GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autocross legality (ST) of deadset kit?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Ground Control's camber plates can be adjusted from the bottom with the strut in place.

Yeah I'm aware of theirs and Vorshlags which can also be adjusted without dropping the strut. I'm gonna run the camber plates that are coming with my suspension and then if they give me issues I'll spend the $400 on new plates. Would rather wait until I have to

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just fit CSS knuckles. OEM part and gets you -2deg. It is hands down the best way to add neg camber to your car. It’s just not the cheapest way.

Not OEM in the US, so that doesn't help. Also, ST doesn't allow updating and backdating.

You can do either top mounts OR LCA, not both, period.

I got over -2 with just Eurosport camber kit.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Not OEM in the US, so that doesn't help. Also, ST doesn't allow updating and backdating.

You can do either top mounts OR LCA, not both, period.

I got over -2 with just Eurosport camber kit.
Meaning you can’t fit a newer revision of the same part?
That’s an extremely specific rule.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Welcome to SCCA classing. They get pretty far into the weeds unfortunately

Yeah, giant pain in the ass. I'd love if they update the rules to be more end-product specific rather than component specific, at least for suspension.

IE, street touring would allow up to +/-2 deg camber from factory alignment allowance, +/-1 degree caster, +/-1" wheelbase, +/-1.5" ride height (hub to fender), and all bushings must be rubber/urethane and same type. Other than that, doesn't matter how you get there.

Also means that any protest could be evaluated quickly on any alignment setup, rather than having to disassemble and review part numbers vs build dates...

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, giant pain in the ass. I'd love if they update the rules to be more end-product specific rather than component specific, at least for suspension.

IE, street touring would allow up to +/-2 deg camber from factory alignment allowance, +/-1 degree caster, +/-1" wheelbase, +/-1.5" ride height (hub to fender), and all bushings must be rubber/urethane and same type. Other than that, doesn't matter how you get there.

Also means that any protest could be evaluated quickly on any alignment setup, rather than having to disassemble and review part numbers vs build dates...

That is a pain. I’m on the panel in the state championship I run in. So I have some influence over the rules. We made a change for the upcoming season just like what you propose. We replaced a specific rule stating on how you could attain more neg camber, with a line that basically says max -3deg and we don’t care how you get it.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
bumping this since I'm thinking about camber options in STH and have Vorshlag plates. Do the rules prevent ”enhancing" the plates?

I'm thinking about replacing the top sliding metal of the plate with similar, thicker piece so that top nut can travel further before contacting the dome of the tower.

Also thinking about grinding down the top nut on one,.possibly two corners as well.

I can only get to 4.5 of 5 notches on the passenger side currently. Trying to imagine ways to get a little more to make slotting worthwhile.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
bumping this since I'm thinking about camber options in STH and have Vorshlag plates. Do the rules prevent ”enhancing" the plates?

I'm thinking about replacing the top sliding metal of the plate with similar, thicker piece so that top nut can travel further before contacting the dome of the tower.

Also thinking about grinding down the top nut on one,.possibly two corners as well.

I can only get to 4.5 of 5 notches on the passenger side currently. Trying to imagine ways to get a little more to make slotting worthwhile.

Modifying camber plates is fair game.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

This should be fine, they don't regulate what camber plates you put in so you're wide open there. Similarly, since you can change out struts, I don't see any issues in modifying them.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
This should be fine, they don't regulate what camber plates you put in so you're wide open there. Similarly, since you can change out struts, I don't see any issues in modifying them.
thanks guys.
I would guess in general, if they allow an aftermarket part, they wouldn't have an issue with a 'modified' after market part, unless specifically prohibited or if the mod created something prohibited.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
thanks guys.
I would guess in general, if they allow an aftermarket part, they wouldn't have an issue with a 'modified' after market part, unless specifically prohibited or if the mod created something prohibited.

That's the way I generally read it, since you could make your own camber plate if you wanted too, they don't regulate the design of it.