Autobahn's Golf R Clubsport Build

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
How do you like the Cup 2's?
They've been one of the best tires I have owned
  • They're quiet
  • Ok in the rain (we don't get much rain in SoCal)
  • Have lots of grip, comparable to the RE-71R
  • From a dig they just hook at 10psi/4k launch. I have a buddy that has a 35 series PS4S on his S3 with TPC38/Flex/DSG setup and he spins some on launch

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
What are your oil temps like, forgive me if I missed it but do you have an oil cooler installed?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
~145/150 through NASCAR 1 and 2 has to be wild in a street car.
Normally get up to a little over 150 for turn 1 and lift for turn 2 trying to maintain 130 through turn 2 then back on the gas to turn 3 to brake down to 40

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
What are your oil temps like, forgive me if I missed it but do you have an oil cooler installed?
When it's warmer in May/June I see up to mid 260's and then I usually back off.

I have an iAbed cooler that my engine builder installed with the engine, but the cooler was so big they decided to remove it rather than dealing with the fitment so they could get me the car back ASAP.

I'm now just tracking from October to late May where I see temps in the 240-250 range. Weather in the 80's and higher is when I start having issues.

I switched over to Torco SR-5 GDL 5-40, which I used for years in my R32. I'll see if that has any impact, at a bare min it provides more protection at high temps so I think I'm good for now.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
When it's warmer in May/June I see up to mid 260's and then I usually back off.

I have an iAbed cooler that my engine builder installed with the engine, but the cooler was so big they decided to remove it rather than dealing with the fitment so they could get me the car back ASAP.

I'm now just tracking from October to late May where I see temps in the 240-250 range. Weather in the 80's and higher is when I start having issues.

I switched over to Torco SR-5 GDL 5-40, which I used for years in my R32. I'll see if that has any impact, at a bare min it provides more protection at high temps so I think I'm good for now.
Weird that the cooler was an issue, with the engine going out/in it seems like it would be extremely simple to figure out. My filter adapter kit added basically no shop time on the re-install. Where do you log temps in the 240 range? On the gauge cluster, manual gauge, datalog...?

I assume you're pretty happy with the SR-5? That might be the nicest street oil I've seen, but man, I can change my oil 4x with M1 for the price :oops:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Weird that the cooler was an issue, with the engine going out/in it seems like it would be extremely simple to figure out. My filter adapter kit added basically no shop time on the re-install. Where do you log temps in the 240 range? On the gauge cluster, manual gauge, datalog...?

I assume you're pretty happy with the SR-5? That might be the nicest street oil I've seen, but man, I can change my oil 4x with M1 for the price :oops:

The adapter was no extra work the actual cooler itself is recommended to mount vertically, I’m thinking they had some challenges there.

I normally just monitor on the dash or radio gauges.

Yeah, that SR-5 is really nice, I initially wasn’t using any fancy oil but now that I’ve rebuilt it and I don’t put on many miles I thought I’d splurge.

My buddy that blew his Golf R motor was at the track with me this weekend. He mentioned his Garret turbo used to surge often. Did you ever have that issue? He said he’s just going to pick a hybrid for the new motor.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The adapter was no extra work the actual cooler itself is recommended to mount vertically, I’m thinking they had some challenges there.

I normally just monitor on the dash or radio gauges.

Yeah, that SR-5 is really nice, I initially wasn’t using any fancy oil but now that I’ve rebuilt it and I don’t put on many miles I thought I’d splurge.

My buddy that blew his Golf R motor was at the track with me this weekend. He mentioned his Garret turbo used to surge often. Did you ever have that issue? He said he’s just going to pick a hybrid for the new motor.
Which Garrett? I've heard that about the G25-660, the GT2260s isn't that bad. I'm having a local turbo shop rebuild my IS38 with a ball bearing CHRA. Figure that might be a bit more reliable long-term. (and much easier to tune for).

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Headed back out to Auto Club Speedway on Saturday, 11/5/22 and was able to get a new PB at 1:53.0 (ran a handful of them) with avg mph at 89.

Brakes
This time out I had installed my Brembo GTS kit, RacingLine (Goodridge) rear brake lines I had sitting around for ages, and some Race Technologies RE-10 front pads that RT recommended for my driving style. I like to go a little deeper and trail brake to apex coming off of a fast straight when possible. I found good feedback on Rennlist mentioning the wear rate is very low compared some other brands such as Raybestos and Ferodo. They’re an endurance pad made by Ferodo for RT from my understanding.

I used a Motive power bleeder for the first time with the aluminum master cylinder adapter. I opted for the dry method so I didn’t have to clean it out. I went around the car three times I then did a pump and hold method and got a little more air out. The end result was pedal engagement in the first 1/8 of pedal travel which inspires confidence.

Tires
This was my second time out on the V730’s in a 255/35/18. This time I didn’t wait two full laps to push, I went a little harder on the first lap so they would have enough heat to push starting on the second. That seemed to work well and I got my PB in the second heat after I had bedded my brakes during the first heat. I was able to match that PB for three straight laps. I ran the tires at 35psi hot and the sidewalls felt great, good turn in and decent wear. I’d like to add some more camber, currently at -2.4 up front.

During the third heat I experimented a little and pushed in some turns, over driving a tiny bit. The break away is very controlled with a small skid and catch. The track temps warmed up and I while it felt like I went faster the times weren’t.

The fourth heat I only ran half a heat, I ran out of E85 in my jugs and had a little more than a half a tank. I actually forgot that I needed to pull off early and the car cut fuel coming out of turn 9 mid-session so I pulled off.

Next Event
I’m headed back to Auto Club Speedway next weekend. This is probably the last event there for me unfortunately. Nascar is tearing down the track to take it from a 2-mile to a short track in March of 2023. I had been attending events there since 2008 at my first Fastivus in my R32.

I’m going to work on a few corners and probably turn it up from 25psi to 26. Weather is going to be in the high 50s to low 60’s so the car should run great into the third session…maybe even the fourth.

I also picked up a Mele battery mount and G30 Braille that will shed 30lbs over the front axle. Mele has Braille stuff a G30 battery into the G20 housing for a reduced overall size.

Here’s some pics from the event:

1FCD3DD1-2704-4EC4-8FEA-CE1C406DA4A8.jpeg

9A176D60-3541-4E9F-AD23-646AD89649E9.jpeg

EEC544B7-6885-498E-991D-314C06F9899D.jpeg

6DE43A6E-EBAE-4D6B-B297-9A45BB76722D.jpeg

ADA37B60-99BA-492F-ABE7-D5EC8D7F0013.jpeg

0163D3FA-5A79-4F39-B7F4-B54809DF8980.jpeg

Last edited:

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Your car looks great. Do the rear window vents work? Do they cut down on the buffeting? It's terrible in these cars, I could barely hear my instructor with just the front windows down.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Your car looks great. Do the rear window vents work? Do they cut down on the buffeting? It's terrible in these cars, I could barely hear my instructor with just the front windows down.
Thank you!

The Flow Design vents help under 100mph but the buffering still exists above though not as bad.

I just got a Stilo helmet, they have provisions for in car comms that’s very well designed which could help.

While I don’t care for how they look I wonder if those window deflectors help though they might fly off at speed, might be worth researching.

Let me know if you find anything that works 👍

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thank you!

The Flow Design vents help under 100mph but the buffering still exists above though not as bad.

I just got a Stilo helmet, they have provisions for in car comms that’s very well designed which could help.

While I don’t care for how they look I wonder if those window deflectors help though they might fly off at speed, might be worth researching.

Let me know if you find anything that works 👍
I used a set of weathertech rain guards, they work pretty well to reduce high-speed buffeting with both fronts down.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info. I wonder if both the WeatherTech guards and the Flow Design vents together would make a noticeable difference? Not the cheapest but I can't stand the buffeting.
The built in helmets coms are nice. I have to rely on the instructors coms with the ear piece that wedges in-between your ear and helmet.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Thanks for the info. I wonder if both the WeatherTech guards and the Flow Design vents together would make a noticeable difference? Not the cheapest but I can't stand the buffeting.
The built in helmets coms are nice. I have to rely on the instructors coms with the ear piece that wedges in-between your ear and helmet.
It sounds like the WeatherTech guards would do the trick.

IMO - I think the Flow Design vents add a little more style and would be nice combo!

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
In all years of tracking at Auto Club Speedway I finally got a pic of me going through turn 1 on the 14 degree banking. This was my final event in December of 22 before Nascar turns it into a short track this year. Pretty bummed though I had lots of fun tracking and meeting fellow enthusiasts since 2008.

I’m process of figuring what’s next for the car though I want some lighter track wheels, my Neuspeed 18x9 wheels come in at 22lbs. I was hoping Apex would have some forged wheels that would work with my Brembo GTS 350mm kit that are around 18lbs, but no dice with their latest launch, so my hunt continues.

Will probably make an appointment at Eurosport to get on their dyno very soon, more come!

F6F4A8AF-F68D-42E6-A648-C0C74E9C7665.jpeg

Last edited: