the V6 and turbo have an available track pack that adds Brembos and 245/275 staggered tires making it a ringer for the SS.

I've driven a 2.0T. Granted it was a convertible and automatic, but it was incredibly boring.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
The SS is like 450hp... How did you pull that on a Stg1 91oct tune that sits at around 310hp? I know they're heavier but you can have a lighter weight spec that sits around 3300lbs... That's a lot more HP moving it than extra weight. Nice pull though. Would have liked to see the video!

Honestly, I'm not even sure if my car is a stage one. I had dyno'd my car about 7 or 8 months ago on a mustang dyno (from IROZ). I was making 295 roughly to the wheel (HP) and somewhere around 310 ~ 320 tq to the wheel (iirc). I don't have the numbers on me because they were on my old phone.

Also, I didn't have the access port beforehand. Nor, do I know if the car originally had a tune on it or not. The DP and the CAI came with the car, along with a few other goodies.

Since then, I have bought a new exhaust, tune, and the access port. I was surprised how much the tune seemed to wake up the car. I plan on going to the dyno again this year to see where my power is at right now.

(I also think it helps that I weigh close to nothing lol.)

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Oh and for reference, my sister's boyfriend has a 2017 camaro SS. The 450ish hp one so I know how hard they pull. I'm still stock so I'm not sure how fast stg1 truly feels in this car but I had a K04 Mk6 which put me around 350-360ish hp and 400ish torque. That was really fast but even questionable if I could have taken him down. This makes me think Stg1 mk7 is faster or at least equal to a K04 Mk6 gti? That's pretty damn impressive from just a tune and no extra hardware.
I don’t know the history of the GTI or turbo models. How does a K04 compare to an IS20 or IS38?

Here's a good run with my friend. He's on a k04 (shuenk turbo.) He has the entire mod list in the description as well.

The only thing he didn't add in the description was that he stripped out the seats in the interior. The second run was the only good run I got in with him. The tires were cold the first run. 2nd run was much better. I was running 91, and I think he was on e-30 that night. I could be wrong. He had told me we got up to 140+ at one point which I wasn't aware of. :whistle:

Last edited:

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
If we look at typical quarter mile trap speeds reported for a 2016 SS, they are around 115 mph. So in order to beat one from a roll, a GTI would typically need to be trapping at a higher mph than 115 mph. Would the OPs GTI be trapping around there with his mods? I don't know. Otherwise, as the OP indicated, the SS started in 4th gear, while the GTI was in 3rd. Being in the wrong gear has made many a "faster" car lose to a "slower" car on the street.