GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bass causing door rattles (non-Fender audio)

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I have an S. I wish I had the Fender, but I'm fine with the bass in this car. It seems like its "good enough".
But most songs make awful rattles in my drivers door. Sometimes the rattles are so bad on certain songs they're unplayable.

Other songs have heavy bass lines with no rattles (must be a resonance frequency thing).

Has anyone cracked open their door panels and had any luck eliminating these rattles for good?
Most of the rattles seem to be coming from the window controls cluster but I can also hear some from the liner further towards the back of the car where the door meets the B pillar.
I'm hoping I can just crack open the door. Mesa tape everything, and bump happily forever.

Please send help :confused:

AJ15

Ready to race!
Subscribed....

I'm also curious if having a subwoofer removes this issue as the lows that rattle the door bits get sent to the sub instead?

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I've taken my driver side door panel out and installed sound deadeners. That help a bit. But like you said, most of my rattle was on the window switches. I took that out while I had the panel removed and wrapped it in Tesa tape. It's now super snug in the hole and it no longer rattles.

There's a guide in the forum somewhere about removing the panel. Feel free to PM if you need more info. I'd be glad to help.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I had a pretty bad rattle in my driver side rear door . I took off the door trim to find this

Last edited:

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Subscribed....

I'm also curious if having a subwoofer removes this issue as the lows that rattle the door bits get sent to the sub instead?

I just sold my subs that were in my old vehicle. From what I've seen, installing after market subs in the mk7 is waaaay too much work.

And the hatch space is small enough as is...!

I've taken my driver side door panel out and installed sound deadeners. That help a bit. But like you said, most of my rattle was on the window switches. I took that out while I had the panel removed and wrapped it in Tesa tape. It's now super snug in the hole and it no longer rattles.

There's a guide in the forum somewhere about removing the panel. Feel free to PM if you need more info. I'd be glad to help.

Thanks! I'll move forward on this over the weekend :D

I had a pretty bad rattle in my driver side rear door . I took off the door trim to find this

Yikes. I'll keep an eye out for any exploded speakers while I'm in there.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I have this issue on the passenger door... very frequency dependent... a lot of times it’s spoken word (like a podcast or talk radio) that makes it rattle the most... it is indeed crazy annoying

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Subscribed....

I hoped this would happen, but it didn’t when I upgraded my base S model stereo with the Helix. Still just as many door rattled as before (perhaps worse than before, hard to say. Def more power to the mids and the lows so more to move things...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I have this issue on the passenger door... very frequency dependent... a lot of times it’s spoken word (like a podcast or talk radio) that makes it rattle the most... it is indeed crazy annoying
I have the same issue but i do have the fender audio. Certain frequencies make my car go nuts with rattles but I can't pinpoint where they are

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I hoped this would happen, but it didn’t when I upgraded my base S model stereo with the Helix. Still just as many door rattled as before (perhaps worse than before, hard to say. Def more power to the mids and the lows so more to move things...)

Sorry to hear that!! I considered Helix but it looks like alot of work and the stock base is actually pretty decent.

I'm a little "bassed out" too since I had dual 12s in my last car.

Just wanna fix these rattles. I'll get in there this weekend and report back here.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear that!! I considered Helix but it looks like alot of work and the stock base is actually pretty decent.

Just wanna fix these rattles. I'll get in there this weekend and report back here.

buy it and i'll install it for you at the next meet up... it is a very straightforward install and it is a fantastic upgrade over stock IMO

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear yours is still going strong :D:D

SixSniper

Thank you!! Do you know if any guides exist for sound deadening? Otherwise I will just wing it! :rolleyes:
Just wing it!!! When you have the door cards out, speakers out just cover as much of the metal areas between the inner metal pieces. You can also clip out the plastic cover towards the outside of the door to give you access from that side. I used Dr Artex Gold and it made a huge difference. You can also cover the whole outer area between the door card if you like but that becomes expensive. Instead you can put some pieces of sound deadening on the open exposed parts of the body which will help a lot.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

InfamousDrip

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm in the same boat, I had an orion HCCA 15' with a custom box tuned to 27 HZ on a 5000 watt HCCA amp with 8 infinity door speakers, let's just say I could hear a lot better before that system LOL