GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Recommendation?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Hey guys... It's that time of year again where my battery has decided it doesn't want to battery anymore 🙃. So now I'm here looking for some good battery recommendations! I have heard that Optima Red Tops are good but I don't know what works best with the car (besides factory).

Thanks again for the help and Insights!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Tesla...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Costco Interstate AGM.

DR182018

Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn
Just installed a Duralst Platinum AGM , from autozone today. My 7.5 35,980 miles. I’ve not used start stop much and tried to get the OEM battery to last as long as possible. Car started to throw low voltage codes , rough idle and misfiring. Swapped the battery in the parking lot , used OBD11 to code it. So far so good. 239.00$ have it on a battery tender now , to reach full charge. Model H6-AGM 70 ah.

Attachments

• C2809475-D6CF-4A7A-B94F-9E08F9AF0545.jpeg
    C2809475-D6CF-4A7A-B94F-9E08F9AF0545.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 83

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2018 GTI S on the original battery (4.5 years old). Battery voltage has recently dipped to 12.6 volts when the car isn't running.

While home in IL, car is garage-kept, but next week, I'm driving to MN for 4 days, where the car will sit outside in sub-zero temps at night.

1. Is 12.6 volts enough to endure the cold for a few days, or would changing the battery before the trip be warranted?
2. No start/stop on the S model, so if the battery is replaced, no coding is required, correct?

TIA

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
2017 GTI Sport, minimal electronics, OEM lasted 6 years, replaced with a Everstart H5 from Walmart, coded with OBD11, $170, 3 yr warranty,
works fine, normally on CTEK battery charger when car is not is use, only 25000 miles

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I have a 2018 GTI S on the original battery (4.5 years old). Battery voltage has recently dipped to 12.6 volts when the car isn't running.

While home in IL, car is garage-kept, but next week, I'm driving to MN for 4 days, where the car will sit outside in sub-zero temps at night.

1. Is 12.6 volts enough to endure the cold for a few days, or would changing the battery before the trip be warranted?
2. No start/stop on the S model, so if the battery is replaced, no coding is required, correct?

TIA
You still need to code the battery...

DR182018

Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn

TIA
I believe all mk7 must be coded , so the charging system knows how and when to supply voltage. New battery is 13.2 volts. The one I replaced was 11.7 volts , engine off. No drain

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm still on my Bosch AGM in the 096/H6 case size that I installed in Jan 2015...Car gets used once a week & battery gets occasionally hooked up to the Ctek conditioner/charger I have.

I wrote a guide with all info in the first post:-

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...bigger-capacity-battery-to-a-mk7-golf.320084/
bosch aren't really available in the US.

Costco Interstate AGM.
this is the best solution for 99% of people with access to a costco or another interstate dealer.