GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bar-Tech Tuning oil cooler

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Lots of options if you google P3318 filter.
PXL_20220223_174410934.jpg

Last edited:

tmbzip

Ready to race!
Got it today, downside is unlike the the racingline the actual fittings aren't attached and the hose is one hose that needs to be cut. Not a huge issue, also why it's cheaper I guess, but one thing I missed was the upper grill mounted solution was the V1 (and photo wasn't a MK7, oops), the V2 is mounting where an FMIC would be. Missed that... however I'll report back if I can mount it behind the upper grille still.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Got it today, downside is unlike the the racingline the actual fittings aren't attached and the hose is one hose that needs to be cut. Not a huge issue, also why it's cheaper I guess, but one thing I missed was the upper grill mounted solution was the V1 (and photo wasn't a MK7, oops), the V2 is mounting where an FMIC would be. Missed that... however I'll report back if I can mount it behind the upper grille still.
Looks like you're right, my kit looks kind of like this one:

1646150682212.png

I don't see anything that looks like that bracket, however. Not a huge deal, overall I still think it beats buying the RL kit and then paying for a larger cooler on top.

tmbzip

Ready to race!
So theres no way this would fit behind the upper grille without some heavy modification to the crash bar so that's a pass. I ended up passenger side mounting like some have done with VWR kits. They only provide 2 L shaped brackets, so you can come up with your own solution or go similar to how I did it (ghetto but it's sturdy). I had an existing relocation bracket from my FMIC but it was still short so I bridged that gap with what I had around the garage.

The kit also comes with one long hose you'll need to cut and install the provided fittings yourself, they do have a video explaining how to properly fit them, that's the extent of provided instructions lol. The good part of this, is you have more options on how you'd like to mount it with all the extra hose length. Used Chicken Wire for the mesh where the fog light was, used regular black automotive spray paint+clear.

Overall the kit is good bang for your buck with a 19 row cooler, and thermostatic sandwhich plate, but you'll need to be comfortable DIY'ing and figuiring things out yourself. Happy to help anyone that has questions though!
IMG_6221.jpg
IMG_6224.jpg
IMG_6225.jpg

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
So theres no way this would fit behind the grille without some heavy modification to the crash bar so that's a pass. I ended up passenger side mounting like some have done with VWR kits.
Bummer. But that's just because you're running the FMIC right?

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I dig it! I ordered a Golf R bumped for my wagon last week, figuring once I've got the IS20 on there, I will probably run into oil temp issues on hot days at the track. Golf R's have auxiliary radiator's on the passenger side, not sure if I'll have issues with water temp, but I suppose if I do and I put a oil cooler behind that vent as you have, I could always stack them.

Are you planning on opening vents up in your fender liner to give the air somewhere to go post cooler?

tmbzip

Ready to race!
I dig it! I ordered a Golf R bumped for my wagon last week, figuring once I've got the IS20 on there, I will probably run into oil temp issues on hot days at the track. Golf R's have auxiliary radiator's on the passenger side, not sure if I'll have issues with water temp, but I suppose if I do and I put a oil cooler behind that vent as you have, I could always stack them.

Are you planning on opening vents up in your fender liner to give the air somewhere to go post cooler?
Yeah I'll at least take off the removeable cover in the fender for track or fun drives. Right now on the streets I'm still able to hit 200degrees, barely, it was 65 outside and took about 10-15 minutes to reach it on my 25minute stop n go commute. Unless it hits the rare 50degree range here I won't need the block off plate I made it seems.

I was thinking about doing a R bumper too with it's larger openings. Though if anything the Golf R fender liner would be more beneficial to me for now, it has a lot of vents and isn't expensive used on ebay.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Yeah I'll at least take off the removeable cover in the fender for track or fun drives. Right now on the streets I'm still able to hit 200degrees, barely, it was 65 outside and took about 10-15 minutes to reach it on my 25minute stop n go commute. Unless it hits the rare 50degree range here I won't need the block off plate I made it seems.

I was thinking about doing a R bumper too with it's larger openings. Though if anything the Golf R fender liner would be more beneficial to me for now, it has a lot of vents and isn't expensive used on ebay.
Nice, I got the fender liners ordered as well. I think I will probably end up ordering the kit at some point this summer, though I'm still trying to make sure on oil filters though..

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Nice, I got the fender liners ordered as well. I think I will probably end up ordering the kit at some point this summer, though I'm still trying to make sure on oil filters though..
I'm 100% sure on the Bosch part I posted. It's what came in the kit.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Hm, about the only "P3318" filter that seems readily available here in the states is a FRAM fuel filter, unless I'm missing something..
Someone else mentioned Mahle OC295, but the first result I get for Bosch P3318 is this which has a ton: https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/BOSCH/P3318

Mann, Hengst, and a couple of the other OE VW suppliers can't be too hard to find.

e.g. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hengst-parts/audi-seat-vw-oil-filter/030115561aa~hen/

Last edited: