GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autocrossing a TDI Sportwagon

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
My first post in MK7. I just traded in my 2013 GTI for a 2016 GTI with a manual trans and Power Package. Unfortunately I won't have it for a week, and the dealer put me in a loaner TDI Sportwagon.

So guess what we're racing today..:p

I have no expectations that it will do well, but it'll be fun and better than sitting on the sidelines.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Guys, the term "Rolling Coal" comes from the diesel vehicles blowing a lot of black smoke out of the exhaust making it look like a locomotive... not to be taken so literally lol. My Cummins Ram is quite good at this too, when cars ride my ass I just brake boost and I make those cars just disappear somehow lol.

Interesting, are those SportWagens AWD?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Interesting, are those SportWagens AWD?

No, but over here we get the R & alltrack versions which are 4wd.................:D

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
The real question is why put a big tacky sticker like that on a dub? Looks like it should be on a Cummins owned by someone from West Virginny. Also why is the dealer sticking such a large sticker on a loaner? Unless you just photoshopped that in there for kicks.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Well, the car did about as expected, lots of under steer, squealing and body roll. Also had to turn in earlier, especially in the slaloms, since the car wouldn't actually start changing direction until the body was done shifting it's weight. I need to remember to let some air out of the tires before I drive it the rest of the week. I have them rock hard, so I would't scuff up the sidewalls.

Believe it or not, it beat 3 autocross newbs, including an old guy in a Corvette.

Don't worry about the sticker, I just slapped it on for the race. It's already off. My weird sense of humor.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Well, the car did about as expected, lots of under steer, squealing and body roll. Also had to turn in earlier, especially in the slaloms, since the car wouldn't actually start changing direction until the body was done shifting it's weight. I need to remember to let some air out of the tires before I drive it the rest of the week. I have them rock hard, so I would't scuff up the sidewalls.

Believe it or not, it beat 3 autocross newbs, including an old guy in a Corvette.

Don't worry about the sticker, I just slapped it on for the race. It's already off. My weird sense of humor.

Oh, I definitely thought it was funny, just very confused by it being on a golf wagon! Nice work!

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Having a personal vinyl cutter and a 50' roll of white vinyl makes it too easy to make silly stickers on a whim..especially after a few beers on a Friday night. I stuck vinyl numbers on the doors for the race too.

SammieS1

@Chad1376 what kind of vinyl cutter do you have? Would you recommend it?

I'm looking for a vinyl cutter for some time now and can't make up my mind.

I mean I was looking through the net and read a bunch of reviews and didn't get smarter. It's like those reviews were written by people who have only read about the cutters.

I came across a different blog. The blogger is criticizing the brands. Maybe it's too much for my taste. Anyways I've read best commercial vinyl cutter review and got me thinking. More like I have a bunch of questions.

Can i get things done with a desktop machine? I don't have buckets of money to spare

Any input is highly appreciated

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Woah - a zombie post back from the dead ;)

I have this cutter - pretty much the cheapest I could find:
https://www.uscutter.com/14-inch-MH-Craft-Vinyl-Cutter

It works fine for home use - making numbers and typical racecar stuff. Even though it says 14", it really only accepts 12" wide vinyl, and only cuts a maximum 10" width from that.

If I had it do do over again, I'd buy the same brand, but get a wider cutter.

When I bought mine, it came with "Sure-Cuts-A-lot" software. It works OK, but is mostly intended for scrapbook crafters. I haven't used the Vinylmaster software that it comes with now. In any case, it doesn't require a super powerful PC. Just about anything should work.

If you want to get more creative, you can create designs with Inkscape (free/open source drawing software) or other vector drawing programs and import the files into the cutting software.

Whatever you do, do not buy a Cricut cutter. It only works with Cricut software, and does not allow vector files to be imported - you have to purchase files from them, and they severely limit what you can make on your own.

If you get your own cutter, keep it secret. Everyone will want you to make numbers for them - LOL

Last edited: