GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Basics for track?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Is there a sticky or reference to recommended track stuff like brake pads, brake fluid, etc.? Looking to book my first high performance driving school, but I can't find info on just the basics you need to safely run a stock-ish GTI.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
No sticky that I know of. But certainly fresh high performance brake fluid. Depending on what organization you run with they may require a tech inspection which should expose mechanical issues. Stock tires will be fine, and my fist instructor preferred me to have them. They will have lower limits and allow you to learn more easily than sticky high performance tires. Helmet of course.
I would also bring water, snacks/food. Shade if poss. Google first time HPDE and a bunch of lists come up. The organization you are running with should also have FAQ to help you get started.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm thinking, minimum to start tracking:
- good set of summer tires
- Better brake fluid (RBF660)
- RS3 brake ducts (they are very cheap and supposedly work well)
-Ferodo brake pads (will hold up way better than stock pads with the heat)

You can essentially use the car stock, but if you are a quick learner, you will out grow it very quickly. With the above changes you can track it and really enjoy it, even if you have good skills, the car will perform impressively.
Anything above and beyond that stuff is to get the edge, or to take care of shortcomings that annoy you.
Another change to consider is to get an OBDeleven (big changes for very little money), and do the tweaks that help track performance. The tweaks I personally made are:
  • Reduce XDS Setting from STANDARD to WEAK (will allow a little more wheel spin exiting sharp turns quickly, brakes interfere less, you can modulate yourself with throttle)
  • Change Brake Stabilization from ACTIVATED to NOT ACTIVATED (will let you trail brake, shuts electronics that keep the car straight under hard braking)
  • Change Brake Assistance from NORMAL to NOT ACTIVATED (gives more linear braking under hard braking. If it's on, the car will add additional braking under hard braking. Harder to do threshold braking with it on)
NOTE: If the above changes aren't made, you will most likely wear the brake pads much faster if the electronics kick in to save you / "help" you. Of course, keep in mind, if you make these changes the electronics won't kick in as much, so you may be more susceptible to an accident if you are not experienced in track driving. So do them at your own risk, and understand that it's better to wear the brakes out, rather than crash!

The next change, that most people appreciate after the first group of basics are done and they become a better driver, is a thicker rear sway bar. If you track a lot, especially in the heat, a front mounted intercooler is a nice upgrade as well.
Once you go down the rabbit hole of modifications it is VERY difficult to stop. It's human nature to always want more and better. Each person has a different level that they need the car to perform to be satisfied.
Do some research and figure out how far you want to go, it's more of a personal decision. There is no bad choice since these cars are capable machines right out of the box!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks folks. So I’m just going for one half day session. Will be around 3 hours of driving. So I just want to make sure I’m in good shape for that first and foremost. Beyond that? Who knows ;)

So is changing brake fluid a must even for this relatively short session?

Last edited:

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
There is no sticky thread because it turns into a large argument -- it's a subjective matter.

The truth is, you can go to a HPDE with a bone stock GTI, or any car for that matter.

Your limitations will be brakes
- If you brake hard over and over, you will fade your pads and/or boil your fluid and have complete brake failure
- If you coast into corners and look after your brakes you will be fine even with the OEM setup

If you want to do your basics for safety they would be: RBF600, and any cheap basic pad like EBC Yellow, Ferodo 2500, Hawk HPS. And, still look after your brakes because this isn't a proper track setup.

Have fun!

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Also keep stability control activated. You'll have plenty to learn before having to worry about if the ESC system is slowing you down. Usually if it kicks in, it's because you're making mistakes anyways.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Also keep stability control activated. You'll have plenty to learn before having to worry about if the ESC system is slowing you down. Usually if it kicks in, it's because you're making mistakes anyways.
Good tip here. No point in spinning out on your first track day.

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
Thanks folks. So I’m just going for one half day session. Will be around 3 hours of driving. So I just want to make sure I’m in good shape for that first and foremost. Beyond that? Who knows ;)

So is changing brake fluid a must even for this relatively short session?
My $.02:
I would highly recommend doing brake fluid so that isn't the limiting factor on your fun, learning, and safety.

The longer version:
I've done a couple dozen track days in my daily driver / autocross vehicles over the years including in my old 2017 GTI Sport (Performance Package) DSG set up for GS autox: 245/40-17 200tw tires (Nexen and Bridgestones) on 17x7.5 wheels, rear sway bar.

Did 1 track day at High Plains Raceway in CO with stock (PP) brakes, including OEM fluid. Getting in a full 15-20 minute session was getting sketchy by the end of the day due to the pedal getting soft, and I wasn't pushing it to 10/10ths by any means. I felt I needed to change the fluid after that day.

Did 2 more track days at HPR with Motul RBF600, and even on stock pads everything performed decent enough to push it pretty hard (what I'd call 8/10th's) for a 15-20 minute session. The PP brakes are so touchy on the street as it is that I didn't want to upgrade pads for my casual track day use once or twice a year. Had the car up until 54k, with countless autocross runs and those 3 track days. Original OEM pads were still holding up fine.

If you're pushing more than stock power, you will of course need better brakes to slow it down. If you don't have PP brakes, I'd expect more fade and possibly needing better pads.

In short, the PP brakes are pretty effective for stock simple single-piston brakes. But OEM fluid isn't made to handle track use.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks for that insight. Brake fluid seems to be a very strong recommendation from many. I am Stage 1 tuned, which I didn’t consider when asking this question, so will the 600 fluid keep me safe enough? I suppose there are some good street/track hybrid pads I could consider…

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks for that insight. Brake fluid seems to be a very strong recommendation from many. I am Stage 1 tuned, which I didn’t consider when asking this question, so will the 600 fluid keep me safe enough? I suppose there are some good street/track hybrid pads I could consider…
Yes RBF600 will be good. I recommend upgraded pads for anyone, especially if you're tuned. As you know, track days aren't cheap, so you don't want to waste your time on track with worries about if your brakes will hold up. DS2500 is a good hybrid pad that will suit your needs.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
RBF600 + DS2500s are great. I'd agree with the brake tweaks too (turn off straight-ahead stabilization and brake assist, and set brake booster to 2/3). This does not turn off ESC (traction control). These make the pads feel much more linear and you'll have less issues with ABS (google ice mode abs track and be glad it's not very common on these cars).

The PP brakes are so touchy on the street as it is that I didn't want to upgrade pads for my casual track day use once or twice a year.

This is just the stock brake assist + the grabbiness of OEM pad material. Something like DS2500 should actually feel less touchy, especially with those options.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
mrmattolsen, not every section from this FAQ track tip section will apply to your track day (like payment and refunds), but should be of some value to you:

https://chintrackdays.com/tips-faqs.aspx

Yeah, like you have already heard: Motul RBF600 and maybe some upgraded track pads if you don't have the PP package. But you should bring some basic car tools and supplies.

Curious, who are you planning to run with for your first time out?