GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Avoid Speedwell Industries & East End Raceshop

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
He shouldn't pay shipping. Once he wins his chargeback, he can tell the vendor "send me a shipping label so I can send them back". If they send the labels then he sends them back.

He already has evidence that the damage is there while in his possession. Compile all messages between himself and shop documenting that he tried to resolve issue, get all documentation from UPS denying shipping claim, take more pictures, get documentation from wheel shop that the wheel is bent, get them packed, take pictures of packaging, send em off.

I would also try to get a shipping label from the shop, but what I'm saying is losing the ~$100 on shipping may be worth having the situation resolved/over

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I would also try to get a shipping label from the shop, but what I'm saying is losing the ~$100 on shipping may be worth having the situation resolved/over

I would leave it at asking for shipping label once he wins chargeback. OP shouldn't be out of pocket at all for their misrepresentation (borderline fraud).

Asking for the shipping label would show he did his due diligence. And if they don't send pre-paid shipping label, then he keeps the wheels because obviously these guys don't want them back.

cb1111

He already has evidence that the damage is there while in his possession. Compile all messages between himself and shop documenting that he tried to resolve issue, get all documentation from UPS denying shipping claim, take more pictures, get documentation from wheel shop that the wheel is bent, get them packed, take pictures of packaging, send em off.

Sending the wheels back doesn't get him his money back.

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
I would leave it at asking for shipping label once he wins chargeback. OP shouldn't be out of pocket at all for their misrepresentation (borderline fraud).

Asking for the shipping label would show he did his due diligence. And if they don't send pre-paid shipping label, then he keeps the wheels because obviously these guys don't want them back.

Agreed. I guess I am saying in the sense that the documentation being on my side, and I also was refunded by my CC, I would be willing to eat the shipping cost to never deal with these guys again and be done with the whole situation.

Sending the wheels back doesn't get him his money back.

This is all assuming he gets refunded by his CC

Aristocrat Autosport

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I read about this post in Socal MK7 and having read about this here, I cannot believe that you had to go through this horrible experinece. Customer service should always be the top priority at a business.

That being said, I'd like to shed some light onto the whole forged wheel subject. It's a common misconception that there is only one type of wheel forging, however there an in truth, two main types. Japanese companies such as TWS (Not to be confused with TSW) and Rays use mold/die forging which is a very expensive method of manufacturing wheels but it leads to an incredibly strong product. Some examples of mold/die forged wheels are the Volk Racing line such as the ZE40, CE28 and TE37, any forged BBS wheel (they are all made in Japan), the WedsSport FT-117, and all TWS wheels. The now commonly used forging method is CNC/Billet forging, which is how Speedwell wheels are made.

With mold/die forging, the wheel's spoke design is set when the aluminum billet is compressed. A mold with a rough imprint of the wheel's spoke design is pressed into the billet with 6k-12k tons of pressure, compressing the grain structure of the metal. The end result of this first stage of forging results in a metal pancake with a rough design of the wheel's spokes already imprinted. Afterwards the barrel shape is formed and final machining is done before heading into surface treatment and paint. Here's a photo below of the metal "pancake" via video supplied by Rays. In the video they state that the most important part of forging is "directing the grain or to direct the flow of the forged material."

With CNC forging, the aluminum blank is compressed like in die forging, however there is no mold involved, it simply turned into a true blank. The wheel is turned into an unfinished wheel blank with the barrel structure and concave design already formed; the spokes design is then cut out using a CNC machine. Picture of a wheel blank before CNC below from Vossen:

One of the major reasons why the stuff from BBS and Volk Racing costs so much is that due to the die forging process, the upkeep on the mold is very expensive, as wear and tear on the mold requires it to be constantly replaced, increasing production costs. With either construction method, the wheels do take time to make, so I would be wary if the price is too good to be true.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Coming here to update everybody.
After a long long long wait, I’ve finally won the dispute through MasterCard.

Full refund and kept the wheels.

Nice..

You should still offer to send them back at their expense via call tag...

SLW_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to hear the situation was resolved for you. I have a set of the first RS-1 design from Speedwell. I also dealt with Sam although my experience was quite the opposite. It's unfortunate that you went through what you did. I have no complaints with my wheels, they're very light 17~lbs and Sam was "Johnny on the spot" with me, responding to my texts, emails even met me halfway to bring the wheels. Then again I'm local and didn't have to deal with shipping issues.

A lot of local people have purchased Speedwell wheels with no issues, some even track them.

Posts like this are unfortunate for everyone, especially those who own said companies product(s) and may want to re-sell one day. You got a very good deal though ($1000), most of us paid retail or close ($1800).

RE below: can you comment on the forging process of Titan 7 wheels? They are on par as far as pricing with Speedwell Industries.

I read about this post in Socal MK7 and having read about this here, I cannot believe that you had to go through this horrible experinece. Customer service should always be the top priority at a business.

That being said, I'd like to shed some light onto the whole forged wheel subject. It's a common misconception that there is only one type of wheel forging, however there an in truth, two main types. Japanese companies such as TWS (Not to be confused with TSW) and Rays use mold/die forging which is a very expensive method of manufacturing wheels but it leads to an incredibly strong product. Some examples of mold/die forged wheels are the Volk Racing line such as the ZE40, CE28 and TE37, any forged BBS wheel (they are all made in Japan), the WedsSport FT-117, and all TWS wheels. The now commonly used forging method is CNC/Billet forging, which is how Speedwell wheels are made.

With mold/die forging, the wheel's spoke design is set when the aluminum billet is compressed. A mold with a rough imprint of the wheel's spoke design is pressed into the billet with 6k-12k tons of pressure, compressing the grain structure of the metal. The end result of this first stage of forging results in a metal pancake with a rough design of the wheel's spokes already imprinted. Afterwards the barrel shape is formed and final machining is done before heading into surface treatment and paint. Here's a photo below of the metal "pancake" via video supplied by Rays. In the video they state that the most important part of forging is "directing the grain or to direct the flow of the forged material."

With CNC forging, the aluminum blank is compressed like in die forging, however there is no mold involved, it simply turned into a true blank. The wheel is turned into an unfinished wheel blank with the barrel structure and concave design already formed; the spokes design is then cut out using a CNC machine. Picture of a wheel blank before CNC below from Vossen:

One of the major reasons why the stuff from BBS and Volk Racing costs so much is that due to the die forging process, the upkeep on the mold is very expensive, as wear and tear on the mold requires it to be constantly replaced, increasing production costs. With either construction method, the wheels do take time to make, so I would be wary if the price is too good to be true.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
A friend of mine just had a very similar experience with ordering a set of wheels from Watercooledind for his RS3. Took over a year to get the wheels and they were heavily damaged when he got the "new" set of wheels.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I think you're overreacting for scratches on the inside of the wheel that no one will ever even see.

That said, used wheels are used wheels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Those aren’t really scratches, they are gouged. I could fix them if OP was close, but a bent wheel is pretty ridiculous.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Good to hear the situation was resolved for you. I have a set of the first RS-1 design from Speedwell. I also dealt with Sam although my experience was quite the opposite. It's unfortunate that you went through what you did. I have no complaints with my wheels, they're very light 17~lbs and Sam was "Johnny on the spot" with me, responding to my texts, emails even met me halfway to bring the wheels. Then again I'm local and didn't have to deal with shipping issues.

A lot of local people have purchased Speedwell wheels with no issues, some even track them.

Posts like this are unfortunate for everyone, especially those who own said companies product(s) and may want to re-sell one day. You got a very good deal though ($1000), most of us paid retail or close ($1800).

RE below: can you comment on the forging process of Titan 7 wheels? They are on par as far as pricing with Speedwell Industries.
They are wheels made in China being rebranded and sold. I wouldn't buy a pencil from this company.

Those aren’t really scratches, they are gouged. I could fix them if OP was close, but a bent wheel is pretty ridiculous.
Yeah I ended up selling them as-is.

SLW_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
They are wheels made in China being rebranded and sold. I wouldn't buy a pencil from this company.

Can you provide more reference for where you are getting this information? They claim their wheels are made in the USA.