GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Back at Watkins Glen after 12 years...

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Here's a video from my 2nd session at the Glen during a two day event with Audi NEQ. Great club by the way.

First time back at Watkins Glen in 12 years. What a terrific track. My Harry's data had some issues that got worse as the days progressed, thus this early session. You can see that it combines some lap times and the speed is off in a few places. Anywho, you can get the drift. We checked data against a friend's AIM and back straight was about 130+ with my best clean laps at 2:24 for the 2 days.

Take my passes of some significantly faster cars with a grain of salt. Being the first time back at the Glen in many years I wanted an instructor for the day to get the nuances of the track back. This was best served by running in Intermediate for this event, so I was not running in advanced. In any case it was a good group and a hugely fun couple of days. Chasing the yellow Cayman GTS was a hoot.

Video is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iba6mwfepko23z/Watkins Glen 19-08-26 Session 2.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Link doesn't work. Wanna check this out bc I'm only 2 hours from the glenn and that will probably be the first track i hit up when i eventually do it lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AR11

Ready to race!
Nice driving. Looks like a fun track. Are the rumble strips in that chicane as rough as they look in your 2nd lap?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Nice driving. Looks like a fun track. Are the rumble strips in that chicane as rough as they look in your 2nd lap?

Thanks, definitely is a fun track.

That chicane, "the bus stop", definitely looks like it is hammering your suspension, but it is really not bad. Very loud, but not bad. The main reason is that your wheels opposite the curbing are weighted pretty heavy, and the wheels going over the curbs are very light; therefore the car is surprisingly neutral.

The Glen is a huge track for trail braking. One thing you need to keep in mind at the bus stop is that you need to be off the brake by the time you hit the curbing to keep from upsetting the car or else all the above counts less. If you are off the brakes by then and going fairly hard it's a very fun section.

Last edited:

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I grew up 20 mins from Watkins. It is on my to do list for track days. VIR is closer to me now, but I went to watch many races at The Glen and really want to drive there myself.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
slow porsches are the bane of any track day. Cool vid.

Thanks.

Hah! Sadly true at many events, although the Porsches at the Glen weren't too bad. At least they were quick with the pass signals for the most part. There was an S4, not in this video, that was dangerously slow.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I grew up 20 mins from Watkins. It is on my to do list for track days. VIR is closer to me now, but I went to watch many races at The Glen and really want to drive there myself.

You should definitely give it a shot. It is a terrific track. Although your VIR ain't too shabby either. ;>)

After getting back to the Glen after so long, I now want to make it an annual event. Audi NEQ and SCDA are two groups that do the Glen that I would highly recommend running with.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
VIR is also my home track. Watkins Glen is on my list of tracks to visit. Most probably before I head down to Atlanta to run on Road Atlanta.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Bumping this old thread so it’s easier to find.

Thanks for sharing the video, I’ll be running here with SCDA next Monday and this is a good reference for the line in general and learning where the flag stations are. Nice driving too!

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. it's a great track. Not sure if I'll get there this season due to Covid rearranging my schedule, but there is still time.

SCDA is a great group, and Elivan is one of the nicest peope to lead a club. I run with them a few times each year. Have a great day!