GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AutoX Beginner

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I currently have the Indy 500 on a 430i and I think they’re great. They’re a 300+ treadwear tire but they remind me of old Star Specs. They seem to be a better tire than their treadwear rating leads you to believe their capabilities are.

I have the 220tw Pirelli P Zero on the stock Austins. These tires don’t get much respect in terms of online reviews because they’re not the most competitive tire but I find them to be a very well balanced performance tire with a nod towards comfort and driveability. They took a lapping day at Sebring in stride. Didn’t complain or get greasy when pushed hard.They have decent sidewall structure, comfortable ride, low noise- a true jack of all trades in my opinion!

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
No it is a 2018 S, so no PP or larger brakes. I figured this year would be figuring out the nut behind the wheel. If that can be upgraded then worry about the lack of LSD.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Most of those tires above are ones I’ve looked at. I like the Firehawks but would want to run them on aftermarket wheels keeping my OE setup for winter. It may be easier just to run STH because there are very few appealing aftermarket wheels that are only 7.5” wide. I’ve actually never had a true summer tire, on my Jetta I ran Proxes 4, Kumho Ecstas and DWS and honestly rarely had complaints. I also wasn’t doing anything competitive and the 2.5 was underpowered.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Most of those tires above are ones I’ve looked at. I like the Firehawks but would want to run them on aftermarket wheels keeping my OE setup for winter. It may be easier just to run STH because there are very few appealing aftermarket wheels that are only 7.5” wide. I’ve actually never had a true summer tire, on my Jetta I ran Proxes 4, Kumho Ecstas and DWS and honestly rarely had complaints. I also wasn’t doing anything competitive and the 2.5 was underpowered.

THese are Konig Runlites. Not terrible.
20180726_165827.jpg

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
I'd say there are more 17x7.5 wheels that fit GS specs than 17x9 or 18x9 wheels right around the et45 that'll work well for STH,

Lightweight 17x7.5 wheels for GS off the top of my head, roughly from cheapest to most expensive:
Konig Runlight
Advanti Hybris
Enkei Fujin
Sparco Assetto Gara
Enkei RPF1

200tw tires are more fun, period. You can usually find a used but not too old set from a regular autocrosser for a good deal, too.

If you have an S and get serious about autocross and find that the lack of a PP/VAQ diff is holding you back, you'd want to get a Wavetrac LSD and move up to STH. If you have a DSG, be aware that DSG tuning is not legal, however.

On a related note - I ran a couple of events in STH with my GS-prepped 2017 GTI Sport DSG, but with a Cobb AP and MAP stage 1 tune, and found that the extra power really wasn't that useful. I feel that I needed more mechanical grip (stiffer suspension and wider wheels/tires) to really go any faster than my usual competitors in GS. However in a straight line and on the street the car was FAST!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The main advantage to STH is being able to add negative camber up front.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
The main advantage to STH is being able to add negative camber up front.
Negative camber, different bushings, coilovers, engine mods, the possibilities are endless. Now if only the parts list weren't so long

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Negative camber, different bushings, coilovers, engine mods, the possibilities are endless. Now if only the parts list weren't so long

Having build a full tilt 05 STi STU car and a very simple, camber plates, RSB, DP and tune, 08 STI, I can tell you that you get very little in return for going beyond that except destroying you street car. That 08 STI hurt some feelings of full prep cars all over the state of Florida. I was protested multiple times that I must be running higher boost (you couldn't adjust boost back then), but I was not.

I'm planning same type of set up for my GTI, except I did Brembos, but the STI came with them stock. I'll be doing oil cooler, radiator and IC too, just to keep it cool on track though.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Having build a full tilt 05 STi STU car and a very simple, camber plates, RSB, DP and tune, 08 STI, I can tell you that you get very little in return for going beyond that except destroying you street car. That 08 STI hurt some feelings of full prep cars all over the state of Florida. I was protested multiple times that I must be running higher boost (you couldn't adjust boost back then), but I was not.

I'm planning same type of set up for my GTI, except I did Brembos, but the STI came with them stock. I'll be doing oil cooler, radiator and IC too, just to keep it cool on track though.

I'm still salty STH gets to replace the intercooler but STU doesn't. Wtf.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

That's pretty much my approach, trying to keep it minimal for mods in each category. Coils with camber plates, wheels and tires, and LCA bushings (mostly changing due to age) are all I have planned for suspension. I'd like to low torque tune it, but I want to plan for an LSD (non-pp) and a stock replacement clutch first.

Radiator and IC at on my list, but will likely come after all the other mods and before the tune.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's pretty much my approach, trying to keep it minimal for mods in each category. Coils with camber plates, wheels and tires, and LCA bushings (mostly changing due to age) are all I have planned for suspension. I'd like to low torque tune it, but I want to plan for an LSD (non-pp) and a stock replacement clutch first.

Radiator and IC at on my list, but will likely come after all the other mods and before the tune.

If you "accidentally" use a decent DMF clutch and pressure plate, I won't tell anyone. Suppliers send the wrong parts accidentally all the time. It's an imperfect world. :ROFLMAO:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm still salty STH gets to replace the intercooler but STU doesn't. Wtf.

Makes zero sense at all, as well as no DSG tuning. Just stupid rules. You guys may not know this, but Andy Hollis, the guy that now runs SEB, was once banned from the SCCA for cheating. He doesn't like to talk about that. He's a good guy though, big in One Lap circles too, it's just tough to make everyone happy. SCCA is going to kill off the club if they don't modernize though and become more flexible. The club is mostly boomers and the writting is on the wall if they can't generate new competitors like NASA and other bodies are.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
If you "accidentally" use a decent DMF clutch and pressure plate, I won't tell anyone. Suppliers send the wrong parts accidentally all the time. It's an imperfect world. :ROFLMAO:
I wrote asking for clarification about the pressure plate and clutch disc, shot in the dark but had to take it. I won't tune anything over low torque stage 1 anyways to keep the car semi-streetable, but a nice reliable OEM-style clutch sure would be nice.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Since this is "Auto X Beginner", that would describe me, 1 year ago, with a MK7 S (non PP) on all-season tires.
I'd agree that it's fine to leave it stock and just go out and have fun. I do appreciate the advice as far as the "ultimate GS" setup, but most of us don't expect to go to Nationals the first year. I still like discussing upgrades! My situation is such that I will likely upgrade to Pilot Sport 4s tires in the spring. Car and Driver gave them top scores for handling, and handling feel (10 out of 10). I don't plan on becoming so serious that I need track day tires (several guys here in Cleveland do, however). My car is a daily driver, so daily usability is important, and the MK7 excels at that! I did half-way decent my first year, with the Sumitomo all-seasons. Just having fun, I finished 2nd or 3rd frequently.
If you want to be more serious, follow the advice of those more experienced than I. Trackday tires and wheels, RSB, and shocks, probably in that order. Or, go whole hog, but you'll be in STX, which will be more competitive. You may have more fun, or at least run quicker, but you will be up against serious competition, which may be disheartening.
But... what about the Pilot Sport 4S not liking to be heat-cycled? Would that happen in Autocross (Solo)? I think they would heat up much less in Autocross than a higher speed track session.