GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Average MPG?

Sleep7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
My average right now is about 21.9 MPG, but that’s involved a lot of sitting in my car eating with the AC on. Normal driving without meals on wheels, I get around 24 combined. On the freeway I get about 28-29. This is at Stage 2 with a roof rack on.

CherubMK7

Car(s)
Q/R/S
With the GTi I’d gotten up to 32-34 with continuous one way 50-70 miles trips. Now with the R I’m averaging 23 local/highway combined and 27-30 Highway depending on distance.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
According to the RoadTrip app, my DSG R is averaging 22.85 mpg over 9,963 miles and 12 mos. No mods other than a spare tire kit and running winter tires for half those miles.

That is .5 mpg better than my 2010 GTI over 29k miles in the same driving conditions.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
I can get 32/33 hypermiling the GTI around town. Drove the R 420 miles Thursday, mostly with ACC set at 85mph, got 26.5mpg.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I average around 27 long term over 6 years 72k km APR stage 2 HO. I mainly do most of my driving on highway. On a longer highway trip I get around 34-35. Our speed limit is 100km/h here which might help.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
By the way for everyone quoting MPG numbers the VW readout isn't accurate at all. The only way to accurately calculate your MPG is by filling the tank to full, drive and when refill the tank to full is to calculate the real MPG. I can drive 50 MPH for 100 miles and the VW readout says I've averaged 50 MPG. I have to fill up everyday and I calculate my MPG and it averages 2.3 MPG less than what the readout says.

Those readouts have been pretty accurate as far as full tanks are concerned. I calculated my MPG for a full tank and then compared it to what the MFD said. Pretty damn close to within about half a mile per gallon.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Those readouts have been pretty accurate as far as full tanks are concerned. I calculated my MPG for a full tank and then compared it to what the MFD said. Pretty damn close to within about half a mile per gallon.

Mine is off by 2.3 MPG. I fill up everyday and calculate it and it's been consistently 2.3 MPG less than the the MFD says. That's how I figure out how much Torco to add everyday when I get home and I'm always within 2 tenths of a gallon accurate when I fill up the next morning.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Mine is off by 2.3 MPG. I fill up everyday and calculate it and it's been consistently 2.3 MPG less than the the MFD says. That's how I figure out how much Torco to add everyday when I get home and I'm always within 2 tenths of a gallon accurate when I fill up the next morning.

You are persistent and consistent.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
My average right now is about 21.9 MPG, but that’s involved a lot of sitting in my car eating with the AC on. Normal driving without meals on wheels, I get around 24 combined. On the freeway I get about 28-29. This is at Stage 2 with a roof rack on.

You'd be surprised by how much less your A/C is on after you go for a good ceramic window tint. If you are sitting in the sun a lot, it will pay for itself.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i divide my miles driven/gallons to fill up every few tanks, and tend to get right around 30mpg. Mainly city, lot of heavy foot, some highway. APR stage 1, manual

Sleep7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
You'd be surprised by how much less your A/C is on after you go for a good ceramic window tint. If you are sitting in the sun a lot, it will pay for itself.
I have ceramic tint (Xpel Prime XR Plus) and yeah, I've had to turn the AC down from where it was (had it set to 65 just to keep up with the heat, but now I keep it at 75).

That said, I'm in SoCal and the weather's been in the 100's, so the AC is still on all the time.