GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bang for your Buck - $1,000 to spend

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Unless your financial situation is incredibly secure, the correct answer is save/invest it. Just like you may unexpectedly receive a windfall, you never know when you will have an unexpected expense like a car repair bill.

But if you have to spend it now, a set of sticky tires will make the most difference in your daily driving experience for the money.

agree 100% with both points.

I will probably never do this, but right now, I'm thinking that after replacing tires (and/or wheels), an FMIC will be the next most-beneficial option. ...I live in a rather hot and humid place though, so it isn't the same benefit for all owners.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Question for the "get a tune people": is that really a good idea before replacing the garbage OEM tires? Won't you just get more wheel spin?

asking for a friend...

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
When I first bought the GTI with the S001 max performance summer rubber, I let the father in law (71) go for a ride on a closed course (in Mexico, no less) with me in the passenger seat. Now, if I were assigning the speed limit of this specific wide open area of the track, I'd say... oh, about 50km - 60 km/hr or so. He was doing 125+ish, marvelling about how it could just be the best car he's ever driven, it's just so comfortably glued to the road , etc. (and I was white knuckled almost shitting myself taking fast turns in my brand new car with a senior citizen at the wheel thinking "oh great, so THIS is how it ends. This is how he gets me back for railing his daughter)

I've since jb4 tuned, removed all the nannies, and swapped to a set of UHP falken fk510 tires. I let him drive the car earlier this summer. He honestly said that he thinks I've ruined it.

Take that for whatever it's worth.... a guy who used to drive midgets and old cooper esses thought the OE gti on oe max perf summer rubber was the best grippiest car he's driven.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Based on what I want to do with my car...I'd probably get a dogbone upgrade, I'm thinking of upgrading the pendulum mount but without a puck or insert upgrade. Then I'd get a short shifter kit. Those 2 items right there are gonna be $500 if I order from APR.

Then I'd also do a resonator delete and a bleeder valve removal or bleeder upgrade. Maybe get some spacers too and have $100-200 or so left over.

That's really all I want to do with the car for right now. Eventually there will be a stage 1 tune and a dmfw clutch upgrade, but that's probably a few years away as I'm trying to keep my warranty for a bit.

Before the tune I want to get some wheels and tires, but that'll come a little later too.

I want a lightly modded stage 1 car so that's the direction I'll be heading. If you can figure out where you want the car to be eventually it'll help a lot in figuring out what mods you should get. I just traded in a mk6 gti I spent 6 years modding though, and I feel like that experience is helping me a lot in determining which mods I want and don't want. I had a mk4 gti for 6 years before that too that I put a lot of money into. I'm over it now. I want put like $2-3k into minor tasteful mods and stop there.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
The dogbone mount or inset is fine, but do not waste $1 upgrading the dogbone itself.

I have a billet one, completely useless. Stock one is better in several ways.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
2 chicks at the same time
What are the odds... the guy I used to pester on the last forum for tuning advice had Lawrence as his avatar, and I ms painted my way to the following masterpiece

Diggs, are you from Oregon originally?

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Depending on what tires you have now, tires are the single best mod you can do these. It completely transformed my car. The car grips and goes, no more extended wheelspin or wheelhop. No more squeeling and leaning over in hard turns. The stock all seasons are trash.

If you've already got good tires, I'd go for a tune. Cobb, APR, JB, pick your poison.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Sveeeeden

Ja

Pretty simple, but I think this might be the creepiest response one man could say to another, especially with the facial expression I picture.

Can I top it?

Mmmmmmm, 90's mullets.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
6MT??

Clutch so you can do real mods.
This all day long.... if you plan on keeping the car any length of time, and plan on other mods in the future, this is the savings account to go with. No it's not the "bang for the buck" as you probably wont be able to tell much of a difference in performance, but it will save you in the long run if/when the stock clutch goes. You may (or may not) have that coin lying around later when it does fail. A jb4 was my first mod at 18k miles. By 22k miles my clutch was a goner. Luckily the timing worked out where I had the funds for an ecs stage 2 clutch. All is well now! Which ever mod you choose, have fun with it. In the end, it's your car. Do what makes you happy. Just my 2 cents....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk