GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bear Mountain Runs (Ongoing)

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Hopat here, hope to join up on the regular.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Yikes!

Saw a minor forest fire near one of the campgrounds off of 7 lakes road. It was flaming up pretty good at 6 am. People were already on scene and as I was coming back down from Kanawauke I saw a train of engines heading to the scene about 40 minutes later.

Pretty sure they'll get it under control but it was wild to see the flames like that.

Otherwise, Kanawauke has some pot holes at the top where you enter from the traffic circle and an even worse one where you enter at the bottom from 17 A. The one from 17A is a teeth rattler, it's on the left most side of the right lane right after you come over the over pass.

Sun-up til 7am Kanawauke is a blast. After that people start to filter into the area, by 7:30 you're gonna run into slow movers(like, people going 25mph) and people on the road side near the parking areas.

Be safe, bros!
1650142789290.png

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
There seem to be some NNJ runs taking place on occasion.

I drive 65 miles into NJ everyday for work and dont really like having to drive down to cruise. I do however do often cruises solo around Minnewaska and the resiviors (Ashokan & Roundout) as the roads are usually always empty and the scenery is gorgeous. Ive also been doing a lot of exploring into the catskill region.

Bear MTN hasnt been that great lately. The traffic is horrible and too many pedestrians. Coupled with the fact that arden valley is shut down to through traffic makes it almost not worth the effort. Doubt they will ever finish the bridge repair. Its almost like theyre just using it as an excuse to never open it up again.

If you go early, like before 8am, you can usually sneek your way onto arden valley but thats when its cold and roads are usually still semi-wet.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Definitely gotta go early, once the Sun is up you have maybe an hour until people start rolling in.

If you go at 9am it's already packed. Having fun is going to actually be dangerous for hikers and bike riders and they are everywhere.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Definitely gotta go early, once the Sun is up you have maybe an hour until people start rolling in.

If you go at 9am it's already packed. Having fun is going to actually be dangerous for hikers and bike riders and they are everywhere.

This is why we changed the meet times to 7am. If you wait longer you will get traffic and can't enjoy the roads with spirited drives.

PRRUFFRIDER

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
There seem to be some NNJ runs taking place on occasion.

I drive 65 miles into NJ everyday for work and dont really like having to drive down to cruise. I do however do often cruises solo around Minnewaska and the resiviors (Ashokan & Roundout) as the roads are usually always empty and the scenery is gorgeous. Ive also been doing a lot of exploring into the catskill region.

Bear MTN hasnt been that great lately. The traffic is horrible and too many pedestrians. Coupled with the fact that arden valley is shut down to through traffic makes it almost not worth the effort. Doubt they will ever finish the bridge repair. Its almost like theyre just using it as an excuse to never open it up again.

If you go early, like before 8am, you can usually sneek your way onto arden valley but thats when its cold and roads are usually still semi-wet.
Can you please clarify (Ashokan & Roundout) I tried mapping that location and didn’t come up with anything.
I’ve been driving up to Cracker Barrel in Fishkill for breakfast on the occasional weekend (early) and the roads are somewhat clear to open her up on some straight a ways and turns just before getting there from NYC. But that’s about it for me. Trying to gather some road knowledge to actually make a good morning out of it.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Can you please clarify (Ashokan & Roundout) I tried mapping that location and didn’t come up with anything.

Ashokan reservoir and roundout reservoir. Both have some pretty good driving roads around them with great scenery.

Ill be doing much more scouting this summer and will most likely put together a fall cruise through the catskills.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Hawk's Nest is a pretty cool drive, but does bog down when the traffic picks up from the rafting, kayaking venues. Anybody going to the Bear Mountain Wednesday Night Car Cruise?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Careful out there guys. Remember, hikers and cyclists have right of way. If you hit one, you're in for a sure hurting from the authorities. Keep it safe for all of us!