GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery replacement

Chrisjoplin

Check you local dub forum or meet up, somebody will help you,

if you're near DFW I'll help you...

Thanks for the offer. I don't need to change my battery yet but would like to have a plan in place when the time comes.

I have a local independent shop that specializes in VW/Audi/Porsche that I could always go to. Problem there would be getting out without also doing a tune, down pipe and wheels. :D A simple battery coding might end up costing me over $2,000. Maybe a $200 cable is not such a bad deal after all.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the offer. I don't need to change my battery yet but would like to have a plan in place when the time comes.

I have a local independent shop that specializes in VW/Audi/Porsche that I could always go to. Problem there would be getting out without also doing a tune, down pipe and wheels. :D A simple battery coding might end up costing me over $2,000. Maybe a $200 cable is not such a bad deal after all.

It can be done via OBD as well. It's all the same just s different interface. I'm sure don explain the steps

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
It can be done via OBD as well. It's all the same just s different interface. I'm sure don explain the steps

Toni- thanks for the invitation to reply

Telling the CAN Gateway that a new battery is installed is easy - it doesn't even need a security code! Follow the instructions in my screen shots below.

Don

TIP: don't be too concerned about your entries for Manufacturer and Serial Number!
For Manufacturer, just use any 3 x letters - it's not important
For serial number: use the number from the new battery if possible (it must be a 10 x digit number), or simply change one of the digits in the old setting - the module just needs to recognise that the serial number is different, it's not important what the number actually is!

Last edited:

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Being that you are in the US, I'm going to guess that you don't have to code the new battery. Take a look at the negative (I think) cable on your car, if it's just a regular cable, you don't need coding. If you see an electronic box on the cable (at the terminal) then you need to code it.
I'm 99% sure this is correct, so if I'm wrong, then can someone who is 100% sure, please correct me.
I just replaced my battery and replaced it just like any other car and everything is fine. Also, if I'm correct, the cars that need programming, also have the start/stop function.

Last edited:

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Being that you are in the US, I'm going to guess that you don't have to code the new battery. Take a look at the negative (I think) cable on your car, if it's just a regular cable, you don't need coding. If you see an electronic box on the cable (at the terminal) then you need to code it.
I'm 99% sure this is correct, so if I'm wrong, then can someone who is 100% sure, please correct me.
I just replaced my battery and replaced it just like any other car and everything is fine. Also, if I'm correct, the cars that need programming, also have the start/stop function.

I believe this is correct as well for USA as we don't have the SOC monitor on our batteries like ROW

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

Adaption is necessary if you want to do the maintenance as recommended by VW. This applies to both NAR and ROW. Changing the serial number is all that is necessary as that lets battery control module know you have a new battery and manage charge cycle accordingly. Don (DV52) provided the how to a few post above.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 3,162

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Adaption is necessary if you want to do the maintenance as recommended by VW. This applies to both NAR and ROW. Changing the serial number is all that is necessary as that lets battery control module know you have a new battery and manage charge cycle accordingly. Don (DV52) provided the how to a few post above.

George: hi, I don't know for sure if it's needed on cars without a battery monitor - J367 (it's the thing in my screen-shot below - ignore the yellow stuff which is an anti-frosting spray that we use down here because of our temperate climate), but I have quite a few adaptation maps for the Gateway module on NAR vehicles and the Battery Adaptation bank is fully coded in each. This suggests (to me at least), that you are correct!

Don

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My car does not have the module, but I went ahead and did the adaptation for the new battery anyway. I figured that I had the OBD eleven anyway, so why not? At best, it's done properly if it was actually required. At worst, I wasted 2 minutes of me time for nothing.
However, I'm still thinking that it's not necessary unless the car has that module. I think the factory just programs all of the NA cars the same because my serial number was 1111111111. I just adjusted the new MAH for the new battery to the correct amount and made the serial number 1111111112. Better to be safe i guess

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Dredging up this ancient thread. My battery decided to go tits-up abruptly today, at 2 years old, almost to the day. No VW dealer for 75 miles, but I was walking distance to a Sears Auto Center, so I bought a DieHard Advanced Gold AGM battery, in the larger Group 48 size, that is bigger than stock but still fits our battery tray just fine. What doesn't fit is the silly insulator "box" (I use the term loosely) over the larger battery. Anyone think this will be an issue? AGM batteries are great at tolerating cold, but NOT better than flooded batteries at tolerating heat, and do better when installed away from the engine compartment. Now mine is not only in the engine compartment but without the scant insulation that VW provides for the stock battery. And I live in a very hot climate in SE Arizona. Should I be concerned about heat, or just rock on?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dredging up this ancient thread. My battery decided to go tits-up abruptly today, at 2 years old, almost to the day. No VW dealer for 75 miles, but I was walking distance to a Sears Auto Center, so I bought a DieHard Advanced Gold AGM battery, in the larger Group 48 size, that is bigger than stock but still fits our battery tray just fine. What doesn't fit is the silly insulator "box" (I use the term loosely) over the larger battery. Anyone think this will be an issue? AGM batteries are great at tolerating cold, but NOT better than flooded batteries at tolerating heat, and do better when installed away from the engine compartment. Now mine is not only in the engine compartment but without the scant insulation that VW provides for the stock battery. And I live in a very hot climate in SE Arizona. Should I be concerned about heat, or just rock on?

I listed the bigger battery cover in my how to guide as I was the first to do the big battery swap over 3yrs ago....

I have the bigger cover & have applied heat reflective foil to the two side of the battery which face the engine to stop heat soak....& list this on my how to guide on heat shielding the EA211 engine...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Find a diesel model and measure the battery. If it's the same size, write down the VIN and order the corresponding insulation from parts.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I would replace with larger cover as that’s what I did. I paid $28 for larger battery cover from e-acca. 5Q0915411H is part number from Golfdave’s DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cb1111