GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auxillary rally lights? Ideas?

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
So I live up in western NY and we have some dark roads with plenty of dear, crazy weather and some dirt backroads I love to tear up. Does anyone have rally style aux lights installed? I think I want to do something like this but I can’t find too much in the way of pictures to see how it would look. It seems to be pretty popular in the Mini Cooper scene but not ours. If you’ve done this I’d love to see a picture. I could always do a stealth LED light bar but I think I like the Hella light bar style... well I think anyways, need some pictures to confirm, haha!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you want to light it up the LED light bar is the best way.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Interesting you bring this up. This was one of the first things I did on my WRX....I bolted on a front crash bar and some Hella lamps. I've been looking and see NO good mount options for the GTI, except maybe mounting them to the roof rack, but then the rack becomes somewhat permanent due to the wiring you'd have to wire/hide. I don't think anyone has created a bolt-on solution and I tried to talk GTI Jake into fabbing one up, but no bueno. I'd be the first to get one. I love throwing yellow light a long ways down country roads at night! I've actually got a question into rally innovations for a MK7 application.

And no way am I buying a rigid industry light bar or LED spot light....way too expensive.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Need to bump this up as rallyinnovations just got back with me and is interested in making a MK7 version of this:
06-07_subaru-sti-lightbar-angle_4x3_aafe487f-ab5e-440d-ab21-dbc8eb52440d_1024x1024.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Sticking your lights out in front of the bumper isn't very smart.
Because they might get crushed in an accident? Or block sensors. Other than that it's their car and they can do what they want.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Won't block sensors and wouldn't interfer with a crash, so not concerned. Best place, outside of a true rally hood with the light housings molded in.

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
I made some cups I 3D printed out of ABS, and then glued into the lower grill; I got some Toyota truck generic fog lamp housings that slip in from the back and use a yellow LED bulb. I did this project mostly as an homage to older rally cars, but they work pretty well too! Up close it looks factory, and doesn't block the flow.