Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Come to Europarts Fall Foliage. You can hang out with me:D

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I’m 55, dad of 2 grown sons (Sportwagen and GTI drivers) love my car and this community. That’s my demographic. So, I went to Europarts fall run last year (first group run ever) in this same part of the world, had a GREAT time. But honestly I was shocked and more than a little freaked out by how fast we were rolling thru little towns in a long line on a Sunday morning. I felt pressure to keep up so I didn’t get off the route and so I didn’t bum out the 25 cars behind me.
So this year at Euro Parts I’m going LAST:D You guys can get after it all you want, just be careful out there! I hope to employ this same strategy on one of these Bear Mt runs. See you at the Euro Parts Run if not Bear Mt.
Rick

For sure come out and meet some other MK7 owners. Nothing wrong with staying at the back of the group as there are plenty that come out that feel the same as way like me. That's where I prefer to drive as I don't like to drive too fast on those roads.

Unfortunately on the last run, no one with knowledge of the route wanted to lead so I was tasked to do so.

I am glad I read through this thread. This was informative and sadly proved the local scene for the GTI/R is just not a community social fit for me in real life.

Here I am 49 years old, have owned lower cost performance cars my entire driving life (Mustang GTs, Volvo C30s, WRX etc) and the last time I did a road meet/run was back with my last Mustang GT over 12 years ago.

There was no spirited driving or potential risk..There was lunch, dinner, and a lot of group talk about mods/etc. And a nice legal ride.

I'm getting tool old to even think of this stuff sadly... My car is also my daily driver.. I just got my 2019 Golf R, love the car. I miss the old mustang community.. but.. to own one around here you need a daily driver...

Maybe I am just old lol.. have fun guys! Be safe.

With any cruise like this there are potential risks unfortunately. It's a public meet on public roads and I try my best to give out safety tips. The age in drivers range from 20's to 60's and I actually pointed out in the last run that if you don't want to feel pressure to 'keep up' then stay at the end of the group. I also cautioned people about pressuring other drivers in front of them.

I would hope that you would come out and experience the drive for yourself so you can form your own opinion.

This GTG is basically trying to mirror some of the Wookies in the Woods event that goes down in North Carolina and centers around the tale of the dragon. That is hands down my favorite even of any and I've gone for the past 3 years with plans to go in 2020.

I was hoping with these runs to bring some of that magic from WITW to us locally.

More info about it below:

https://www.wookiesinthewoods.com/

Great video by the Humble Mechanic on this event as well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlOELjTmJPY

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
October Run

Next run looks to be 10/20 based on the recent vote. Just an FYI. See the first post for info about the route.

Meet spot is 6:45am sharp at Kanawauke Picnic area the the first run will be at 7am.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Next run looks to be 10/22 based on the recent vote. Just an FYI. See the first post for info about the route.

Meet spot is 6:45am sharp at Kanawauke Picnic area the the first run will be at 7am.
That's a Tuesday?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I'm going to have to bump my alignment date up to the 19th. :D

Also wash your car :D

I should have (if I can make it, I'm still tenative) my new gimbal by then. Hoping to get some nice video of the roll out.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
On a side note getting to Kanawauke Picnic Area at sunrise gives you an opportunity to take some nice photos with a nice backdrop. I took a few at the meetup spot before we rolled out.

Here is one of them.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Well the videos shared from Humble Mechanic were cool, that is the type of event I remember from my Mustang GT days. I might try to see if my wife will let me go or join me. I will likely be so far back though.

I have always really been interested in the GTI and R, however back when I was young I was also interested in Mustangs, Camaros, and Volvos. Having only enough time and money for one car at a time it took almost 3 decades for me to finally buy a VW Golf R. I am amazed at the affordable modification options.

GFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Just want to throw out a feeler here... but I bought H&R sport springs and decided to go another route. They are brand new in box and I only opened the box to see. If anyone would like to purchase I could give you a deal and save some money instead of ordering them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Appears to be raining all morning on Sunday. Unsure if I want to hit some curvy roads on summer tires while it’s chilly/wet out.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Where are you looking? Accuweather forecast for Harriman and West Haverstraw doesn't show definite morning rain?

Appears to be raining all morning on Sunday. Unsure if I want to hit some curvy roads on summer tires while it’s chilly/wet out.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I haven’t checked but was told the rain wasn’t until the afternoon. It will be a little cool but the group is all go for now.