GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery not charging /Generator fault

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
Hey Everyone,

I’m in a bit of a bind and was wondering if anyone could help. Putting it in General for max visibility, hope that’s ok.

Started the car this morning and got 20mins out when a big warning came on the dash that the battery isn’t being charged and to stop the car. So I did that and pulled off to the side of the road.

Attached are images of the dash and fault codes. Anyone know what this could be or how to fix it? I’ll definitely try and take it to the dealer as soon as possible.

It’s a 2017 Golf with 25k miles, I think on its stock battery. Other maybe relevant info is I have after market headlights plugged into the battery.

My most pressing question is how bad is it to drive on this? Can I drive it back home (10mins)? Can I drive it 20 minutes to the dealer? Hoping to avoid a to

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 6BF172D4-198A-4BFE-ACEB-283F5F8A640B.jpeg
    6BF172D4-198A-4BFE-ACEB-283F5F8A640B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 444
  • 6731BC0B-140C-4F51-9BE7-6B815CC83C3A.png
    6731BC0B-140C-4F51-9BE7-6B815CC83C3A.png
    672 KB · Views: 442

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it will make it that far it's okay. Will it even start now?

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
Ha yeah it starts for now. I can make it home with the hazards on but didn’t want to cause any damage. The dealer is also the other direction so wasn’t sure if I should just do that while I can.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
If it was me, I would check the voltage across the battery when the car is running. If it like 14V then the alternator is good, and the battery is likely bad (not accepting a charge). If it stays at 12V or below then it is likely the alternator. If it measures 14V when running and then less then 12V when off, just replace the battery. If it is the alternator, I would charge the battery with a charger fully before I drove to repair shop and when I drove turn heater and all accessories off.

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
Hey All!

Thanks for the help and replies. Ended up having it towed to the dealership (forgot I have AAA so it was free).
The dealer ran diagnostics and determined the battery and alternator were totally fine. I guess after that, they inspected some more and realized the alternator belt was off or disconnected. They put it back and all seems to be good now.

Not sure how that would come off, but I do park on the street and I guess it could've been critters? Either way, just happy I don't have to shell out for a new alternator or something. Thanks again!

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
This happened to me, it was a rat (not mouse) in the engine bay overnight. When I left for work in the morning, it must have got scared and tried to flee but got caught by the belt and got pulled in. Rat exploded and snapped the belt, which landed on top of the plastic cover. The techs did not enjoy cleaning the engine bay, as I was told by the SA. I'm still finding bits of dried flesh and fur a year later.