GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery ReCo

CDLehner

Passed Driver's Ed
So...my battery is on its last legs. I thought it happened, because I was on vacation...got drunk; charged my phone, with ignition in accessory...and forgot about it for about 8 hours, lol šŸ„“

Now...I'm sure that didn't help, and my problems started shortly after; but also...in doing my YouTube research...I see I've evidently been damn lucky, to have not had any issues with it for 5 years now. Regardless...it's time for a new one.

Given that...I don't feel like, I need an "upgrade" as far as cold-crank starting power, etc. I might just go "straight" OEM. I'll probably have my mechanic do it...only because I'm also due for an oil change, and I need to finally get my Summer rubber/wheels off. Point being...I know some diagnostic reset needs to be done.

What/where, would the cheapest OEM be? I mean...I see between, like ~$70 - ~$92, to like ~$130. Don't know what I'm doing...so I don't understand, why the big variance. Also...while I'm not looking to increase size, or crank (as mentioned); if anyone wants to reco a direct replacement...but of a certain "better" brand. I'd be plenty open to that.

Thanks,

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Be careful with dealer sourced batteries, they sell 2 different levels of OEM. One is a premium offering and will be way more than the prices you mentioned. It is also probably a superior AGM (absorbed glass mat) style one and will last between 3-5 years. The other is the cheaper one that will last about 2 years and is probably a simple lead/acid variety. Just replaced one in the GLI. Went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a Die Hard Platinum AGM H6 for $170.