GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech HPFP DIY/Tips

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Or maybe back to the oil / sludge theory.... once its cooked/dried it turns to more of a powder/deposit.... you know, Mobil 1 0w40 has a very high calcium content, lol. From what I understand the more mild "black death" cases were more like a powder and easily wiped off. It was the extreme cases that had the real sludge buildup and fuel pressure probably <1000psi etc., very obvious signs.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
But yeah anyways, let us know what you find, definitely curious to see where this one leads if you're willing to dig a little deeper. Presumably has nothing to do with the fact that you had upgraded internals.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I wonder if it's the ethanol or if it has to do with the oil you're running. The HPFP is driven off the intake cam, isn't it? What parts specifically are we looking at in the photo? is the white residue on the fuel side or the side that would have contact with the engine oil?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
white stuff = Aluminum oxide? You just added MPI right? The rail, fittings etc are anodized I assume? Maybe not well done and coming from that? Might be worth checking out the fuel system at various points to see if that white stuff is present or not.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
For those of you have undertaken this job what size bearing splitter did you use? I am looking at renting one from Autozone because I have no reason to buy the whole set and their smallest bearing splitter they rent has a max spread of 2.25”. Is this enough for the job or not enough?

2nd_mk7

Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Once you get the bearing splitter on, to get it perfectly under the retainer, hold the spring with a rag and channel locks/pliers and turn the splitter counter clockwise until both sides of the splitter come out of the spring. Basically using the spring as a screw to move the splitter under the retainer.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I don't believe I've seen a hard and fast number. Eqt has E30 generic 'base maps' for IS38 Stage 1 and 2 cars (pretty sure stage 2, definitely stage 1 with no hardware mods). So E30 is probably a safe bet if staying stock pump and it ends up being a sweet spot in terms of power potential vs fuel volume required for a lot of setups. That said, given the cheap price of hpfp....why not. That's why I got em anyways. I don't like living on the edge when it comes to fueling.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I don't believe I've seen a hard and fast number. Eqt has E30 generic 'base maps' for IS38 Stage 1 and 2 cars (pretty sure stage 2, definitely stage 1 with no hardware mods). So E30 is probably a safe bet if staying stock pump and it ends up being a sweet spot in terms of power potential vs fuel volume required for a lot of setups. That said, given the cheap price of hpfp....why not. That's why I got em anyways. I don't like living on the edge when it comes to fueling.

True, they are not awfully expensive. Well, something for me to think about.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Going to bump this back up. I did the install today and I have to say I was really worried about doing this but it was one of the easiest installs I've done on this car. This thread was very helpful and the Autotech instructions were great. I was able to get the retainer off as well without breaking it and used the screwing method to get the bearing splitter directly under the retainer. I did it in about an hour, and the only thing that slowed me down was getting the damn bolt on the hard line threaded back on the pump. Other than that super easy. Thanks again guys.

Also when you go to impact off the inside of the pump with your impact gun, check the socket and make sure it's clean. Because it would be really annoying if the last thing that socket was used for was changing bush hog blades and when you went to impact it off the socket dropped dirt, grass, and rust into your nice clean HPFP. And then you have to spend 15 minutes cleaning it out with 1 billion q tips. Not because I did it... But because uhhh a friend told me.