GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AutoX Beginner

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I'm thinking about trying my hand at autocross this summer. Right now I have a bone stock 19' GTI S. I've got the upgrade bug and have been debating a JB4 and a bigger RSB for fun dailying upgrades. If I'm reading the rules right a JB4 would put me out of GS into STH correct? A local guy typically has top 10 overall times in an 18' GTI in GS. It sounds like the only legal things in GS are one swaybar, tires with a treadwear of 200 or greater and shocks. I'm guessing the best plan is leave the car stock show up and see how I like it? Any recommendations for basic helmets?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Hi. I just did my first outing.

I did use 200 treadwear tires but I could have managed to do it on factory tires (as bad as they are) because I was just getting my feet wet.

I was using JB4 Map 1 but the boost kicks on/off a bit too abruptly for the lower speed course I was running. Factory map would have been more useful honestly. I do find Map 1 very useful on a larger road course however.

Amazon has a helmet “Conquer”. It’s cheap, SA2015. Happy with it.
Otherwise a G-Force open face helmet will do the job.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I was looking at that helmet. I may go full face since my good friend has a Miata I may try.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I ran GS the last 2.5 years. Mk7 is second fiddle to the Si in GS nationally, but still a top contender at local autocrosses. 26mm RSB, Konig Runlites 17 x 7.5, 245/40 17 RE71R's, and .2 toe out front, .2 toe in rear, -1.5 to -1.8 rear camber, and 32 psi front, raise or lower rear pressure from 32 psi starting point to get the rotation you want.

I replaced my old Gforce helmet last year with a Conquer. It's inexpensive, comfortable and I've had no problems with it.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking about trying my hand at autocross this summer. Right now I have a bone stock 19' GTI S. I've got the upgrade bug and have been debating a JB4 and a bigger RSB for fun dailying upgrades. If I'm reading the rules right a JB4 would put me out of GS into STH correct? A local guy typically has top 10 overall times in an 18' GTI in GS. It sounds like the only legal things in GS are one swaybar, tires with a treadwear of 200 or greater and shocks. I'm guessing the best plan is leave the car stock show up and see how I like it? Any recommendations for basic helmets?
If I'm reading the STH rules correctly, a car of your year only allows a ECU reflash and not a piggy back tube (which I believe the JB4 is).

Regardless of autox skill, the RSB is a great handling mod both on and off the track, makes the front end feel planted and the rear a little more playful, I would say start there. Run your stock tires for a bit, get some good ride alongs and advice from some more seasoned guys and let your own ability guide you to the mods. I've been autoxing my GTI for the last 3 years and I'm finally committing to a full STH build this year, so enjoy GS while you can, once the bug really kicks in it only gets more fun (read: expensive) from there!

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Tires are the biggest performance bang for your buck. I have instructed at the last few annual autocross schools put on by the local BMWCCA chapter. For obvious reasons, I am the resident Golf whisperer for the BMW club, and I seek out fellow GTI/R owners at these schools so that I can instruct them. I get to give demo drives in student cars at the limit at these schools. There is a huge difference in mechanical grip between a GTI on an all season tire, a 300tw tire, a 200tw tire, and a 100tw tire (also a huge difference in mechanical grip between a GTI and an R, and then there is my R...). If you want to spend money on your car, start with tires (edit: good summer tires would be the right starting point - forget all seasons and forget r-comps).

I don't have any particular opinion on helmets other than to observe that fit is key and each brand fits differently. The helmet should fit pretty snugly when it is brand new, but it will break in. It would be worth your while to find a local shop to try them on before buying. For autocross, an open face helmet is good enough safety-wise, and it makes it easier to talk to whoever is in your right seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: q74

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Going STH will not allow you to learn the car and driving as well, because it's too easy to use power to cover poor driving.

I 100% disagree that you'll learn more with a stock car in. GS. You'll only learn how much the car under steers. At a minimum, RSB, proper alignment, and a 300tw.

Take a starting lime school with a properly prep car if you want to accelerate your learning curve.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Thanks for all the advice! I had a bigger rsb on my mk5 and enjoyed it but the car was already on coil overs. I’ve been reading a lot about alignment specs as well. I think I’ll start with tires and a RSB and let you all know how it goes.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I started autox again in 2019 using the OEM Bridgestones. One word for my performance; slow. But I added an H&R 26mm RSB and enjoyed learning. The RSB gave me more confidence to push and frankly it is fun on a daily basis. Starting Line is on tap for early 2020 and I concur with the advice from GTIfan99. I plan to get the Konig RunLites, some good Summer tires, and get some instruction.

As someone else observed, Civic SI rules the nationals in GS.

Here is a YouTube compilation of Startling Line and EVO that I've compiled in case you want a head start.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuktrZUuxQrVHTcu_SuSPXe21Q1FvfZ8y

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Run what you brung. Just go out and have fun. If you can do a "learn to autox" class, they're awesome. I've actually done two of those and no real autox because there's so much more seat time in a class than a normal event.

Once you try it out, then start thinking about how to set up your car. Tires first (always), but don't go right for 200tw tires necessarily - something at 300tw like PS4S will be a little slower but way nicer for running daily (if you don't already have summer tires). Then you can look at rsb, alignments, etc.

That said, if you want to mod your car, go for it. Just realize if you get serious about autox you might end up accidentally pushing yourself into a super high class. I wouldn't sorry about it for now, just enjoy your car, you can always demod if needed later (also, there's talk of combining classes next year so I'd expect some rule changes anyway).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
PS4S are a great street tire, but they don't like to be heat cycled. If you're going to do a full season, they'll be heat cycled out well before the tread is gone.

I'd go for something that handles heat better.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I'm curious for your thoughts on heat cycling. I hope to run at least 5-6 events, Starting Line School, and if possible EVO phase 1.

My shortlist of street tires (don't want to waste money learning on UTQ 200s)
  • Falken Azenis FK510
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
  • Pirelli P Zero Nero GT
  • Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2
  • Yokahama Advan Apex V601
These are all less expensive than the PS4S so I'm not sure if their heat cycling capability will be better or worse.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
For autocross, Indy500 has the sidewall stiffness you want out of that group and hold up to autocross well. My son dailies on them and really likes them. I just ordered the FK510 for a pure street tire. I think it's the best all around budget tire in the category, though won't have the same feedback an the Firestones.

Only negative I've heard about the Firestones is that they can get greasy if you track them, but that won't be an issue in autocross, as you can just spray down the tires between runs.

BTW, is your car a PP?