GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bear Mountain Runs (Ongoing)

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Hey all, I’m a new member and a new owner of a 2019 Rabbit. Sadly missed out on the 9th but might be able to do the 30th. From what I gather it’ll be 7am, is that right? I’m coming from lower Westchester and was wondering if anyone else was too. I’ve honked at a few GTIs in my area recently. Hoping to meet some other like minded people nearby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in Westchester are ya? I'm in Mount Kisco.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Hey all, I’m a new member and a new owner of a 2019 Rabbit. Sadly missed out on the 9th but might be able to do the 30th. From what I gather it’ll be 7am, is that right? I’m coming from lower Westchester and was wondering if anyone else was too. I’ve honked at a few GTIs in my area recently. Hoping to meet some other like minded people nearby!

Yes, 7am and I have to update the route and meet point with new details. 7am is so we don't catch traffic. Should be more fun and then you have the rest of the day to do family stuff...or join another gathering.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yes, 7am and I have to update the route and meet point with new details. 7am is so we don't catch traffic. Should be more fun and then you have the rest of the day to do family stuff...or join another gathering.
Earlier maybe less chance of getting in to trouble if we happen to go a little faster than allowed. I got a faaaat ticket a few months ago so I can't get another one. :/

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Earlier maybe less chance of getting in to trouble if we happen to go a little faster than allowed. I got a faaaat ticket a few months ago so I can't get another one. :/

That too. There was a cop hanging next to Tiorati Beach waiting for people coming from the South direction just over the hill. Luckily a few of us had radar detectors so we picked him up.

That being said, Seven Lakes is a road that you just want to enjoy for scenic views. The other roads have no shoulder so...you can play a bit more within reason.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Updates to Route and Time

UPDATE: 06/21/19:
FYI: FOR FUTURE RUNS

Because of traffic at Bear Mountain the majority of us have voted to start the runs at 7am sharp. I will ask for people to get to the starting point by 6:45am so we can roll out at 7am. Also, we have made it so we are only making 2 stops. Rolling straight to Bear Mountain (Perkins Memorial Tower) from the new meeting spot of Lake Welch Beach and from Bear Mountain we will head to Storm King Highway ending at Donahue Memorial Park.

I will update this thread with pics of the route shortly. I will also update the original post.

Meetup Spot at 6:45am (rollout 7am sharp):

Lake Welch Beach
800 Kanawauke Rd,
Stony Point, NY 10980

Here is the first route:

Lake Welch to Perkins Memorial Tower (Bear Mountain Top):

https://goo.gl/maps/c1qFcvRJfyqz9ktv8

Here is the second route:

Perkins Memorial Tower (Bear Mountain Top) through Storm King Hwy:

https://goo.gl/maps/5Y8nmNeYp8nfmjWL6

This route will probably make for a smaller group but the smiles per mile should increase for sure.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Update for 06/30/19 Run

Updated the list of who's going so far. I'm guessing the early time has ruled some people out but...should make for a nice traffic free run for the most part!

List of Who's Going:

1. MiamiBourne (Vwvortex/GolfMK7)
  2. Brian (WhatsApp)
  3. davewg (Vwvortex/GolfMk7)
  4. Lucas (WhatsApp)
  5. Albert (WhatsApp
  6. emiladam (Vwvortex) 'Maybe'
  7. John (WhatsApp) 'Maybe'

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Updated the list of who's going so far. I'm guessing the early time has ruled some people out but...should make for a nice traffic free run for the most part!

List of Who's Going:

2. Brian (WhatsApp)
  4. Lucas (WhatsApp)
  5. emiladam (Vwvortex) 'Maybe'
  6. John (WhatsApp) 'Maybe'
Put me in for a maybe, but most likely. Hoping I don't feel totally destroyed Sunday after helping my friend move on Saturday.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Updates and Tips for 06/30/19 Run

Just a few things to point out for our next run.

1. Cell Phone service is spotty so download maps offline with Google Maps.
  2. 2 way radios are great for communicating with a group on these types of runs. As mentioned, cell phone service is spotty and the only way to quickly talk to everyone is with a 2 way radio.
  3. We are meeting at a new spot. I'm not sure how it will be in the am for parking or if they close a gate to the entrance...just an FYI really.
  4. The route from Perkins Memorial (top of Bear Mountain) is new so...well bare with me if there are any issues with the roads. It should be a good route though.
  5. Rollout out is 7am sharp. We will have time to chit chat at the end of the run as we try to take advantage of the early time.
  6. Don't overdrive your car. I believe someone in the last run lost some traction and the tire squealing could be heard. We are on public roads and while we can have some fun, don't forget to drive safely as well.

Seems like we should have about 7 or 8 at least but in previous meets more have come out. It may be different for a 7am start though. I do have printouts of both routes just in case.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
When are the brooklyn peeps rolling out? I'm in the astoria area so you'll likely need to pass me.

Does the google maps route thing work with Android Auto/Carplay?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
When are the brooklyn peeps rolling out? I'm in the astoria area so you'll likely need to pass me.

Does the google maps route thing work with Android Auto/Carplay?

I'm coming from Brooklyn. BQE to FDR North, GWB and then Palisades. It's so early though...not sure I want to stop. Lol.

FYI there is a Pride Parade in NYC. Take that into consideration when you are driving back. I'll be driving back through Jersey to go through State Island.

If you start the route on your phone then it should work on Carplay. You can test this out by just adding multiple routes on your phone and starting the directions and then plugging in your phone to the USB. It might work with the phone plugged in but from entering the destinations on the phone only. Not the Carplay screen.

At least that's how I remember it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'll be doing Triboro to Harlem River to GWB to Palisades. Nah don't stop, hoping to loosely coordinate so maybe we can see each other on the road on the way up. I'll test the routing thing later. I'd rather have it display on my center screen and use my phone for engine information. ;)

I'll have a radio on.

I'm coming from Brooklyn. BQE to FDR North, GWB and then Palisades. It's so early though...not sure I want to stop. Lol.

FYI there is a Pride Parade in NYC. Take that into consideration when you are driving back. I'll be driving back through Jersey to go through State Island.

If you start the route on your phone then it should work on Carplay. You can test this out by just adding multiple routes on your phone and starting the directions and then plugging in your phone to the USB. It might work with the phone plugged in but from entering the destinations on the phone only. Not the Carplay screen.

At least that's how I remember it.

VdubbinCT

Ready to race!
The world's largest Subaru Enthusiast event is coming to CT this weekend. It comes around every summer in June. I think it would be funny to see a hundred VW GTI's or something roll up in the neighborhoods of the track and toy with the WRX gearheads :)

sticky_bandit

List of Who's Going:

2. Brian (WhatsApp)
  4. Lucas (WhatsApp)
  5. Albert (WhatsApp
  6. emiladam (Vwvortex) 'Maybe'
  7. John (WhatsApp) 'Maybe'

Count me in, coming from Yonkers if that helps anyone. I’ll pick up a two way radio tomorrow as well. Might have to dip out after the first run.