GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad Mildew smell A/C leak or something else?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Thank you. Just to follow up I replaced the carpet and insulation. It wasn’t actually THAT difficult. Should have done it first.

But I am noticing water on the door sills after heavy rain. So I removed the door card and had a friend spray the hose at the window for 2 minutes and then water started dribbling through the hole that I have circled. My question is - can I seal thay hole up? There was no water coming from around the speaker now.
Check the pins that affix the door card to the door. They should have seals on them so when the card is placed on the door it’s sealed and the water should be directed down the door through the drain holes.

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply. The pins on the door card look pretty good to my eyes. Do you think it’s a good idea to add a dab of silicone sealant to each pin?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Thanks for the reply. The pins on the door card look pretty good to my eyes. Do you think it’s a good idea to add a dab of silicone sealant to each pin?
Honestly. No. Doing that you risk breaking the door card if you have to take it off. There may be something else at play or missing causing this. Keep in mind water control is hard to rest effectively with some components removed.

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly. No. Doing that you risk breaking the door card if you have to take it off. There may be something else at play or missing causing this. Keep in mind water control is hard to rest effectively with some components removed.
That’s what I was worried about too. So I’ll rule that out. I just am paranoid about ruining my new carpet and insulation. Maybe I’ll put the card back on and then do another water test. I saw water coming out of the drain on the leading edge of the door during my last test so that seemed to be flowing freely. I just don’t think there should be water on the plastic door sills like I showed in my picture.

TVbuster

Passed Driver's Ed
Want to let you know I found the leak!
I sealed it yesterday. I'm going to do another water test hopefully this evening.

greencode

Car(s)
VW Golf R MK7
I replaced the carpet and insulation. It wasn’t actually THAT difficult.
@TVbuster not sure if you still have your Golf but I’ve not got the dreaded mildew smell in my Golf R. I had the rear speaker issue a while back. You mentioned that you replaced the carpet and insulation. Did you buy them new form the manufacturer? Also, did it mean ripping out all of the interior I.e. seats, centre console etc? Did you follow a guide? Thanks in advance for any help.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
@TVbuster not sure if you still have your Golf but I’ve not got the dreaded mildew smell in my Golf R. I had the rear speaker issue a while back. You mentioned that you replaced the carpet and insulation. Did you buy them new form the manufacturer? Also, did it mean ripping out all of the interior I.e. seats, centre console etc? Did you follow a guide? Thanks in advance for any help.
I have't replace the carpet. But I have tried pulling the carpet back in the passenger footwell to get to the drain tube that was leaking water into the car. Definitely need to take out all the plastic trims. Take out the front seats, rear seats only the bottom, and removed all the plastic trims all around and probably the trims in the center console to be able to take out the carpet as a whole. the front seats and rear seat isn't very hard. Taking out the drivers seat with the steering rack is kinda tricky. Need to pull it out at in angle. Regarding the trims.I removed a long trim on the center console to be ale to pull the carpet back and the metal bracket (clip) doesn't want to snap back into place. I tuck it in so it doesn't hang. You maybe can reference this dropbox I came cross the other day. It's kinda tricky to understand and is not extremely detailed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6hras1we6shmmv/D4B8046FF15-Body_Interior.pdf?dl=0

greencode

Car(s)
VW Golf R MK7
I have't replace the carpet. But I have tried pulling the carpet back in the passenger footwell to get to the drain tube that was leaking water into the car. Definitely need to take out all the plastic trims. Take out the front seats, rear seats only the bottom, and removed all the plastic trims all around and probably the trims in the center console to be able to take out the carpet as a whole. the front seats and rear seat isn't very hard. Taking out the drivers seat with the steering rack is kinda tricky. Need to pull it out at in angle. Regarding the trims.I removed a long trim on the center console to be ale to pull the carpet back and the metal bracket (clip) doesn't want to snap back into place. I tuck it in so it doesn't hang. You maybe can reference this dropbox I came cross the other day. It's kinda tricky to understand and is not extremely detailed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6hras1we6shmmv/D4B8046FF15-Body_Interior.pdf?dl=0

Thanks so much for this. Really helpful. Yet to do this yet as I'm still hoping that VW may do this under warranty (doubtful!). I managed to get the carpet and underlay on eBay - pretty much brand new for £150 so pleased with that.