GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auxillary rally lights? Ideas?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I made some cups I 3D printed out of ABS, and then glued into the lower grill; I got some Toyota truck generic fog lamp housings that slip in from the back and use a yellow LED bulb. I did this project mostly as an homage to older rally cars, but they work pretty well too! Up close it looks factory, and doesn't block the flow.

This is exactly the route I'm going. I'll be going with hella 500ff and positioning them further out to each side, but that's the visual I've been looking for. Looks good!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Some fogs hidden behind the lower grill. Not legal to use them on public roads of course, but i do every once in a while.

Attachments

• 37328F04-FF2E-4890-A4E3-FCE183F2F565.JPG
    37328F04-FF2E-4890-A4E3-FCE183F2F565.JPG
    772.9 KB · Views: 845

ride106

Ready to race!
Some fogs hidden behind the lower grill. Not legal to use them on public roads of course, but i do every once in a while.

Agree with this method. I did that in my 2010 GTI with two LED spot housings, mounted to the bottom of the front bumper steel. They shone right through the grill without issue, lit up rural roads like you wouldn't believe. Basically invisible when they were off. I had them sharing the high beam trigger but only when the "rear fog" vestigial switch was active, so it was all easy to control and avoid blinding people coming around corners suddenly.

I followed this guy's install and it worked great:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7367121-Auxiliary-Lights-Behind-Grill

Intending to reinstall them on my 2018 SE but waiting until the weather warms up.

2013R - curious how you have those lights triggered on your 2018 w/LP, separate switch or high beam tap?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
2013R - curious how you have those lights triggered on your 2018 w/LP, separate switch or high beam tap?

I have a dedicated switch in my small cubby under steering wheel. These are attached to my FMIC coupler hoses...

Attachments

• IMG_5143.jpg
    IMG_5143.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 608

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So this won't be most people's cup of tea, but I like them.... Plus when it's country dark on country roads and it's deer season....nuff said.

Wiring and night shots will be completed this weekend, but mounting got finished (have some cleaning up to do, but test mounting done). The mounts were specifically created to mount in that exact spot on the lower grill....I personally would have preferred lower, but it is what it is.

20200109_072712_kindlephoto-984719.jpg
20200109_072704_kindlephoto-1047326.jpg

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
having the stock fogs white above would complete the look. too much yellow in this case.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
So this won't be most people's cup of tea, but I like them.... Plus when it's country dark on country roads and it's deer season....nuff said.

Wiring and night shots will be completed this weekend, but mounting got finished (have some cleaning up to do, but test mounting done). The mounts were specifically created to mount in that exact spot on the lower grill....I personally would have preferred lower, but it is what it is.

View attachment 162716View attachment 162717

To this old used to be a rally guy those look great. Remember those are driving lights & not fog lights. They will blind oncoming traffic, but good. I'd suggest wiring those up to be switched on & off with your high beams.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
If you just plain have to go LED, these are the guys if you can swing it. I've got Squadron XLs on one of my vehicles right now, actually.

These smaller units, however, would be very good for frenching into grilles or discreet mounting in general.

Compared to conventional LED bars... These buggers are not fair at all. It's like an angel came down from heaven and is melting everything in front of you with some kind of anime god beam.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/S2-Pro.asp

LEDS do have issues, though. If one pops, you're kind of stuck if you're out in the middle of nowhere or actually in a rally competition. You can't just swap a bulb and be done with it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
having the stock fogs white above would complete the look. too much yellow in this case.

Hmmm.....hadn't looked at it that way. I drive quite a bit on the highway, so they will almost always be covered with the white hella covers, so that helps with that issue. Not sure if I like the white hella covers or if I want to get the black ones.

To this old used to be a rally guy those look great. Remember those are driving lights & not fog lights. They will blind oncoming traffic, but good. I'd suggest wiring those up to be switched on & off with your high beams.

So the main reason I'm placing them on a separate switch and not tying them into the highbeams, is that I don't want to use them every time I need to flash my highbeams...it would be like overkill. I really only want to use them in certain situations.

LEDS do have issues, though. If one pops, you're kind of stuck if you're out in the middle of nowhere or actually in a rally competition. You can't just swap a bulb and be done with it.

Reminds me of Rigid Industry.....man....that lumin output is crazy!

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
If you just plain have to go LED, these are the guys if you can swing it. I've got Squadron XLs on one of my vehicles right now, actually.

These smaller units, however, would be very good for frenching into grilles or discreet mounting in general.

Compared to conventional LED bars... These buggers are not fair at all. It's like an angel came down from heaven and is melting everything in front of you with some kind of anime god beam.

I forgot to mention something incredibly important:

Five years after I bought the Squadron XLs on the vehicle I still have, one suffered a failure. I called up to request a replacement LED assembly, but that's not what happened...

They said just send them back, and they'd send me new lights. Both of them. (y)

Can't beat that. They're worth the money if you can swing them.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I like it a lot. I would like to see them spread out even further though. How sturdy are the mounts? What make model are those lights? Hella makes some awesome round driving lights.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I like it a lot. I would like to see them spread out even further though. How sturdy are the mounts? What make model are those lights? Hella makes some awesome round driving lights.

Thanks!

I actually tried to spread them out, but the mounts and bolt holes were designed for the depth of that area specifically. Believe it or not, that honeycomb grill is not equal... Some parts are deeper than others. As for the mounts, they are 3d printed ABS plastic.... Pretty study, but the lights aren't that heavy either.

They are Hella 500ff lights