GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery - 2018 R

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yep, you made me look, it's the last one listed, 680 cca, not 780, H5 Group 47.
(y)
Lifts bonnet/hood up, looks & mutters to self "aww feck!"".... :cool:

Yes my car is a DSG, with auto start/stop. I turn the darn thing off every time I start the car though.

The OEM battery in the car is a "SE BANG" brand model 6R0 915 105 B.

EFB type. Markings:

12v 69Ah 360A DIN
680A EN/SAE/GS

It doesn't have a group size anywhere that I could see, and I haven't measured it...

That's the original VAG battery..VAG use weird Ah capacities inside industry normal sized cases..

MQB cars fitted with stop/start get:-
For cars WITH "Start/Stop” eco engine shut off (BlueMotion II):-
59Ah/320A (DIN), H5 size, EFB type
69Ah/360A (DIN), H6 size, EFB type
68Ah/380A (DIN), H6 size, AGM type

So yours is the biggest H6 case size in an EFB type construction.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Great post, thanks for the link.

The other oddity I noticed is that 2018 has no batteries matched (in fact most VWs don't) for Interstate. Previous and next MYs do.... was there something special about the 2018 cars battery wise, or is this just a gap in Interstate's database?
Shouldnt be a gap. Plus Vws oem batteries are made by interstate

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
So the battery on my 2018 R is pretty dead after ~15K miles and <4 years. Been on it's last leg for a year now, the pandemic seems to have killed it off. I do have a CTEK which I've been resurrecting it with, that's getting a bit old. Going anywhere is an adventure, the suspense of "will it start". I have to assume this car has exceptionally high idle drain - never had battery fail this soon before. There is an odd node in the handbook as well about leaving the car unlocked will drain the battery (!).

Question - is it really necessary to tell the car the battery is changed if it's the same type/chemistry of battery? I would guess that's the only meaningful thing the charge system actually needs to know. It's certainly the only thing that plug in chargers/conditioners care about - they don't need to know capacity, serial, age, or anything else to recondition/charge batteries.

Seems ridiculous to shell out 200 for vcds or almost that much for one year of pro odb11 (crippled iOS version) that I'm going to use once, just to change the battery....

Thanks.
If you need to know what battery your car takes lmk your vin and I will look it up in Etka for you on monday at work (i work at a vw dealer) all the batteries that come in these cars new now have been superceded. Usually they are a 000 915 105 DE or a DG thats the part # for the batteries in Mk7/7.5 Gtis/Rs