GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Back of the Dragon (VA) Dec. 3 2020

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I feel like to properly experience the Tail and the surrounding area you need to stay there a few days.
Absolutely, we took wayah rd down to Gatlinburg, then moonshiner 28 back to almond nc...it was about a 5 hour sprint, by the time we got back to our airbnb we high fived, hugged that we weren't dead and were ready to drink a beer and chill. Put the car on jackstands to make sure it was ready for the next day to repeat

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
Funny I'm heading up to BoD with a couple of buddies tomorrow. You guys should hit up Burke's Garden while you're up there as well, great road and it's very close to Tazewell.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Funny I'm heading up to BoD with a couple of buddies tomorrow. You guys should hit up Burke's Garden while you're up there as well, great road and it's very close to Tazewell.

Post some pictures and let us know if there’s anything specific to lookout for or do other than Burke’s Garden. I’m not sure if anyone in our group has been there before

pwomble

Passed Driver's Ed
Need to plan this for us that have a 10 hour drive to get there next time!

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
Post some pictures and let us know if there’s anything specific to lookout for or do other than Burke’s Garden. I’m not sure if anyone in our group has been there before

Other than being a little cool for 200tw tires it was a beautiful day for a drive. We grabbed a coffee at the ToD store, had lunch at Mattie's Place in Burkes Garden, and ice cream at Big Walker lookout. Here are a couple of links of our basic route. I hit the waypoint limit so I had to break it into 2. Be warned that there is no cell service at the end of the first link/beginning of the 2nd link. I should have saved them in offline maps but didn't lol. I had to figure a few turns out using the crappy Mazda factory nav that came in my ND.

https://goo.gl/maps/rSgcJyncFCJvaz2QA

https://goo.gl/maps/D9dNxc1YjauGAys6A

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Other than being a little cool for 200tw tires it was a beautiful day for a drive. We grabbed a coffee at the ToD store, had lunch at Mattie's Place in Burkes Garden, and ice cream at Big Walker lookout. Here are a couple of links of our basic route. I hit the waypoint limit so I had to break it into 2. Be warned that there is no cell service at the end of the first link/beginning of the 2nd link. I should have saved them in offline maps but didn't lol. I had to figure a few turns out using the crappy Mazda factory nav that came in my ND.

https://goo.gl/maps/rSgcJyncFCJvaz2QA

https://goo.gl/maps/D9dNxc1YjauGAys6A

Nice pics! Also cool to see another ND owner on here. I own a 2017. Previous owner had updated infotainment installed at dealership with android auto. Totally worth it.

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
Nice pics! Also cool to see another ND owner on here. I own a 2017. Previous owner had updated infotainment installed at dealership with android auto. Totally worth it.

Thanks! Yeah there's a few Miata owners on here that I've encountered. VW daily and Miata fun car is a great combo. My GSW was the first car I owned with android auto and now I don't want to drive a car without it. The deal I made on my ND was contingent on the dealer installing aa before I took delivery.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Jake, why on a weekday and not on a weekend? Due to it being a Thursday, I can't go because of work. If it was on a Saturday or Sunday, then I'd be all about it.
I could say the same thing about weekends..ahhahaha. Sometimes nice to have some things during the week.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I could say the same thing about weekends..ahhahaha. Sometimes nice to have some things during the week.

My “weekend” is Wednesday and Thursday, which works out perfectly for stuff like this as there’s less traffic.

This week I’m actually off work November 25-Dec 3, but like most people we had plans for the holiday weekend. They ended up falling through anyway, but I’d already set the date based on my days off and the majority of the people going having mid week days off as well (bunch of mechanics & engineers)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m surprised out of 812 views this thread hasn’t gathered any other participants.

Everyone going so far are from the original texts sent out by Swcrow and I.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Me too, I drove my car to the grocery store today, which was the first time it’s moved in almost a week lol. I’m ready to put some fun miles on it.
After my “dipstick check disaster” today, I think I’m good lol. Thanks for the quick texts to point me in the right direction. Whole underside got a nice coating of lubri moly LOL.

I’ll be testing it multiple times before Thursday