GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auxillary rally lights? Ideas?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So here are some initial pics, once I got a switch working. I'll find a better street, but this will do
My street at night with no lights (country dark)/hella/combined with LED
20200126_185342.jpg

20200126_185354.jpg

20200126_185401.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
FINALLY all wired up. My issue was trying without a relay.... Rookie mistake. Soldered the connections and installed switch next to steering wheel.... Hidden out of the way

20200201_115408.jpg

ORE_PDX

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 Alltrack SE
I made some cups I 3D printed out of ABS, and then glued into the lower grill; I got some Toyota truck generic fog lamp housings that slip in from the back and use a yellow LED bulb. I did this project mostly as an homage to older rally cars, but they work pretty well too! Up close it looks factory, and doesn't block the flow.
I wish an aftermarket company would pick this idea up. Would buy this set-up right now. Grill w/ different lighting options, + harness.

There is such limited mounting points for the Alltrack unless you want lights floating out front of your bumper.

Love this.

cb1111

I wish an aftermarket company would pick this idea up. Would buy this set-up right now. Grill w/ different lighting options, + harness.

There is such limited mounting points for the Alltrack unless you want lights floating out front of your bumper.

Love this.
Looks great.

I'd like to see an "old school" rally lighting solution with lights above the bumper but not sticking away - kind of like this

1628210577980.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I like 2 up & 2 down. I used Cibie lights on our rally car, but it seems they are no longer available. It was easier to mount lights on bumpers back then. Although I had to run some steady bars at the top of the driving lights to keep them from bouncing. The fogs mounted lower didn't need steady bars.

cb1111

I've got a broken Hella in a box somewhere. I'll have to find it and do a mock-up
Anybody have a broken Alltrack grill they don't need? I think you could recess the lights about an inch or so into the grill without interfering with the hood operation.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Anybody have a broken Alltrack grill they don't need? I think you could recess the lights about an inch or so into the grill without interfering with the hood operation.

They would have to be pretty small because the honeycomb portion is only about 2.25"

cb1111

They would have to be pretty small because the honeycomb portion is only about 2.25"
Not really - perhaps I explaned it wrong - the grill angles back by about an inch or so, so by insetting the lights into the grill, they move farther back from the front of the bumper. The actual light would be partially above the hood and directly in front of it.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Not really - perhaps I explaned it wrong - the grill angles back by about an inch or so, so by insetting the lights into the grill, they move farther back from the front of the bumper. The actual light would be partially above the hood and directly in front of it.

Got it.. I thought you were talking about flush mounting them.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
In all honesty, all I can think of, short of molding in some hood rally light, is to get a light bar and affix it to my roof rack. I simply cannot find a solution for additional lights. I can throw them behind the lower grill, but it would block my FMIC, so no thanks

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
In all honesty, all I can think of, short of molding in some hood rally light, is to get a light bar and affix it to my roof rack. I simply cannot find a solution for additional lights. I can throw them behind the lower grill, but it would block my FMIC, so no thanks
Personally, my ideal setup would be to relocate my front license plate to the tow-hook spot, and use a light bar to cover all of the license plate bracket holes. I'm not sure if there's any light bars that would suit that position, in terms of aerodynamics and mounting though..

ORE_PDX

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 Alltrack SE
I'd be game with mounting some behind the lower grill, going fully stealth. I just can't really see a place where a bracket would mount to for my '17 Alltrack, it's all soft plastic. And if for some reason they got bumped out of alinement, would be real pain to re-aim and tighten.

Love this setup, and keeps them from hanging off the front bumper.
Some fogs hidden behind the lower grill. Not legal to use them on public roads of course, but i do every once in a while.

Would love a kit that mounts through that grill, and dremel out a few spots then cover with a nice trim ring or something.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 8.39.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 8.39.17 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 133