GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Automatic Start/Stop Kill Switch - on Ignition Start-up

Hugo Nebula

Ready to race!
Interesting to read what members think about stop/start, when stopped at traffic lights and so on I just press the throttle and the engine seems to fire up, until now I've learned to live with it, still think it a bit of a pain but can't be bothered to press the button every time I get into car.

I don't have a problem with it. If you know the lights are about to change, give a quick stab on the throttle to start it up, then it's ready to move away.

Hugo Nebula

Ready to race!
Doesn't this put unnecessary wear on your clutch?
I gather that this is the way drivers are taught nowadays (can anyone who's taken lessons in the last few years confirm?).

I went out with my nephew when he was learning (with me driving), and as a way of giving a little extra tuition asked him, "so what do you do when pulling up to lights?", expecting him to say, "foot on the brake, foot on the clutch, then into neutral". Instead he said he would keep his foot on the clutch as that was what his instructor had told him.

snailmeat

Ready to race!
I don't have a problem with it. If you know the lights are about to change, give a quick stab on the throttle to start it up, then it's ready to move away.
I find the start/stop feature a major irritation, and it's always the first thing I disable after I start the car.

Perhaps it's the heavy traffic here. If start/stop was enabled, I would probably find myself cranking the engine a good 6 to 7 times in my 10 min drive to work.

On top of that it's hot and humid here, so the air conditioning is always switched on. And I have this irrational fear of having the air conditioning running with the engine shut off.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk