GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Automatic Start/Stop Kill Switch - on Ignition Start-up

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure if this is of interest, but for many of us that have Start/stop fitted to our mk7s, the constant need to re-engage the native VW start/stop (S/S) switch on the centre console every time that the ignition is switched-on is both tiresome and difficult to understand. Why can't the centre console switch just remember the last setting ?

Well, a bunch of us Aussie have been tinkering with the concept of retrofitting a S/S kill switch into the wiring loom of a mk7 that has the effect of automatically turning-off S/S on ignition switch-on. The device will enable the driver to re-activate S/S should he/she so desire later into the journey. I know that S/S can be de-activated with a VCDS tweak, but the limitation of this approach is that S/S is permanently disabled, and the driver is left with that annoying "A" symbol with a slash on the dash.

At this stage there are two designs being trialled. Through the generous aid of a forum colleague, my circuit has been built and temporarily installed and preliminary results look promising (albeit, further testing is needed to evaluate the longer term suitability of my design). Whilst my design uses off-the-shelf components, another forum colleague has designed his own circuit which (I understand) will be trialled shortly.

If you have an interest, or you believe that you can add to discussion of the fledgling development of these devices, please come and join the debate. You will find the pertinenet thread HERE

Cheers
Don

JAT

Ready to race!
Interesting to read what members think about stop/start, when stopped at traffic lights and so on I just press the throttle and the engine seems to fire up, until now I've learned to live with it, still think it a bit of a pain but can't be bothered to press the button every time I get into car.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I personally would just use VCDS to change the threshold voltage so the car permanently disables it myself.

Its easily reversible....you just use VCDS to change the threshold back and write to ROM. Last thing I personally would want to do on a car with such complicated electronics is hard wire something in...massive warranty concerns for sure. Each to their own of course.

top-drawer

In the UK at least, any third party mods would have to be notified to insurers, who I've no doubt would no the happy about it unless tested and certified by someone or other. You can control the cut out by braking gently up to traffic lights or whatever, and it will not cut out. Press the brake harder and it will. Similarly, if you have stopped gently, engine is running and you want to stop it, press hard on the brake. That's what I discovered anyway, on a DSG. Manual may be different.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I was also going to say id wager those who dislike it have DSG equipped cars.

Its far less invasive on a manual version....Stop Start only cuts in if you place the car in neutral and lift the clutch.......i tend to sit in traffic in gear with the clutch depressed so it only ever cuts in if I take it out of gear and lift up. Those occasions I probably want the engine to stop anyway then its mearly a dab of the clutch to get it going again.

Its a bit like ACC was probably really developed with DSG auto in mind (as it works that bit better with an auto), stop start was developed around a manual and made to work with DSG.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Discovered that if S/S has cut in and steering wheel turned slightly, engine starts.
I would adjust the voltage using VCDS.

JAT

Ready to race!
In the UK at least, any third party mods would have to be notified to insurers, who I've no doubt would no the happy about it unless tested and certified by someone or other. You can control the cut out by braking gently up to traffic lights or whatever, and it will not cut out. Press the brake harder and it will. Similarly, if you have stopped gently, engine is running and you want to stop it, press hard on the brake. That's what I discovered anyway, on a DSG. Manual may be different.

Noticed that, you've solved the riddle as to sometimes it cuts out and sometimes it doesn't. It only works when the engine is up to temp I think. Thanks.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

Its far less invasive on a manual version....Stop Start only cuts in if you place the car in neutral and lift the clutch.......i tend to sit in traffic in gear with the clutch depressed so it only ever cuts in if I take it out of gear and lift up. Those occasions I probably want the engine to stop anyway then its mearly a dab of the clutch to get it going again.

Its a bit like ACC was probably really developed with DSG auto in mind (as it works that bit better with an auto), stop start was developed around a manual and made to work with DSG.

I have DSG and have no issue with SS.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
The kill switch is for sale long time a go ,I have it almost a year

it remebers the state of the start stop

so if you turn off the S/S it will stay off all the time ,every start . When You want the S/S to be active tap it and it goes to normal mode

http://www.active-sound.eu/en/start-stop-automatic-ssa/start-stop-automatic-memory-modul-ssam-modul

http://www.kfz-modul.com/

Dario: thanks for the response. The commercial unit is very expensive! (the two components in my design cost about $12 USD). If you have installed the unit, can you provide any information regarding where the cables are connected?
cheers
Don

marvin1

Ready to race!

BiB. My God, that is such bad driving practise that I won't comment further other than to say how often do you expect to replace certain clutch components especially the release bearing?:rolleyes:
Tut, tut.

Dario1

Ready to race!
Dario: thanks for the response. The commercial unit is very expensive! (the two components in my design cost about $12 USD). If you have installed the unit, can you provide any information regarding where the cables are connected?
cheers
Don

you take the gear stick surrounding ,take the left side cables,locate the middle for the SS ,unplug ,plug in the box ,from the box plug into the SS and all done :)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Doesn't this put unnecessary wear on your clutch?

Yes, it wears the thrust(throw out) bearing and is a bad driving habit to get into unless you don't mind spending money fitting new ones every few months.

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
Don,

What is the part number of the monostable unit you bought?

GP