Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was up around this area at 8:30 am roads were still wet so you couldn't really heat it up.

I always come up from rt 17 or seven lakes and at 8:30 there are already hikers, bikers, and just random stupid people doing weird stuff on the side of the road.

If you just want to roll around near the speed limit and don't care if you get stuck behind the slow movers than any time of the day is cool. If you want to heat it up a bit, especially as a train of 4 or 5, you need to go early. If it's past 9 am there are just TONS of people here so not only is it not fun to get stuck behind them it's also dangerous because of all the people on the road.

I saw a group of people this morning that parked on the side of the road and didn't think anything of walking 3 abreast right up the road. If you came around a turn to find these people in the road someone is gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
8 or 9 is definitely too late any time of the year. With the tree cover and temps, I didn't think there was any chance of the roads being dry until at least 12. Last thing you need is to be in the middle of a turn, hit a wet patch and hit an on coming car.

Guys.. I don't want to be that guy but..

I'm a car guy, I'm a cyclist, I'm a hiker, I'm a fisherman... (I also do all this up there) All these types of people have a right to use those roads, please be careful. The best thing to do is go super early and get your shit done and leave. Less cars, less people, less cops, less chance of accidents which means the rest of us continue to have fun without being hassled.

Some of us hit it early and then picnic when all the other fools are dodging people on the roads and getting stuck behind slow cars.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I usually go up at 6 am, but it was too cold and still dark. After this weekend the clocks roll back so that becomes available again for a few weeks.

At 6 there's almost no one there, except for the animals. Deer are really active right now tho, so you definitely need to watch out for them.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I usually go up at 6 am, but it was too cold and still dark. After this weekend the clocks roll back so that becomes available again for a few weeks.

At 6 there's almost no one there, except for the animals. Deer are really active right now tho, so you definitely need to watch out for them.

A few months ago we did a run in the wet. I had an OH SHIT moment when I came over the blind right turn crest. My front wheels unloaded cuz of the crest and lost a bit of traction. A car was coming in the on-coming lane. I had to tap the brakes and turn in the wet with the front wheels unloaded (BAAAAD). I really think I would have wrecked and hurt someone if the 4 motion didn't help me. I don't think I'll ever do the runs in the wet anymore.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
A few months ago we did a run in the wet. I had an OH SHIT moment when I came over the blind right turn crest. My front wheels unloaded cuz of the crest and lost a bit of traction. A car was coming in the on-coming lane. I had to tap the brakes and turn in the wet with the front wheels unloaded (BAAAAD). I really think I would have wrecked and hurt someone if the 4 motion didn't help me. I don't think I'll ever do the runs in the wet anymore.
Definitely.

Especially now, with the leaves in the mix too. It isn't worth trying to fight mother nature. If she doesn't want you to drive fast one weekend, just listen.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Yeah, I can definitely relate to all of these concerns. The roads were pretty wet in the morning. It's really not about getting to crazy but just enjoying the twisties at reasonable speeds. It's also about getting out an enjoying what little foliage we have left.

I'm also a hiker. Some of the harriman state roads are too sketchy with all the folks on foot, even at the posted speed limits.

I'm going to start exploring Catskill region roads, especially up near Bug Indian Wilderness

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was up through Kanawauke and 7 lakes this morning at sunrise, I was the only car on the road until I was coming back down at like 7:30 am.

It was cold but the roads were dry. Still some pretty amazing colors out there especially combined with the sunrise.

From 6:30-7:30am you can get some pretty good runs in. It was 31° where I live but 28° up in the park so these roads are a little more likely to be icy before/at sun-up this time of year.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I was up through Kanawauke and 7 lakes this morning at sunrise, I was the only car on the road until I was coming back down at like 7:30 am.

It was cold but the roads were dry. Still some pretty amazing colors out there especially combined with the sunrise.

From 6:30-7:30am you can get some pretty good runs in. It was 31° where I live but 28° up in the park so these roads are a little more likely to be icy before/at sun-up this time of year.
Are you on summers, or all-seasons?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Kanawauke really is a blast with no traffic and before the people come to use the park.

Have a few more weeks of pretty good fall weather hopefully. It really shouldn't be this cold in the mornings yet.