GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auxillary rally lights? Ideas?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Hmmm.....hadn't looked at it that way. I drive quite a bit on the highway, so they will almost always be covered with the white hella covers, so that helps with that issue. Not sure if I like the white hella covers or if I want to get the black ones.

So the main reason I'm placing them on a separate switch and not tying them into the highbeams, is that I don't want to use them every time I need to flash my highbeams...it would be like overkill. I really only want to use them in certain situations.

Reminds me of Rigid Industry.....man....that lumin output is crazy!

I'd run a switch too. Switch on & they come on with the high beams. Switch off & the high beams come on while the Hella lights stay off. That way there is no need to fumble fr a switch when you need to dim things down.

For covers you could put some clear lamin-X on & call it good.

Once you get these wired up let us know how you like them & how stable the mounting is. I had a set of Hella 500 driving lights on my MInI & they were very nice on a country back road.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
If OP just has regular halogen lights, I would first upgrade to Ed’s headlights with an HID kit. It made a HUGE difference on my car compared to the old halogens and they look better too.

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
I think they look great and now I'm very tempted to get a set of those brackets. I even have a pair of new 500s in a box that never made it onto my Subaru FXT. I ran 500s on my first Miata 10 years ago and was very satisfied with the performance given the low price.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I think they look great and now I'm very tempted to get a set of those brackets. I even have a pair of new 500s in a box that never made it onto my Subaru FXT. I ran 500s on my first Miata 10 years ago and was very satisfied with the performance given the low price.

Love the FXT! Here's my old ride
tapatalk_1561036881358.jpeg

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion

Baja Designs, Rallye 5000s, Rigid Industries... These are great lights; but that's not all there is to it.

The home of the Hella 500 is in the truly rough stuff, in the middle of nowhere; blasting down gravel and even on the track. When it just has to work; when parts are scarce, conditions are horrible, and your lights are at great risk of theft... The answer is almost always the Hella 500. It is one of the greatest auxiliary lamp lines ever produced; and they're cheap, too. You can also run them directly off of many factory fog light circuits without issue, they'll fit on just about anything, and they still have a solid traditional aesthetic.

I love those things. They don't have much of a bling factor, but they've been everywhere on this planet that a motor vehicle has, under the worst conditions nature has to offer.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not to hijack, but I ordered these:

and will be putting them as far out to the left and right of my lower grill. I couldn't make any solution work in front of the upper grill, that I liked.

mounting points inbound on Monday and lights on Sunday, so I should be able to do a mock up to test placement this week coming up!
I can see where with a simple L-bracket they might be able to used as a front license plate mount, if you attach them higher on the grille.

ride106

Ready to race!
I'd run a switch too. Switch on & they come on with the high beams. Switch off & the high beams come on while the Hella lights stay off. That way there is no need to fumble fr a switch when you need to dim things down.

Agree that's the way to go, but the trouble here is linking the high beams on the 2018+ models with the lighting package. They no longer have a switched +12v that you can tap for a relay - high beams are triggered from a CAN bus command. I took a leap of faith and ordered this interface box http://www.canm8.com/can-bus-interfaces/lighting-control-interfaces/canm8-highbeam.html. Have not had time or warm enough weather (no garage) to try wiring it up yet but hopefully it's a winner. You could explore using fog light switch (or rear fog on a euroswitch) as the second relay so you don't use them all the time.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I have a dedicated switch hidden in my cubby for now. until i come up with something more fancy.

Attachments

• switch.png
    switch.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 261

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
SC40 (second position) is the 12v cigarrette switched position to tap with a fuse tap in this case. I can't believe how hard it is to find a push button switch.....without ordering from Amazon, hard to track one down at a local parts store. Man I miss radio shack!

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the replies! I've been busy with work and in the process of getting a possible promotion/raise, so I've been off the forum for the most part. I have decided I'm going to purchase the mounts posted on page 1 and Hella 500's with the white lights/white covers. I think it will look good with my carbon steel grey. I see if I can put together a write up and DIY once I put it together.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Thanks for all the replies! I've been busy with work and in the process of getting a possible promotion/raise, so I've been off the forum for the most part. I have decided I'm going to purchase the mounts posted on page 1 and Hella 500's with the white lights/white covers. I think it will look good with my carbon steel grey. I see if I can put together a write up and DIY once I put it together.

Take it from my trial and error.... Use the supplier harness/relay

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
As for the mounts, they are 3d printed ABS plastic.... Pretty study, but the lights aren't that heavy either.
Not sure if they salt the roads down where you are at (probably not but just in case), but if they do then keep an eye on those mounts. 3D printed ABS has some compatibility issues with certain common chemicals that will cause them to dissolve. You should be okay, but every once in a while give em a good once-over and see how they look. The lights turned out looking great though!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Not sure if they salt the roads down where you are at (probably not but just in case), but if they do then keep an eye on those mounts. 3D printed ABS has some compatibility issues with certain common chemicals that will cause them to dissolve. You should be okay, but every once in a while give em a good once-over and see how they look. The lights turned out looking great though!

Good to know, but the roads aren't salted here in SoVA that much. I will keep an eye on how they wear, but the maker uses them on his car and in MI they've lasted a full year with no issues....so I should be good, but I did wire tie them to the grill as well, as a back up just in case.