GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bear Mountain Runs (Ongoing)

GFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I can understand and respect the sentiment and reasoning brought forth by idriveastick. His points hold weight, but the approach of coming into the thread and calling everyone out in a negative manner will never create a positive reaction.

We were safe, we had fun, and we will be going again. If you disagree and choose not to participate that is a personal choice. Good luck trying to convince a bunch of enthusiasts to not drive enthusiastically on an early morning mountain run. We have a great community and everyone I met on Sunday was mature enough to make the right decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idriveastick

Ready to race!
You are entitled to your opinion that's for sure. That's really all I have to say and I don't want to clutter this thread with something we don't agree with.

No disagreement there. I certainly didn't come to clutter the thread. I am 110% behind meeting up and driving around. However, I can't condone the driving you guys do as "safe." That is a gross misrepresentation, of which I have seen first-hand. Silencing people you disagree with is kind of a shady move, but whatever floats your boat. I am simply trying to paint the real picture here, instead of the fantasy land unicorns and rainbows one you paint. Nothing personal.

One guy said you don't hit 60mph. My dashcam, with GPS speed, says otherwise... and I was still lagging behind you guys. All I am saying is there is a time and place to drive like you're on the track. And of course, that's on the track. Doing so with pedestrians, cyclists (fuck them, but still), etc. on these roads is unsafe. Period.

How you disagree with that, I have no clue. Maybe you're an ex-racecar driver and have tons of skill. However, I know for a fact that some, or most, of the folks are not. That was very evident the one time I went. Add more cars into the mix and one day, something bad will happen.

Was my approach wrong? Perhaps. However, I think it got my point across. Just don't advertise this as safe. It's not. Everyone knows it's drive at your own risk, but for those that don't know those roads or the area, keeping up can be their only option unless they want to get lost. That can put pressure on them to drive outside of their, or their car's, limits.

Having a "safety briefing" before the drive does not mean it's simply all good in the hood. Bad things happen all the time. I would hate for it to be any of you guys, who are just out to enjoy a nice Sunday morning.

Last edited:

idriveastick

Ready to race!
I can understand and respect the sentiment and reasoning brought forth by idriveastick. His points hold weight, but the approach of coming into the thread and calling everyone out in a negative manner will never create a positive reaction.

We were safe, we had fun, and we will be going again. If you disagree and choose not to participate that is a personal choice. Good luck trying to convince a bunch of enthusiasts to not drive enthusiastically on an early morning mountain run. We have a great community and everyone I met on Sunday was mature enough to make the right decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you weren't there the one time I was, when one guy went off the road and almost lost it completely on a relatively "easy" turn? That's all it takes.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
No disagreement there. I certainly didn't come to clutter the thread. I am 110% behind meeting up and driving around. However, I can't condone the driving you guys do as "safe." That is a gross misrepresentation, of which I have seen first-hand. Silencing people you disagree with is kind of a shady move, but whatever floats your boat. I am simply trying to paint the real picture here, instead of the fantasy land unicorns and rainbows one you paint. Nothing personal.

One guy said you don't hit 60mph. My dashcam, with GPS speed, says otherwise... and I was still lagging behind you guys. All I am saying is there is a time and place to drive like you're on the track. And of course, that's on the track. Doing so with pedestrians, cyclists (fuck them, but still), etc. on these roads is unsafe. Period.

How you disagree with that, I have no clue. Maybe you're an ex-racecar driver and have tons of skill. However, I know for a fact that some, or most, of the folks are not. That was very evident the one time I went. Add more cars into the mix and one day, something bad will happen.

Was my approach wrong? Perhaps. However, I think it got my point across. Just don't advertise this as safe. It's not. Everyone knows it's drive at your own risk, but for those that don't know those roads or the area, keeping up can be their only option unless they want to get lost. That can put pressure on them to drive outside of their, or their car's, limits.

Having a "safety briefing" before the drive does not mean it's simply all good in the hood. Bad things happen all the time. I would hate for it to be any of you guys, who are just out to enjoy a nice Sunday morning.

I'm not silencing anyone. I don't have any authority here for that and I wouldn't either.

I don't agree with your approach in this thread to call people out, label them and the name calling. It's just not necessary.

Navi

Autocross Champion

Jokes on you, we are all race car drivers. I'm glad you don't come to the meets cause you sound like a whole bunch of fun :rolleyes:. Can you please let all the other canyon/mountain car groups such as s2ki.net, m3post.com, angels crest, mulholland drive, blue ridge parkway etc etc, know how you feel. They would love to hear your input as well.

Just so you know, there are carcinogens in the air as well. I recommend walking around with an O2 tank.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
In my other life, I ride these roads on my road bike. I would be one of these people we pass. I haven't seen anyone acting dangerously in the events I went to. Nobody tries to intimidate the cyclist or scare them. Everyone shares the road.

Sounds like someone messed up one time. This is not the norm based on the 3 events I've attended.

I want to stress that anyone who attends should drive within their limits and their car's limits. If in doubt, join the Alltrack in the back. :)

idriveastick

Ready to race!
I'm not silencing anyone. I don't have any authority here for that and I wouldn't either.

I don't agree with your approach in this thread to call people out, label them and the name calling. It's just not necessary.

So everyone's mature here, yet you're getting bent out of shape because I said you guys are doing shit that teenagers do? Alright. Fair enough.

And, I already acknowledged that my approach maybe wasn't the best, but the more important thing is that my point is clear. I didn't call anyone out. I simply stated that you guys are misrepresenting what this is. It's not safe for neither the pedestrians and other folks on the road, nor you and your cars. Just because no one has messed up severely yet, doesn't mean it won't happen. I have witnessed it happen a few different times. One time was where a guy's motorcycle was totaled, another was an E36 M3, and another was a Lambo.

So hey, get all pissy because you don't want to accept reality. That's fine. Defend your "safe" drives. That's fine.

None of that changes reality. Not sure why you are taking things so personally. Or is it because you know I'm right, and you've thought about it (clearly you have thought about it--you have "safety briefings" and radios), but you have no choice but to be defensive because you'll never admit you're wrong on the internet? You made this personal by taking things personal.

You are basically telling me that if my opinion doesn't align with yours, then you don't want to hear it. That's effectively trying to silence me by implying my points aren't valid. Again, I acknowledged that my approach may have been shitty, but the point still remains. If you would rather just take it down the personal road, and get bent out of shape that some random guy on the internet said you drive like a teenager, so be it. You can choose to ignore my valid points all you want. Again, doesn't change reality.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Jokes on you, we are all race car drivers. I'm glad you don't come to the meets cause you sound like a whole bunch of fun :rolleyes:. Can you please let all the other canyon/mountain car groups such as s2ki.net, m3post.com, angels crest, mulholland drive, blue ridge parkway etc etc, know how you feel. They would love to hear your input as well.

Just so you know, there are carcinogens in the air as well. I recommend walking around with an O2 tank.

Yeah, go search youtube and you'll see hundreds or thousands of videos of those same groups wiping out, totaling cars, spinning out, etc. Don't act like it doesn't happen. Oh, and yet again, you don't want to hear my opinion so instead you mock me. You won't be mocking me when someone's totaled in a ditch on your next meet. Especially true since it's early morning, most have summer tires on, and the pavement is getting much cooler. Just wait. You'll see reality soon enough.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Werd. Holler back. You're missing the whole point with your narrow minded perspective. It's unfortunate but oh well. If someone ends up in the ditch then that's the way it is. No, I would probably still be mocking you if that happens. We don't walk out the door in the morning expecting impunity from life by playing it safe.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Werd. Holler back. You're missing the whole point with your narrow minded perspective. It's unfortunate but oh well. If someone ends up in the ditch then that's the way it is. No, I would probably still be mocking you if that happens. We don't walk out the door in the morning expecting impunity from life by playing it safe.

But mitigating things by playing it safe works better than not.

Memonstatus

Miamibourne did a great job organizing and at no point did I feel unsafe, the radio was great for the one time I went.

IdriveAstick, instead of arguing on the thread, you
made your point, organize a track day or invite everyone on the thread to one. As someone who enjoys motor sports, and participates in autoX events, I would love a track day.

Let’s not try to convince each other of what we perceive as safe. The internet dictates that no one will ever be convinced of someone else’s opinions.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Miamibourne did a great job organizing and at no point did I feel unsafe, the radio was great for the one time I went.

IdriveAstick, instead of arguing on the thread, you
made your point, organize a track day or invite everyone on the thread to one. As someone who enjoys motor sports, and participates in autoX events, I would love a track day.

Let’s not try to convince each other of what we perceive as safe. The internet dictates that no one will ever be convinced of someone else’s opinions.

Valid point. I guess my acknowledgement of my shitty approach wasn't direct enough (after re-reading what I wrote); I apologize if anyone was offended. The thought and passion of my opinion comes from a good place, truly. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Valid point. I guess my acknowledgement of my shitty approach wasn't direct enough (after re-reading what I wrote); I apologize if anyone was offended. The thought and passion of my opinion comes from a good place, truly. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Props to you. Very standup post.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I’m 55, dad of 2 grown sons (Sportwagen and GTI drivers) love my car and this community. That’s my demographic. So, I went to Europarts fall run last year (first group run ever) in this same part of the world, had a GREAT time. But honestly I was shocked and more than a little freaked out by how fast we were rolling thru little towns in a long line on a Sunday morning. I felt pressure to keep up so I didn’t get off the route and so I didn’t bum out the 25 cars behind me.
So this year at Euro Parts I’m going LAST:D You guys can get after it all you want, just be careful out there! I hope to employ this same strategy on one of these Bear Mt runs. See you at the Euro Parts Run if not Bear Mt.
Rick

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I went once. I was saying, this "teenager" (meaning, teenagers rip around public roads) shit is dumb for a bunch of 30/40-somethings driving $40k cars. A meetup is one thing, even a drive or two, but you guys push your cars. Go tear up a track, where it's really safe and you can push harder. Those roads, while fun, are still dangerous because they aren't meant for the type of driving you guys are doing. To each their own, but it seems penny-wise, pound-foolish to not organize a track day if you're going to be driving like you're on the track.

You can claim you are safe all you want, but you're not. Clearly, we have a different definition of "safe." Just because no one has crashed or hit someone/something doesn't mean it's safe. Public roads aren't meant for the driving you're doing, especially with all of those blind turns where brush and trees make it so you can only see 20 feet in front of you, while ripping around a corner.

Not to mention, it'll hurt the wallet when you get tickets. I've been there, done that, and it sucked (same scenario: meet up with 10-20 cars, go driving up through Rhinebeck and New Paltz, eight of us got pulled over by four troopers all to the tune of over $2000 a piece worth of fines and court fees, plus lawyers). Maybe I'm just more gun-shy but you shouldn't lie to yourself. What you guys are doing, safety briefing or not, is not safe for you, your cars, pedestrians, and other folks on the road. I'm all for spirited driving, but the runs I went on that one time showed how careless some of you guys are. Not to mention, it's clear people don't have driving experience. Remember that one guy who went off the road and barely saved it? All it takes is to get sucked off the road and slam into a tree at 60mph on a 25mph road. I remember numerous times where we'd all come flying around a turn and there would be someone walking on the side of the road, causing us all to slam our brakes on. That's safe?

I am glad I read through this thread. This was informative and sadly proved the local scene for the GTI/R is just not a community social fit for me in real life.

Here I am 49 years old, have owned lower cost performance cars my entire driving life (Mustang GTs, Volvo C30s, WRX etc) and the last time I did a road meet/run was back with my last Mustang GT over 12 years ago.

There was no spirited driving or potential risk..There was lunch, dinner, and a lot of group talk about mods/etc. And a nice legal ride.

I'm getting tool old to even think of this stuff sadly... My car is also my daily driver.. I just got my 2019 Golf R, love the car. I miss the old mustang community.. but.. to own one around here you need a daily driver...

Maybe I am just old lol.. have fun guys! Be safe.