GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AutoX Beginner

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I live in the snow belt, so my spare wheels go for a good set of snow tires. I am currently on the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 tires, a decent, cheap all-season. But, even the best all-season tires (Contis, at least from the standpoint of wet/snow safety) are not up to the same level as an average top-tier summer tire. Also, the summer temperatures and track temperatures in Cleveland aren't the same as in Florida, so that may (or may not) help with the heat issue.
That's an interesting idea to take the money saved with the Indys and spend it on a sway bar. I find the H&R bar is much more money than the Eibach, which is only slightly slimmer (but hollow?) I know the H&R is popular, but I've never seen a direct comparison. The Moog end links are "because you have it all apart anyway, and they will last" I'm assuming, not because they would help with the handling directly.
Going with cheap everyday tires to maximize my autocross tires... I'm not sure that would work *for me*. My car is a daily driver that I autocross, not an autocross car that I drive daily, if you get my meaning. That is... the autocross part isn't as important to me, it's just fun. It may be different for you, of course, that's fine. But, I'd rather have the steering precision and handling of the Michelins every day, and give up bit of time on the autocross (vs. the track-day-focused RE71R's).

The Moog endlinks are because a large swaybar and 1g cornering = broken plastic stock endlink. MS4S have more grip than Indy's, Indy's have better feel. I've got the Indy's on my son's 2018 GTI.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
I live in the snow belt, so my spare wheels go for a good set of snow tires. I am currently on the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 tires, a decent, cheap all-season. But, even the best all-season tires (Contis, at least from the standpoint of wet/snow safety) are not up to the same level as an average top-tier summer tire. Also, the summer temperatures and track temperatures in Cleveland aren't the same as in Florida, so that may (or may not) help with the heat issue.
That's an interesting idea to take the money saved with the Indys and spend it on a sway bar. I find the H&R bar is much more money than the Eibach, which is only slightly slimmer (but hollow?) I know the H&R is popular, but I've never seen a direct comparison. The Moog end links are "because you have it all apart anyway, and they will last" I'm assuming, not because they would help with the handling directly.
Going with cheap everyday tires to maximize my autocross tires... I'm not sure that would work *for me*. My car is a daily driver that I autocross, not an autocross car that I drive daily, if you get my meaning. That is... the autocross part isn't as important to me, it's just fun. It may be different for you, of course, that's fine. But, I'd rather have the steering precision and handling of the Michelins every day, and give up bit of time on the autocross (vs. the track-day-focused RE71R's).

The rear sway bar will transform the handling of the car in a positive way. The car will want to turn and rotate much better even in every day driving. I have the 24mm H&R and it was a MASSIVE improvement.

Endlink upgrades are for durability - the stock ones are plastic and are more likely to snap with a stiffer rear bar.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
FWIW I've never replaced the stock endlinks and I've had the 26mm H&R since day 3 I had the car to 75k miles I sold the car. The car was DD, and was regularly autoXed with multiple drivers in my time owning the car...

My MK7 was my 2nd car that I autoXed so I was not a beginner when I got to this car. But my previous was a MK6 GTI. First couple seasons I just autoXed on my DD summer tires. First year I had the totally stocked all season Pirellis that came with the car and just tried to learn the process of autocrossing, pretty painful to autocross on those. I bought PSS as daily tires(since I live in MI I have dedicated snows as well), and I DD and autoX on PSS. The change made it a lot easier to drive the car and you get more competitive. I don't autoX as much back then as I do now(not now currently with the virus thing), so the tires will last maybe a whole season between DD and autoX. At the end of the day what forces me to change tires usually is when they get sketchy to drive in the wet. I switched to 200TW to DD(whatever that was before RE71, they wear actually better than PSS if you autoX more). Once Rival/RE71R came out though I decided to just get another set of wheels and just use the DD tires as DD and AutoX tires as autoX. The DD tires works as autoX wet tires as well and you make both sets lasts longer on their respective tasks....

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's always hit or miss. I autocrossed in GS in 2 different mk7's with 26mm rsb and stock endlinks without issue, but a another local guy broke one. He was running on 200tw and lowering springs, though, so when I went STH I went with the Moog's. I'm thinking lowering the car adds stress to the endlinks.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Lowering for sure, I'd recommend something different if you are not in GS. You also would limit the travel and loading of the endlink if you lowered the car as well.
GS setup I think stock link is fine. And since the thread was about beginner I was assuming most would be focus on GS anyway...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Lowering for sure, I'd recommend something different if you are not in GS. You also would limit the travel and loading of the endlink if you lowered the car as well.
GS setup I think stock link is fine. And since the thread was about beginner I was assuming most would be focus on GS anyway...

You'd think, but I'm noticing most beginners are showing up with modded cars now a days. Novice and stock car don't go hand in hand as much as you'd think.